Why become a member? ×

New amp recommendations

yanto

My TE AH300SMX has died and I'm looking for a new head. Mostly play rock with a US P Deluxe and an 8 ohm Eden Nemesis 4x10 cab. I used the no 2 preshape on the TE which gave me a sound I liked pretty much most of the time. My requirements would be 300W minimum, decent onboard compressor, not over-complicated eq, quality DI.
So far I've been looking at RH450, Eden WT series, Markbass. Some reviews of RH450 say they are fussy with cab matching. Money is not a concern, within reason.
I would welcome any thoughts and advice
Cheers
Iain

Having had virtually the same set-up as you, yanto (but passive Precision), I had the Ampeg PF500 which sounded great when all paired together. Now there have been some issues with the PF500s, but am yet to read any about the PF800s which have the same features including on-board compressor and pre-shape settings. I did have the TC Classic 450 with this set-up too, more versatile, but not as "Ampeggy".

But all that said I`ll echo my usual recommendation - go and see some live bands and when you hear bassists with tone you like, check their gear out. And when it always seems to be the same brand, go and buy one. That`s how I ended up with Markbass. Never heard one in the mix where I didn`t like the tone. And I find that part very important, as generally sounds I like in the mix are ones I don`t like when played solo.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1381660707' post='2241840']
Having just acquired a Little Mark 800 I can say I am delighted. It's light as a feather and has enough power to knock pictures off walls!!

It's a digital amp, so if a valve amp is your thing it won't be for you.
[/quote]

Brutal power love mine!

Liking the sound of the Streamliner and Little Mark 3/Little Rocker. The valve stages interest me and it looks like it can do lots of sounds from valvey to more hifi. Looks like it's simple to dial in as well. I've got the tonehammer pedal already.
I'm 350 miles north of you Thunderpaws so Bassdirect aint an option!

Well, I am 350 miles north if bassdirect so I agree, it's toofar to drive for a test. UIf you are passing/ in the central belt and want to try a streamliner you can try mine if you want.

To hear how it sounded in rehearsal last week have a search on soundcloud for guitarmaggedon and look for the latest uploaded tracks. That was with 3 guitarists and loud drummer in a small room, through a focus 210. It's 375 watts at 8 ohm and 600 at 4. Plenty. Wad played through my G&L L2000

I'd certainly recommend a separate compressor pedal and amp head, purely because you will limit yourself so much if you stick to and amp with an onboard compressor (most of which are pretty so-so anyway). if you want clean, crisp and punchy, also look at the GK MB line of amps. Specifically the MB500 and MB800. Very small and light too. Similar to the Markbass little marks, but with more bite and treble if you want it. I always find the Markbass amps a little lacking in that area for me.
For compressors check out ovnilab.com for an unbeatable review of virtually all available pedal compressors out there.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1381796451' post='2243992']
Another vote for Genz.

I have a Shuttle 9.2 and a Streamliner 900. they are quite different but they sound ace.
[/quote]

+1 for Genz

I have the shuttlemax 9.2 and it sounds excellent.
There are some great deals on at bass direct at the moment too.

Cheers

Thebassman