Why become a member? ×

New Bass Day...My First Foray into 5 Strings!

Jonnyboy Rotten

Congrats, nice bass for not much cash!

I think .045"-.130" is about the popular gauge for 5ers, but personally I prefer to go a bit lighter ( usually .040-.125"). It really all depends on the bass and your playing style though, you'll only find out what works best for you through trial and error.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1381091194' post='2234335']
They really are great instruments, I have an mm4 (silhouette guitar) and its brilliant!

I was all about 125 b strings when I first started on fives but my rays do work best with a 130 imo, green pack of ebmm ones being the obvious choice :)
[/quote]

These ones? : [url="http://www.ernieball.co.uk/p/regular-slinky-5-string-bass-nickel-wound-045-130?pp=8"]http://www.ernieball.co.uk/p/regular-slinky-5-string-bass-nickel-wound-045-130?pp=8[/url]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1381138252' post='2234687']
What about flats?

I put Lakland flats on my 5 string Lull Pbass and it went from a great tone to another level of great tone.
[/quote]

do flats tend to be taughter than rounds?

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1381139742' post='2234720']
Pretty sure I had a 130 on the B of my OLP MM3 when I had it.
[/quote]

Thanks for your helps, sounds like 130 is the one!

I think the 'floppy' B string is something that you need to get used to for a few weeks. Personally I like .125 because the .130 feels far too fat for me. I've never played a 5er that has had a similar tautness to an E for example.

I found I had to adjust my playing style slightly to get used to the extra play you get from a longer, less taut string.

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1381148650' post='2234925']
I think the 'floppy' B string is something that you need to get used to for a few weeks. Personally I like .125 because the .130 feels far too fat for me. I've never played a 5er that has had a similar tautness to an E for example.

I found I had to adjust my playing style slightly to get used to the extra play you get from a longer, less taut string.

Truckstop
[/quote]

Wise words from Mr Truckstop as ever, I was just thinking the same thing. I'm not sure what scale your bass is but I play a 34 inch 5 stringer and B strings are always a bit floppy in comparison with the rest. I have got used to it and don't think about anymore. I play it like a 4, adding on the B string as I need it. That works well for me.. The B is also great for adding "low down slides, grunts and snorts" as required.

The alternative is to go for a bass with a 35 inch or even longer scale. This certainly helps the B to feel and play like the other strings but for me it feels strange moving between basses of different length scales.

Also check out Status Hotwire strings, they work well for me.

Note: You do need a bass with a rock solid neck though. I have played a couple of 5's that have been horrible.

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1381148347' post='2234914']
....do flats tend to be taughter than rounds?....
[/quote]

I've no idea.

I tend not to bother analysing much.

I just work on the premise that if I change something on my rig and it sounds better and it doesn't impact the way I play then it's a good move. Moving to flats was a good move for me.

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1381148347' post='2234914']
....do flats tend to be taughter than rounds?....
[/quote]

Isn't that what you want?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1381153269' post='2235006']
I've no idea.

I tend not to bother analysing much.

I just work on the premise that if I change something on my rig and it sounds better and it doesn't impact the way I play then it's a good move. Moving to flats was a good move for me.

Isn't that what you want?
[/quote]

Yes - I would like it to be a bit taughter, but given my question and that you suggested flats, I was just wondering if you suggested flats because they are less flappy than equivalent rounds or it was just a random (but welcome) suggestion! ;)