Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nine Inch Pinos

olliedf89

So this morning I came across this link on a NIN facebook page, it comes from Trent's instagram account and shows the new touring lineup for 2013/14 on a short rehearsal clip.

It clearly features none other than lovely Mr Pino Palladino. We know he played on their latest album, Hesitation Marks, but how do people think he will fit in with the overall live NIN experience? Seen them a few times and the bass is always chunky, bold and usually scuzzy as hell.

Assuming he is the sole bass player for the tour, do you think his lovely dulcet flatwound tones are going to suit, or should we expect a totally different Pino? Should we expect a different NIN?

I'm a big fan of both so I'm looking forward to it either way.

[url="http://instagram.com/p/eteB35TPXy/"]http://instagram.com/p/eteB35TPXy/[/url]

It's a totally different NIN. Less aggression, more poppy. There's loads of full length 2013 tour videos on Youtube.

EDIT: also it's Alessandro Cortini, Josh Eustis, and Trent swapping bass duties, live, at the moment

Edited by bartelby

As far as I'm aware (and I've seen no statements or info to say otherwise), Josh Eustis is still the live bassist for NIN at the moment. Pino recorded several songs on the new album 'Hesitation Marks' so perhaps it's a guest spot for a few songs, and Josh will move to guitar or synths?

I know Eustis is officially the current bassist, but seeing them in London last month they are still very much an aggro band, admittedly it was different to their festival shows, though.
Trents comment with the video says "and then there were eight" ..just leads me to belive that we have a new/expanded nin to match the next new tour production. I know Trent is one for teasing and constantly changing everything NIN so I was curious to see what people think Pino would add to the live NIN experience.

I would also assume it's a chop and change jobbie between instruments as usual, so maybe he is on for just a few songs.
He'd be great on the mellow stuff but can't quite imagine him rocking out to some of the more gnarly stuff, maybe that's just me though.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1380190851' post='2222009']
Having seen NIN at the O2 some years ago with Justin Meldal-Johnsen on bass, I am staggered at the notion of Pino Palladino playing industrial metal ...
[/quote]
I was at that gig too, this is what I mean, it's going to be interesting! Great bass players but very different!

[quote name='olliedf89' timestamp='1380190792' post='2222006'] , but seeing them in London last month they are still very much an aggro band, admittedly it was different to their festival shows, though. [/quote]

I've not been to see them live since The Fragile tour.
But the newer performances I've seen on youtube seem a lot less aggressive than the early days.

The first time I saw them in Goldwyns in Birmingham I felt lucky to get out unharmed. :)

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1380193655' post='2222066'] I've not been to see them live since The Fragile tour. But the newer performances I've seen on youtube seem a lot less aggressive than the early days. The first time I saw them in Goldwyns in Birmingham I felt lucky to get out unharmed. :) [/quote]

Fair point, my NIN perspective probably isn't as broad as everyone else's!!
I was just lucky not to be squashed to death in what felt like a sauna. Not quite the same hah!

[quote name='olliedf89' timestamp='1380194628' post='2222084']
Fair point, my NIN perspective probably isn't as broad as everyone else's!!
I was just lucky not to be squashed to death in what felt like a sauna. Not quite the same hah!
[/quote]

Sounds like a proper NIN gig! :D

The first one I went to my mate got his ear practically ripped off.
The last one I went to I came away with 2 cracked ribs and one broken one...

We collectively survived a few inbetween those too.

EDIT: The level of aggression that Trent whipped up at the first gig was unbeliveable. No fights actually broke out but it was just brutal!

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1380194972' post='2222091']
Sounds like a proper NIN gig! :D

The first one I went to my mate got his ear practically ripped off.
The last one I went to I came away with 2 cracked ribs and one broken one...

We collectively survived a few inbetween those too.

EDIT: The level of aggression that Trent whipped up at the first gig was unbeliveable. No fights actually broke out but it was just brutal!
[/quote]

Sounds damn intense to me, then again I'm more of a 'spectator' rather than a participator now, I like my teeth too much to lose them regularly haha!
Can't imagine Pino does either, maybe it has calmed down a bit!

[quote name='olliedf89' timestamp='1380195570' post='2222105']
Sounds damn intense to me, then again I'm more of a 'spectator' rather than a participator now, I like my teeth too much to lose them regularly haha!
Can't imagine Pino does either, maybe it has calmed down a bit!
[/quote]

The onstage antics have definitely calmed down.

When did Trent last smash his guitar or mic stand into a keyboard as it's still being played?

Pino would be fine, he could stand near the back or sides of the stage to make a quick exit... :lol:

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1380196717' post='2222140']
The onstage antics have definitely calmed down.

When did Trent last smash his guitar or mic stand into a keyboard as it's still being played?

Pino would be fine, he could stand near the back or sides of the stage to make a quick exit... :lol:
[/quote]

He still does it, just less often, Reading 2007 was crazy onstage but I think in large part that was thanks to Aaron North who was a bit... Unhinged haha. Brilliant but chaotic.

Yeah, a bit of his trademark headbob and a quick run off when a Mic stand heads his way. Hell Trent even had backup singers on that clip, which is a bit... Odd..

Edited by olliedf89

[quote name='olliedf89' timestamp='1380197402' post='2222153']
He still does it, just less often, Reading 2007 was crazy onstage but I think in large part that was thanks to Aaron North who was a bit... Unhinged haha. Brilliant but chaotic.

Yeah, a bit of his trademark headbob and a quick run off when a Mic stand heads his way. Hell Trent even had backup singers on that clip, which is a bit... Odd..
[/quote]

Aaron was indeed crazy on stage, just watch the Beside You In Time DVD. He even makes Jeordie White a bit nervous at times, and given his onstage history with Marilyn Manson, that's quite an achievement. Very sad about what's happened to Aaron in recent years.

I noticed the backing singers too, sounded very strange - look forward to seeing it in full though!

Edited by TomWIC

[quote name='TomWIC' timestamp='1380213368' post='2222430']
Aaron was indeed crazy on stage, just watch the Beside You In Time DVD. He even makes Jeordie White a bit nervous at times, and given his onstage history with Marilyn Manson, that's quite an achievement. Very sad about what's happened to Aaron in recent years.

I noticed the backing singers too, sounded very strange - look forward to seeing it in full though!
[/quote]

Ooh, I haven't heard much about Aaron, he's one of my favourite ever guitar players just for NIN alone, always admired his ability to produce such chaos while remaining totally on spot and in control.. What's happened to him lately? I usually read up about these things, but alas... I'm lazy.

Yup, going to be different that's for sure!

[quote name='olliedf89' timestamp='1380213624' post='2222436']
Ooh, I haven't heard much about Aaron, he's one of my favourite ever guitar players just for NIN alone, always admired his ability to produce such chaos while remaining totally on spot and in control.. What's happened to him lately? I usually read up about these things, but alas... I'm lazy.

Yup, going to be different that's for sure!
[/quote]

He's suffered from mental problems over the past few years, mental breakdown, diagnosed with bi-polar, major depressive disorder and other illnesses. Has completely quit music, has all of his gear in a storage locker and admitted in a recent interview he has completely forgotten how to play guitar.

[quote name='TomWIC' timestamp='1380214085' post='2222445']
He's suffered from mental problems over the past few years, mental breakdown, diagnosed with bi-polar, major depressive disorder and other illnesses. Has completely quit music, has all of his gear in a storage locker and admitted in a recent interview he has completely forgotten how to play guitar.
[/quote]

Oh dear god. I guessed that something was different seeing how crazy he went on stage, really looked like he was exorcising some demons, but that's sad man.

Poor guy, hopefully he manages to come back and channel it into music or something, get himself back up!

[quote name='olliedf89' timestamp='1380215605' post='2222469']
Oh dear god. I guessed that something was different seeing how crazy he went on stage, really looked like he was exorcising some demons, but that's sad man.

Poor guy, hopefully he manages to come back and channel it into music or something, get himself back up!
[/quote]

Indeed, he apparently never abused drugs or alcohol but the health issues were obvious to the rest of the band through the extensive touring, which ultimately led Trent to not ask him back after the Year Zero tours.

Fantastic guitarist, such a massive, precise sound, and a huge stage presence, I really hope he pulls through and gets back into music again too.

What happened to Charlie Clouser? Loved that guy! And I see on twitter that Trent has Robin Finck back in the band. Should be interesting to have such an old influence back in the fold.

It's interesting how Trent Reznor and Marilyn Manson always seem to recruit musicians that barely seem to be able to function in day to day life but are capable of incredible artistry and musical foresight. Really very clever musicians!

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1380221341' post='2222576']
What happened to Charlie Clouser? Loved that guy! And I see on twitter that Trent has Robin Finck back in the band. Should be interesting to have such an old influence back in the fold.

It's interesting how Trent Reznor and Marilyn Manson always seem to recruit musicians that barely seem to be able to function in day to day life but are capable of incredible artistry and musical foresight. Really very clever musicians!

Truckstop
[/quote]

Not sure if Trent and Charlie are still on good terms or not. Robin however has been playing with the band since 2008 (and was invited to play back in 2005 as well but he was touring with Guns 'N' Roses at the time).

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1380230832' post='2222712']
Embarrassingly I know little about NIN beyond that my old guitarist was a fanatic about them. Anyone want to point me in the direction of the right place to star with Mr. Reznor? Pino's bass playing in that clip sums up everything I love about bass.
[/quote]

But of course, sir. My favourite thing NIN has ever done is the Still EP. Also known as And All That Could Have Been Disc 2.

Basically, if u want electronic pop stuff go Pretty Hate Machine. Aggression and industrial go to Broken and Downward Spiral.
All out genius, ambient and aggressive The Fragile, With Teeth is more rocky and live orientated with Mr Dave grohl on drums. Probably my favourite.

Year Zero is crazy heavy electronic synthy industrial. Absolutely nuts but not the strongest, same with The Slip and Ghosts for me. Hesitation Marks is the new one and is mostly electronic beats and synth orientated but still has some outstanding moments.

I would start with The Downward Spiral and The Fragile followed by With Teeth.

Haha hope that helps!