Why become a member? ×

Modifying a perfectly good bass

Si600

I've got a serious amount of GAS for a 5 string P-Bass with a PJ configuration. I know they exist but they seem to be quite rare and not available new.
Would it be wrong to get a normal one and have a competent fellow fit the jazz pickup?

Not that I'm in a position to buy a P-Bass at the moment regardless of what sort it is, but you can't help thinking of these things can you?!

No problem at all. I did exactly the same thing to my mike dirnt signature. To my knowledge I've not seen a slab bodies p/j with tele headstock before, so it is quite unique. At te end of the day, if you can't find what you want made by someone else, then make it yourself.
As far as depreciation goes, I can't see it being a problem, I can't imagine that you are the first person who has wanted this done, therefore it should still hold its value as long as you can wait.
Now GO DO IT and show us the pics 😈

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1379614134' post='2214903']
I've got a serious amount of GAS for a 5 string P-Bass with a PJ configuration. I know they exist but they seem to be quite rare and not available new.
Would it be wrong to get a normal one and have a competent fellow fit the jazz pickup?

Not that I'm in a position to buy a P-Bass at the moment regardless of what sort it is, but you can't help thinking of these things can you?!
[/quote]

Look for a Sandberg VT5.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1379614466' post='2214912']
Can`t see anything wrong with that, only possible downside is more depreciation in value due to it not being stock if you decide to sell it on.
[/quote]
Interesting point. Apart from the body conversion, if the build is simply adding branded pups, bridge etc, to an average bass. Would this increase the value?

Or when it comes to sell is it better to strip the bass back to standard and sell the parts separately?

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1379615133' post='2214923']
Look for a Sandberg VT5.
[/quote]

The weird thing is, I've already got an Aria Magna PJ 5 string, so I'm not exactly in need of one. But it's not a real P-Bass! Funny the things we want!

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1379615408' post='2214926']
Interesting point. Apart from the body conversion, if the build is simply adding branded pups, bridge etc, to an average bass. Would this increase the value?

Or when it comes to sell is it better to strip the bass back to standard and sell the parts separately?
[/quote]

You couldn't put it back, not with an extra pickup routing in it. Well, you could, but it would cost far too much I suspect.

Historically adding a J pickup (and replacing the bridge) were the standard Pbass mods.

I've got 2 PJ basses sitting at home and I find I prefer the P pickup on its own and leave the J's switched off. So I'm not a fan of adding a J pickup to a Pbass.

I'd look at upgrading the pickups if you have to do anything to a Pbass. There are some fantastic passive bass pickups out there, like Lindy Fralin, SD's, Bill Lawrence and Curtis Novak.

I have modded a lot of basses in my time.

If you're not going to sell it, do as you wish.

If there's the slightest chance of selling it, your mods may not add value if the next buyer does not want another pickup.

I have modded basses with different pickups, piezos, bridges, preamps, tuners, the lot. In my general experience, mods add little to value though many are aesthetically pleasing and fun.

As an aside, most basses sound the way they are going to sound and modding it to change that is generally expensive and awkward.

I'd probably find a Fender PJ bass that fits your needs and buy it. It's probably easier than paying a pro to mod your current bass and if it turns out you don't like the PJ setup (and I have never found it that useful) you can sell on easily.

Tend to agree with chris_b on this, but as it happens I rather like P/J basses for the [i]option[/i] to do something different sonically, even if I don't often take advantage of that option.

Before buying a P-bass and modifying it, surely it has to make more sense (and will be cheaper) to buy one that someone else has already modded?

I see that funkle is thinking along the same lines.

I've not done quite the same but i originally had a MIM Fender P bass, i swap the pickup, added chrome plate etc and swapped out the neck for a glossy maple jazz neck. I like the bass alot and i use it more then anything. I thinking about adding a musicman pickup near the bridge.

The good thing about this is I'm not too worry if the bass break etc since the bass becomes parts bass, i can just swap out parts when things break lol.