Why become a member? ×

Nine Inch Pinos

olliedf89

I'm a massive fan of The Downward Spiral/The Fragile (2nd and 3rd albums) period. Fuzzy, distorted, beautiful, mad, poetic, experimental and angry. Everything that's good about music exists on those two albums. All that is loud, quiet, fast, slow, ugly, pretty, happy and sad has a place here. Most of the songs are about drugs or shagging.

After The Fragile it gets a bit less melodic and melancholy and gets more percussive, digital and electric. Pretty Hate Machine (the first album) is industrial rock and is probably the album that's easiest to listen to.

The best thing to do would be to grab hold of '...and all that could have been'. A live album with material from the first 3 albums and an EP (Gave Up is a stunning track btw). It's a good mix and the engineering on the album is incredible, get the DVD or watch it on YouTube. Well worth watching!

NIN is a journey you'll never tire of. Reznor is a genius!

Truckstop

[quote name='olliedf89' timestamp='1380231920' post='2222733']
But of course, sir. My favourite thing NIN has ever done is the Still EP. Also known as And All That Could Have Been Disc 2.

Basically, if u want electronic pop stuff go Pretty Hate Machine. Aggression and industrial go to Broken and Downward Spiral.
All out genius, ambient and aggressive The Fragile, With Teeth is more rocky and live orientated with Mr Dave grohl on drums. Probably my favourite.

Year Zero is crazy heavy electronic synthy industrial. Absolutely nuts but not the strongest, same with The Slip and Ghosts for me. Hesitation Marks is the new one and is mostly electronic beats and synth orientated but still has some outstanding moments.

I would start with The Downward Spiral and The Fragile followed by With Teeth.

Haha hope that helps!
[/quote]

Lovely, cheers for that. I'm actually a big Telefon Tel Aviv fan so logically I should enjoy NIN what with Josh Eustis joining them recently.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1380232160' post='2222740']
I'm a massive fan of The Downward Spiral/The Fragile (2nd and 3rd albums) period. Fuzzy, distorted, beautiful, mad, poetic, experimental and angry. Everything that's good about music exists on those two albums. All that is loud, quiet, fast, slow, ugly, pretty, happy and sad has a place here. Most of the songs are about drugs or shagging.

After The Fragile it gets a bit less melodic and melancholy and gets more percussive, digital and electric. Pretty Hate Machine (the first album) is industrial rock and is probably the album that's easiest to listen to.

The best thing to do would be to grab hold of '...and all that could have been'. A live album with material from the first 3 albums and an EP (Gave Up is a stunning track btw). It's a good mix and the engineering on the album is incredible, get the DVD or watch it on YouTube. Well worth watching!

NIN is a journey you'll never tire of. Reznor is a genius!

Truckstop
[/quote]

Nice shout on the live album. If you can, have a look for the Beside You In Time DVD, it's 'king amazing, there's plenty of decent vids on youtube as well. Seeing them live realllly helps to convey what they're about, the light production and aggression mixed with impeccable sound!

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1380232167' post='2222741']
Lovely, cheers for that. I'm actually a big Telefon Tel Aviv fan so logically I should enjoy NIN what with Josh Eustis joining them recently.
[/quote]

There's a couple of Telefon Tel Aviv remixes of Fragile era material floating around (think they were used as b-sides) that are worth a listen.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1380232160' post='2222740']
I'm a massive fan of The Downward Spiral/The Fragile (2nd and 3rd albums) period. Most of the songs are about drugs or shagging.
[/quote]

Apparently Trent hates the fact that 'Closer', a song about extreme self hatred is now a 'titty bar' anthem :)

[quote name='Ruiner' timestamp='1380276227' post='2223077']
Apparently Trent hates the fact that 'Closer', a song about extreme self hatred is now a 'titty bar' anthem :)
[/quote]
It's a belting song either way, He should be aware of the seductive tunes he writes.

I've heard some of the new album & i'm very impressed with what I've heard so far. I'm an old fan of NIN & Everything that Trent does.....I still love Perfect Drug, it's one of my all time favorite tunes

Edited by fumps

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1380278241' post='2223112']
It's a belting song either way, He should be aware of the seductive tunes he writes.

I've heard some of the new album & i'm very impressed with what I've heard so far. I'm an old fan of NIN & Everything that Trent does.....I still love Perfect Drug, it's one of my all time favorite tunes
[/quote]

Haha agreed. The Downward Spiral is one of my favourite albums of all time. Not as keen on some of the newer stuff but the Social Network soundtrack was great, and there's only one song on the new album I'm not too fond of. The new album tracks sound even better live from the youtube clips I've seen. That snippet with Pino on sounded like a whole new beast (with the female backing singers and all), but equally brilliant.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1380232160' post='2222740'] Most of the songs are about drugs or shagging. [/quote]

Are you trying to tell me that The Big Comedown isn't about a huge slide and that Starf***ers, Inc isn't just a clever jab at people who drink at well known coffee chains?

I'm not convinced <_<

I think With Teeth is a good "gateway" album to NIN. It was recorded after a long hiatus and with Trent Reznor clean of drugs and drink, by all accounts a sharp contrast to the sessions for some of the earlier material.

Its a lot more concise, focused and song-driven than previous stuff but still contains all the elements that make them (well, him!) such an enticing prospect - the mix of melody and aggression, of electronics and live playing - its their 'pop' record in the sense that it condenses a lot of the hallmarks of their sound into a set of tight, well arranged songs with all the fat trimmed off.

Oh, and it's Dave f***in' Grohl too. Because why the hell not?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1380298615' post='2223514']
Pino will also excel in any given musical situation......but for me, JMJ was the ultimate NIN bassist! :)

Si
[/quote]

I always struggle to decide whether I preferred Jeordie or Justin playing bass for NIN - it's so close I just can't choose between them.

Unfortunately, after watching some videos from the Tension tour, I'm really disappointed with Pino. Excellent bassist, not going to dispute that, and because his comfort zone is purely bass, NIN has live bass on songs like Head Like A Hole, Wish and March Of The Pigs now, which has never happened before. But he just looks so out of place, is completely stationary while playing and to be honest, looks entirely uninterested in being there :( I'm sure that's not the case, but that's just the way it comes across.

[quote name='silentbob' timestamp='1380314462' post='2223850']
Although not an actual NIN album, I would highly recommend giving the "Natural Born Killers" soundtrack a listen. Another well put together Trent Reznor project.
[/quote]

That's the album/film that properly got me into Leonard Cohen!
:D

[quote name='TomWIC' timestamp='1381234010' post='2236090']
I always struggle to decide whether I preferred Jeordie or Justin playing bass for NIN - it's so close I just can't choose between them.

Unfortunately, after watching some videos from the Tension tour, I'm really disappointed with Pino. Excellent bassist, not going to dispute that, and because his comfort zone is purely bass, NIN has live bass on songs like Head Like A Hole, Wish and March Of The Pigs now, which has never happened before. But he just looks so out of place, is completely stationary while playing and to be honest, looks entirely uninterested in being there I'm sure that's not the case, but that's just the way it comes across.
[/quote]
I really enjoyed the 'mood' jeordie brought to NIN, knowing his musical background helped make it all the more exciting for him to bethere for me, plus of course he was flanked by Aaron North and it was my first NIN live experience so for me I think he cuts it's slightly more but since learning more about JMJ I'm beginning to think he was probably the best suited musically out of the pair.

On the Pino theme, I totally agree, the videos I see are the usual chaos on stage with a 50-something Welshman bobbing his head in the middle... Definitely seems out of place... Maybe he should stand at the back next to Cortini and Ilan? Still bring the low end but behind the chaos?

I wonder if he'll still be in the groove when they get to the UK in April..?

[quote name='TomWIC' timestamp='1381245427' post='2236343']
They'll be here in April?! :o
[/quote]

In an interview Trent did with Zane Lowe before the London gig in August he told us they'd be over in April. Technically Zane told Trent as he didnt have a clue but his manager had already told Zane hah!

So yeah, looks like we get some NINage next year, fingers crossed for Brixton or Hammersmith over Wembley or the O2. Such bad venues now.