Why become a member? ×

Shuker Jazz IV - Fatstacks, LEDS...

Mike

Thanks for the input, guys.

Well, 5 or 6 days since I emailed, I've heard nothing. I rang the workshop today and got no answer. I rang Jon's Mobile and got no answer, left a message.

I know everyone's said how great his customer service is. I just wish I could see some of it. I appreciate he has a lot on, but I find it frustrating that I pay him sight unseen £1000 deposit, and it takes over a month for him to confirm it's received, and I haven't heard anything since (by the way, it was only me phoning that that got the receipt confirmation).

I'm sure I'll be happy with the bass. I'm just not too happy right now. Not the best experience for my first ever custom.

Cheers

Mike

Sorry to hear that Mike, I've found Jon a pleasure to deal with, but then I go and see him in person. Actually he was supposed to email me something after we met a week ago which I'd almost forgotten about.

I think luthiers vary, I've so far had 148 emails from Alan at ACG about my 2 basses from him, and the second is only half done!

Strange, I'm in the North and have an ACG built in Scotland, 7string lives in Scotland and has a Sei built in the South East, and you're in the South East and have a Shuker built in Sheffield. It's either perfect or crazy, I'm not sure which.

I've got so many emails from Alan because I tend to ask quetions when I see he has logged on to BW/T/C so I get an instant response.

It may be worth noteing that from a previous converation with Jon he said his Mrs was a nurse or at least worked a shift system so he tended to work odd days to fit with her. Also because he does in finishing in house he may have to use a batch of laquer before it goes off so answering the phones can be tricky.

Edited by Alpha-Dave

[quote name='Mike' post='13103' date='Jun 6 2007, 04:12 PM']Thanks for the input, guys.
Well, 5 or 6 days since I emailed, I've heard nothing. I rang the workshop today and got no answer. I rang Jon's Mobile and got no answer, left a message.
I know everyone's said how great his customer service is. I just wish I could see some of it. I appreciate he has a lot on, but I find it frustrating that I pay him sight unseen £1000 deposit, and it takes over a month for him to confirm it's received, and I haven't heard anything since (by the way, it was only me phoning that that got the receipt confirmation).

I'm sure I'll be happy with the bass. I'm just not too happy right now. Not the best experience for my first ever custom.
Cheers
Mike[/quote]

I know how you feel mike, was in a similar situation with mine. i never once spoke to Jon on the phone. everything was done via email sometimes it was a few weeks before he replied to my emails, but generally within a couple of days. But what i will say is that its worth it in the end. What Jon needs is an apprentice or someone to deal with the admin stuff.

[quote name='Mike' post='13103' date='Jun 6 2007, 04:12 PM']...Well, 5 or 6 days since I emailed, I've heard nothing. I rang the workshop today and got no answer. I rang Jon's Mobile and got no answer, left a message.
I know everyone's said how great his customer service is. I just wish I could see some of it....[/quote]
Heh .. I know how you feel. Jon's a great guy to talk to, and always really helpful, but I'd never say his customer service was perfect. It's more a case of "excellent when it happens". I think his focus is either 100% on building the latest master piece or 100% on his family (more so at the moment than normal) and never the two shall meet.

[quote name='Bassmonster' post='13218' date='Jun 6 2007, 06:49 PM']....What Jon needs is an apprentice or someone to deal with the admin stuff....[/quote]
That is so true. He definately needs an admin gohper to take pics, handle e-mails, and maybe do first-pass quotes or something.

Internet access at his workshop probably wouldn't go amiss either. From talking to him I get the impression that he goes through his emails when he feels like it rather than religiously every night ... but that might just be due to his current circumstances; or perhaps a false impression I've gained from our conversations.

[quote name='EntropicLqd' post='13243' date='Jun 6 2007, 07:31 PM']Heh .. I know how you feel. Jon's a great guy to talk to, and always really helpful, but I'd never say his customer service was perfect. It's more a case of "excellent when it happens". I think his focus is either 100% on building the latest master piece or 100% on his family (more so at the moment than normal) and never the two shall meet.
That is so true. He definately needs an admin gohper to take pics, handle e-mails, and maybe do first-pass quotes or something.

Internet access at his workshop probably wouldn't go amiss either. From talking to him I get the impression that he goes through his emails when he feels like it rather than religiously every night ... but that might just be due to his current circumstances; or perhaps a false impression I've gained from our conversations.[/quote]

Hmmm, well As you have pointed out, Jon is a 'one man band' at the moment and doesnt have anyone to do all the admin/website/photos/tea making responsibilities. It really isn't a case of 'when he feels like it'. The guy is always in the workshop, creating his machines of beauty. Last year his missus actually had to drag him off on holiday, to take a break. Very true!

If he had internet access at the workshop, it probably wouldnt be much use, as he is on the 'go' from the minute he walks in to the evening when he leaves. probably not a lot of time to answer emails as well. That probably why I get most of my replies after 10pm, as its the only quiet time he gets!

I think, rather like me, Jon comes across as very laid back. Most would believe that I actually am sleep walking! He isn't.. just has 13 builds to contend with..I'll be adding another soon!

I think if Jon had an admin type, it would help admin stuff along no end.. blimey.. If I lived closer, I'd do it!! Infact, I would go as far as saying if anyone wants to know anything about Shuker and I can help then drop me a line.

John has done some work on a couple of basses of mine over the last year. I'm currently planning my own dream bass with him, and have been trying to give him money for it for about 3 months LOL!
I'll be doing my own thread when the build starts, but can't wait to see your pix.

Good to hear that you've got some news Mike - I understand how frustrating it is waiting for info (as can anyone whos been having a build done!). I dealt with it by kind of forgetting about it, and I popped up to Sheffield to try out the neck to make shure it was what I was after (I chose a bit of a mishmas of dimentions from the Shuker Jazz you tried around mine, and a Spector Euro 5 that I really liked) - So the neck was a bit of a (Slightly guided) shot in the dark.

Probably helped that I had shedloads of other things going on at the time so bass thoughts were properlly shoved to the back of my little mind! :-)

Ooooh, I swapped out the neck EMG DC for a EMG P5 pickup recently, b*gger me the bass is monstrously punchy with that in! Need to balance it a bit but reckon it's a ery good thing!

Hope all's well and we should sort a meet up at some point soon!

All the best,

Rich

Sounds good Rich. I thought it was already pretty monsterous!

Here are some pics taken several weeks ago that John has sent me.

I have since emailed for up-to-date info but have heard nothing.

Hope I get something soon!

Regards

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

As others have noted - it a bit bizarre having your bass built at the other end of the country. Thats one of the reasons I decided to get my GB locally. Did not know about Mr Shuker then but I did consider Sei, Zoot and Status. Unfortunately Bernie can hardly manage to turn on the computer let alone send hundreds of emails.

[quote name='Bassmonster' post='29922' date='Jul 10 2007, 07:02 PM']ah good news dude!, has jon given you any indication of how far along your bass is?[/quote]

Well when the pups arrive he'll do the routing. I'm not 100% sure how far along he is.