Why become a member? ×

Prefer playing guitar unless in a band?

Greggo

I've often thought about what I prefer playing guitar or bass. I started on guitar some 17 years ago and started dabbling in bass about 4 years later when I bought my first encore p bass copy (actually a very nice sounding bass in retrospect having listened back to some recordings from the past!)

I used it primarily to lay down bass lines on the songs I had recorded on my 4 track but I absolutely loved doing the bass parts and couldn't wait to put them on!

When I joined college I started playing in bands but my instinct was to play bass and I enjoyed it. In the few various bands that followed over the years including the present I'm still taking care of the bottom end. I did join a band as guitarist for a change once and it was alright but part of me was jealous that I wasn't laying down the bass parts.

But it's weird when I'm at home I seem to get more enjoyment from playing the 6 string than bass. But I prefer to play bass in a band situation and I don't want for being the guitarist? I feel like my place in a bands is the bass (and I love playing bass in bands) but I also love the creation of riffs / passages on guitar at home.

Anyone else like this or are you hardcore bass all the way?

Edited by Greggo

I like recording guitar parts. I sometimes write on guitar, too. But I have no desire to play guitar in a live situation. I have done it once or twice though and spent most of the time frowning at the bass player, thinking, '[i]I[/i] should be over there doing that. Only better.' :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1381614464' post='2241524']
I like recording guitar parts. I sometimes write on guitar, too. But I have no desire to play guitar in a live situation. I have done it once or twice though and spent most of the time frowning at the bass player, thinking, '[i]I[/i] should be over there doing that. Only better.' :D
[/quote]

Haha, yeah I'm the same. When I did play guitar it was weird because I wasn't used to not being the bass player and I found myself either really enjoying what he was doing or as you say thinking I would do that different. He was very good though to be fair and I did get some good ideas from him which I may have subconsciously adapted through osmosis!

[quote name='Slatfatf' timestamp='1381614956' post='2241533']
Agree with you Greggo. I started on guitar but after learning to play bass I knew that I was better as a bass player.

At home I prefer playing guitar, but HAVE to be in a band to play bass! Many on here won't understand that but I do...
[/quote]

Yeah definitely. I suppose people that play basses as a solo instrument and do lots of clever things on it probably don't have any desire to play guitar, but I personally believe bass is a support instrument in a band and I like being that support.

There is nothing better than dropping out for a few bars during a song then coming thundering back in and seeing everyone in band smile because everything sounds so good. I'm not a particularly flash player (but nor I am a root notes only all the time kind of player) but I love the idea that without me playing it would sound rubbish!

Edited by Greggo

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1381615316' post='2241541']
Yeah definitely. I suppose people that play basses as a solo instrument and do lots of clever things on it probably don't have any desire to play guitar, but I personally believe bass is a support instrument in a band and I like being that support.

There is nothing better than dropping out for a few bars during a song then coming thundering back in and seeing everyone in band smile because everything sounds so good. I'm not a particularly flash player (but nor I am a root notes only all the time kind of player) but I love the idea that without me playing it would sound rubbish!
[/quote]

This is so true.

I love noodling on my acoustic guitar but bass is where my heart is in a band situation. I used to get p*ssed off when someone would come round to my house and see the bass and say, go on, play me a tune. Twunts. It don't work like that. That's why I bought a guitar to shut the 'ckers up.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1381615785' post='2241544']

This is so true.

I love noodling on my acoustic guitar but bass is where my heart is in a band situation. I used to get p*ssed off when someone would come round to my house and see the bass and say, go on, play me a tune. Twunts. It don't work like that. That's why I bought a guitar to shut the 'ckers up.
[/quote]

Yeah that must be annoying, or when people ask if you can play the "formula one" bassline (because that's the only famous bassline!)

I used to always prefer playing guitar, to the point where I only played bass when I was with my band, never practiced at home at all, until I joined my punk covers band, The Daves, in 2009. As they were fairly well known and had a following, I knew I had to up my game, so bought a practice amp, and play regularly at home. Since then, I rarely pick up my guitar, to the point where I`ve realised it`s sat there doing nothing so I`m selling it.

Love playing bass, but it's a limited instrument imho. Even when recording stuff at home, I feel the guitar is missing. I'm worse than crap on guitar, but I intend to buy a cheap one and try and learn a few licks to put in future recordings. If I was in a band again , it would always be bass for me.;)

I suppose my love of bass is clear in that I joined a bass forum (I'm not a member of a guitar forum) and I don't have any burning desire to be a guitarist again live.

I do still practice my bass chops at home, but then probably only in last year since I purchased my new basses - I hadn't bought a new bass since my first encore which I sold when I was given an unwanted 5 string yamaha which I used for about 11 years for playing live and recording stuff (which I always thought was a bit cack and a new bass confirmed it - in hindsight the encore played and sounded better!)

Edited by Greggo

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1381618216' post='2241574']

You mean you nicked 'em? :D
[/quote]

I'm not gonna lie, there was one bass line I nicked from him. But then it was a bass line he played over one of my riffs and when band split I made the riff into a song and used his line.. does that count... ;)

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1381618861' post='2241585']
...it was a bass line he played over one of my riffs and when band split I made the riff into a song and used his line.. does that count... ;)
[/quote]

Yes, but it doesn't matter. There [i]are [/i]only 13 notes, after all. ;)

I play more guitar than bass to be honest but I know I'm a better bass player than guitarist so that's what I end up playing in bands. But I feel the time may be coming for me to play guitar again in a band situation soon. Just something I need to get out of my system I think.

I play bass in band situations but tonight I did a duo gig with a girl singer and I played guitar for the night. Everything from Jessie J to Edith Piaf. Nowhere to hide and I had to learn 37 numbers over the last 10 days. Some were really easy 4 chord jobs and some not so easy due to the keys she sings in as I hate using a capo. However, it was a fun challenge putting some real effort into playing guitar and, a great night to boot so I've agreed to do more gigs.

Still love bass though.

I started off on bass when I was 16* and picked up a guitar a couple of years later and I've played guitar in various folk duo's and bands over the years.

If someone twists my arm (it doesn't need much twisting ;)) then I'll play guitar, but I'm primarily a bassist.

[size=1][size=2]*So that's about 10 years ago.[/size][/size][size=2] [/size] :rolleyes:

I started on bass & didn't start dabbling with guitar (and also a bit of keyboards) until years later.
I got to a point where I was playing guitar almost exclusively & didn't touch a bass for ages.
Even though I'm an absolutely appalling guitarist I just enjoyed messing about with chords & stuff far more than just thumping away on a bass (I wasn't in a band or gigging during this period so this probably had a lot to do with it).

I've recently gone back the other way & for the last 8 months or so have been playing far more bass - this is due to being involved in a couple of recording projects & getting back into gigging again.

I agree with the OP but for me picking up the guitar is again all about rhythm work, I have never had any desire to be a lead guitarist but love playing rhythm guitar and taking the rhythms back and forth between bass and guitar...I think it makes me better and more creative on both instruments