Why become a member? ×

Just been looking at my Dad's old Bass Guitars.

garuf

Was looking around in the loft today and decided to pull out my Dad's old Bass guitars I have sort of inherited. I just wondered if anyone could give me a little bit of info on them as googling hasn't really been much help.

Two of them are Aria Pro II Magna series (one is a 4 string and the other is a 5 string)
One is an Aria Pro II ZZB Deluxe bass.
And the final one is a Washburn B-20-8.

Edited by garuf

They're all Japanese built, 80s, high quality instruments! The Washburn especially I think, seems to have di marzio pickups in it. A fine armoury to inherit sir! They won't fetch a huge amount if you sell them, but they will serve you well if you keep them.

Welcome to Basschat! ;)

Nice basses as has been said above, the Washburn is probably quite unusual. I had one of those Aria 5 strings years ago, I've a feeling the string spacing is quite tight. Most 5 stringers are wider.

Good luck if you decide to take up playing.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1379172511' post='2209474']
They're all Japanese built, 80s, high quality instruments! The Washburn especially I think, seems to have di marzio pickups in it. A fine armoury to inherit sir! They won't fetch a huge amount if you sell them, but they will serve you well if you keep them.
[/quote]

The Magna series pro II's are actually Korean built. Not quite as well built and definitely not as desirable as the earlier Japanese-built Arias.
Having said that, many of the Korean ProII's are still cracking basses.

Would we be right in assuming that your Dad was into metal back in the day ? These are very decent basses that might benefit from a bit of t.l.c from a local guitar tech if you want to start playing them yourself after all these years in storage . These are well worth investing in to restore them to former glories .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1379182357' post='2209623']
Would we be right in assuming that your Dad was into metal back in the day ? These are very decent basses that might benefit from a bit of t.l.c from a local guitar tech if you want to start playing them yourself after all these years in storage . These are well worth investing in to restore them to former glories .
[/quote]

Yeah you would be right in assuming that. If I am honest I am probably just going to try and sell them, maybe keep the ZZb as it has the most sentimental value.

[quote name='Qlank' timestamp='1379195021' post='2209805']
A mate has the ZZb, a cracking bass. The Washburn 8-string was something I lusted after for years, managed to play one at a guitar show and had massive neck. Went with the massive sound alright though.
[/quote]

My mum seems to think the Washburn is really rare and should bring a decent price, any idea if she is right?

[quote name='garuf' timestamp='1379196383' post='2209824']
Yeah you would be right in assuming that. If I am honest I am probably just going to try and sell them, maybe keep the ZZb as it has the most sentimental value.

[/quote]

In that case , the Basschat For Sale section is probably as good a place as any to sell them . There will be a few ageing rockers out there somewhere who would love to relive their youth with one of these . Good luck with the sale .

[quote name='garuf' timestamp='1379169277' post='2209430']
Was looking around in the loft today and decided to pull out my Dad's old Bass guitars I have sort of inherited. I just wondered if anyone could give me a little bit of info on them as googling hasn't really been much help.

Two of them are Aria Pro II Magna series (one is a 4 string and the other is a 5 string)
One is an Aria Pro II ZZB Deluxe bass.
And the final one is a Washburn B-20-8.

Got a pic of the 5 string ? Think it might be similar to one of mine.
Anyway, nice basses. I'd say hold on to at least the 4 String Magna and the 8 string.
Cheers

[/quote]

Hi mate.
I had one of the Washburn eight strings a few years ago. I put it on commission in Andy's on Denmark street. I think he shifted it for about £550.
He sent me three duff cheques and by the time I got chance to go to see him he had gone out of business. I was gutted to say the least.
Hope that helps!
Dave

I once drove all the way from Bolton to Edinburgh to look at a rather derelict Washburn 8-string on the advice of a mate. Not in the market for one now, but it's a nice bass that you have there.

I have a similar Aria ZZB deluxe in my collection and would say that would certainly be a keeper for you.
All I had to do with mine was raise the pickups slightly and be careful not to bang it on things!
An excellent bass. I really would hang on to it.