Why become a member? ×

Ever been unexpectedly blown away?

Bigwan

I can only think of this happening to me once before (by the Scarbee Celinder) but today was totally out of the blue.

While visiting a chap to trade a hard case for his compressor pedal, he let me play a p bass he put together himself (He'd mentioned it in our communications and that he liked working on guitars). It was without a doubt the finest p bass I've ever played, and I've had some nice basses through my hands. Being this guys personal labour of love, I know it'll never be mine and it's already driving me a bit mad!

This ever happen to any of you?

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1378912668' post='2206420']
I can only think of this happening to me once before (by the Scarbee Celinder) but today was totally out of the blue.

While visiting a chap to trade a hard case for his compressor pedal, he let me play a p bass he put together himself (He'd mentioned it in our communications and that he liked working on guitars). It was without a doubt the finest p bass I've ever played, and I've had some nice basses through my hands. Being this guys personal labour of love, I know it'll never be mine and it's already driving me a bit mad!

This ever happen to any of you?
[/quote]

P basses are simple machines, it's sometimes a few small tweaks than make a bass great. Why not get him to take a look at one of yours and see if he can add some magic to it?

Yep, picked up a Shine p bass copy from a local cash generator type place.. Got it home, gave it a thorough set up and new strings, and by god it sounds amazing through my ashdown rig. Plays better than a lot of Squiers, and a few MIM Fenders I've owned (completely IMO of course, not starting that old nugget again!)
Consequently sold a couple of other basses, and now its my only one! Not bad for the grand total of £40!!! (£25 for the bass, £15 for the strings!)

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1378916889' post='2206499']

P basses are simple machines, it's sometimes a few small tweaks than make a bass great. Why not get him to take a look at one of yours and see if he can add some magic to it?
[/quote]
True - just a simple setup or different string gauge can totally alter the feel

Far too often. Usually by people playing my basses through my kit. Why do they sound so much better? On a more seriously disappointing note, my 1980s Fender strat, a thing of beauty, maple neck, ash body to die for. Compared with my Yamaha Pacifica £60 knockabout which I have at work. I set both up, you can guess which is the best guitar, and by a fair country mile.

Edited by 3below

I recently sold some gear, in order to buy a new EBMM Stingray, I'd seen.
Then, last minute I spotted a pre-owned model, going for half price. It was stunning and sold itself to me, in less than a minute.

But what really blew me away, was that with plenty of cash left, I looked around at other basses and picked up a Warwick Thumb BO4. For some reason I'd dismissed Warwicks, for years. Thought they were ugly.
I loved it playing at the dealers but when I got it home and put it through my own gear, I was really blown away by it's sound and especially the playability. What a neck. I'm even starting to love the looks.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1378912971' post='2206424']
I continue to be impressed every day when I play one of the P basses I put together.

Don't think I can claim that it's down to any particular skill on my behalf but more, just good components all going together in a pleasing fashion. :)
[/quote]
Yup, my FrankenFender has turned out this way. Amazing.

Unfortunately, quite a few times for me. My first Rick, that I bought new in 1973. The Warwick Corvette that I bought off Jigster has the best neck I ever played (it's now grafted on to a better body). Also, when I replaced the pickup in my Mex Precision with a US the difference was amazing!!