Why become a member? ×

If you lost one of your arms...

mcgraham

After watching the video of the one handed bass player a few years ago, I have often wondered what I would do (musically) if I lost one of my arms. And so I ask you, what would you do???

I decided it'd be worth working harder on my vocal ability, which I started doing since then (in order to not just be a bass playing musician. I also have a harmonica that I play intermittently that I'd throw myself into practicing if I was unable to continue playing bass as I do.

So people, what about you?

Mark

You could think about a touch-style instrument such as a [url="http://www.stick.com/instruments/sb8/"]Stick Bass[/url] or [url="http://www.stick.com/instruments/ns/"]NS Stick[/url]. The latter would be my choice, since I already like headless instruments. Of course, in a thread of this title, it's only a matter of time before someone mentions Bill Clements:

[quote name='Buzz' post='222292' date='Jun 19 2008, 05:35 PM']Return to trumpet (or it's slightly smaller brethren, the cornet). It's doable one handed if you've got a strong arm and fingers, and you could jury rig up something to attach it to your forearm most likely.[/quote]

That'd be my choice, Well, that and the bone. I don't think i'd stoop to singing though... Believe it or not I do have some principals. :)

Trumpet? Chromonica? French Horn (one hand possibly but maybe not one arm)? Tuba? Didgeridoo? Euphonium? Eb horn? Composing music on a computer for playback or composing using a DAW music or Sibelius for others to play? Various percussion instruments? Synth? Slide guitar (same as French Horn although there is a slide player out there with [i]no[/i] hands who plays slide with his feet - its on Youtube somewhere). And, as was said, the voice, the most sophisticated instrument of all.

A life in music is not determined by the number of arms/hands/digits you have but by your passion and ingenuity. The only barrier to a fulfilling and rewarding life as a player and musician would be your mind.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='222297' date='Jun 19 2008, 04:40 PM']I know it's not a nice thought, but it's a bit of a predicament isn't it![/quote]

I'd be lying if I said...ohhh, I go into sound engineering, or I'll be ok, I'll play the triangle (on a stand)....think I'd breed dogs...maybe.

I'd look at pictures of Myleen Klass only half as much :)

If you mean what if something stopped me playing.... not sure. I'd like to be involved in music still , probably as a singer in a pub band - Alex Harvey/Ian Dury style - character based.