Why become a member? ×

Lakland Duck Dunn

niceguyhomer

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='223901' date='Jun 22 2008, 12:16 AM']Which pickups are fitted? Lindy Fralin?[/quote]

Good shout, if it's got Fralin's already fitted then a quick chat with Mr East might make a world of difference: [url="http://www.east-uk.com/jrhome.htm"]http://www.east-uk.com/jrhome.htm[/url]

Obviously known for his J circuits but I'm sure he could kit you out with something for a P :)

Not a huge amount of work involved and because it's all beneath the scratch plate then there's no lasting damage if you don't like it. Would be fairly easy to sell on again afterwards I reckon.

[quote]a quick chat with Mr East might make a world of difference[/quote]

I agree wholeheartedly and with experience of mods devaluing a bass. Therefore there's a risk involved if the mod doesn't produce the hoped for results.

If you were going for a John East pre-amp I'd personally stump for Alan Crinean's John East made ACG02 filter based pre-amp. At the risk of 'going on about it too much' it's an amazing pre that in my opinion knocks spots off a conventional pre. Not that John's pre-amps aren't great too.

It's a shame (for comparison purposes) Alan that I've replaced the Thumper on my Warmoth P with the Darkstar but if you ever want to give the ACG02 pre-amp a whirl I'm more than happy for you to try it. The pre is so easy to install too. I've an '02' in a Jazz AND a Modulus Flea too if anyone up North wants to try em out (Plus an '01' in my ACG Harlot).

Yes I'm a convert :)

Peter

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='223798' date='Jun 21 2008, 07:43 PM']The band consists of guitar, bass, drums and vocals and we play classic soul / 60s stuff. Given that, you'd think a P would be the perfect choice really but in our situation, something like a Stingray or a good Jazz is actually better.

Because we're playing stuff that normally relies on brass / keys etc etc, I play some of the melody to songs and I need something that's quite full sounding and at the same time, articulate. Truth is, a Precision fills out the bottom end very nicely but they don't have the definition for what we do.[/quote]
+1. A nice jazz or stingray will give you more versatility which it sounds like you need in that band setting. You can get a near enough p-bass tone with the jazz if you need that tone. The stingray will get just about eveery tone with a bit more knob tweaking and they cut through better than a jazz IMO.

Have you thought of a nice custom from AGC? Might be worth a visit to his shop. You may be able to rent one to try in your band setting. Or, take Pete up on his offer to try one of his. You've played enough different sounding axes to get an idea if the tone would work for you.

Good luck Alan.

+2 for the ACG preamps. The ACG 02 EQ would be great for your Lakki but they take a bit of getting use to.
But when you suss it, it's all gravy.
Only problem you would have would be putting another hole in the scratch plate, so you might as well sell the Lakki, get a Jazz to see you through until your ACG is finished being built. :)

+2 KEEP IT MAN, ITS GORGEOUS!!! if i had a spare £600 i would have have this now, to add to the lovely musicman sterling i now own and youve made famous in BGM.
PS my apologies for not phoning been busy getting a house sorted- all the best LEE

+1
[/quote]

Edited by lee650

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='224039' date='Jun 22 2008, 11:10 AM']Right, I'm off to Kendal to see my good mate Peter and try his ACG Preamp. Gonna take him to the pub, get him pissed and swipe his Modulus Flea when he's unconscious.

I'm hoping this rescue mission results in this lovely bass being withdrawn later.[/quote]
Bloody good move Alan.
I played Peter's Hatrlot at the Lytham do and at first I was really confused, but after a couple of minutes "tuition", I think that it is the most amazing pre-amp I have ever used. The idea is so simple, but amazingly effective. I believe Stanley Clark is having a filter based pre fitted to his latest basses.
Great thing is, if it works, the bass is saved.
Really hope it works out for you Al.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='224429' date='Jun 22 2008, 08:26 PM']Well I'll let Alan update. It was great to see Al and Hazel and a good time was had by all :)

Peter[/quote]

Braved the atrocious weather / flying trees and made it to Peter's place on one piece. Played some of his luvverly basses - highlights for me were the Modulus Flea (a life changing experience) and his ACG single cut, which is a work of art. I also plugged in my DD through Peter's rig - we both use a LMII but Peter's cab if a BFM 2x10 whereas I use 2 Bergantino 112s and I couldn't get over how good the Lakland sounded through it. Like the absolute gent he his, Peter's kindly lent me the cab to try out with the band this week.

Most of his basses are active - some have Alan's preamp in and they all sounded really sweet to me and all with astounding range and versatility. Peter's also approached Alan about my problem but apparently it wouldn't be a straightforward proposition fitting one of his preamps.

I've come away thinking maybe I need to go back to an active bass and change my cabs for something with 10" speakers. If this BFM cab does the job, I'll maybe get someone to build me one (It'd look like an MFI sideboard if I did it).

I don't think I'm going to modify the DD remembering what happened with Peter's Bob Glaub. I'm such a fussy bugger and very conscious of the fact that I could spend £300 on modifications and still not like what I hear.

So for now, the Duck Dunn is still up for sale and I'm dreaming of a Modulus Flea.

[quote name='Ted' post='224468' date='Jun 22 2008, 09:23 PM']Did you get my PM, offering a swap with my Lakland Darryl Jones?

ted[/quote]

No ted - just checked my inbox - nowt there mate.

Just my terminology Steve, I remember playing a blue sparkly one a few years back on the Wirral (Waldo's) and being really impressed by everything apart from the colour.

Peter's is a nice sunburst, the neck is without any doubt, the nicest neck I've ever played and it sounded sweet as a nut. I'd have it in a flash but he doesn't want to sell but all good things come to those who wait :)

Edited by niceguyhomer

Alan if you like the vintage look have you tried any of the Sadowsky jazzes yet?
You are welcome to try my standard 4, it has the vintage tone control which is very useful.
This comes standard with the NYC model.

Good luck with the sale of your DD, nice bass.

I finally got to see a Duck Dunn in the flesh! This is a lovely bass, have no qualms about its condition. I also thought is sounded particularly well defined for a P bass. very nice indeedy :)

As for the VTC on the Sadowsky I had one fitted to my Metro and it was a worthwhile addition.

Peter

[quote name='wayne58' post='224908' date='Jun 23 2008, 12:03 PM']Alan if you like the vintage look have you tried any of the Sadowsky jazzes yet?
You are welcome to try my standard 4, it has the vintage tone control which is very useful.
This comes standard with the NYC model.

Good luck with the sale of your DD, nice bass.[/quote]

I may well be looking at Sadowskys when my wallet recovers from my holiday. I'm getting a lot of pain in my left shoulder when I play and if it doesn't improve, I'll be looking to buy something very light.