Why become a member? ×

Amp + Cab advice

action_panzer

Right, I'm giving in to my GAS and I think I'm going to get a OTB 500. I just love its distortion. Question is, which cab do I pair it with? As shallow as it sounds, I can't stand how the SP210 cab looks, and I've also heard it isn't that great anyway, so any ideas?

Failing that scenario (as it is a bit pricey) I was also thinking of Hartke LH500 and HyDrive 112...chalk and cheese I know, but the Hartke sound would probably suit my band (grungey metal) better...plus, with the money saved over the Orange setup, I could buy a Darkglass b3k....right?!

Third option is a TC BH500 but I haven't played ANY of the gear, nor do I have the opportunity because nobody local has any stock and I can't make the next Bass Bash because of work.

So 3 very different scenarios, mostly driven by the fact that I can't demo most of these before buying so I'm just gonna have to take the plunge and rely on distance selling regs for a 7 day moneyback....

Thoughts on perhaps the most unfocused post in a while?!

Thanks,

Kev

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1378724855' post='2203637']
Barefaced Compact is a popular choice.
[/quote]

It certainly is. The Barefaced Super Twelve is rock-tastic, too. And very light.
[url="http://barefacedbass.com/index.php?page=super-twelve"]http://barefacedbass.com/index.php?page=super-twelve[/url]

Yes, for me in a metal band I`d be looking at a 212, or 2 112s.

Re amps, well the Orange Terror is great, but not the most versatile of amps. A great sound, but whereas with many amps you have a degree of flexibility, whatever you do with it, it sounds like the OTB, more than the bass if that makes any sense - a real identity to it.

TC are incredibly versatile however, and the Tubetone and Spectracomp are great features - with these you can go from super-clean 80s slap sounds to all out Lemmy-filth, especially as you can put these in as presets. The on-board tuner makes life easier, less pedals etc. If I were doing session work, as much as I love my Markbass gear, I`d probably have a TC rig for this due to how flexible it is.

The TC does look great, but I've heard concerns about how far you can push it - that really its a 200w amp with clever circuitry that momentarily boosts output (I don't really know what I'm talking about here...!)...I guess what I'm saying is I'm concerned about headroom and clarity at higher volumes with the bh.

Annoyingly Hartke don't do a 2x10/12 neo cab, and the only other 2x10 they do will only handle 200w. Otherwise its the HyDrive 410 which bumps the price up considerably, and I am sort of trying to downsize a bit from my bulky Ampeg BA115 HP, which barely fits in my car.

I hear what you're saying with the Orange, and it is for that reason that it is my heart's choice, but not my head's...

The Barefaced sounds good, but will it have that aluminium-cone snappiness of a Hartke cab? It also pushes my budget right to the limit!

That TC amp was one that I looked at before I settled on my current rig. I liked the features - Tubetone, tuner, compressor, presets - but while it sounded great at lowish volumes, I felt that it ran out of steam and got a bit 'flubby' at war volumes. Could have been the TC BC cabs though...

I went for one of your other choices in the end - the LH500. It's EQ, while very simple (3 knobs) can be a bit odd at first, but once you've figured it out it's very loud, with a lovely fat punchy sound and loads of clean headroom. despite the valve preamp, I've never managed to get even a tiniest hint of grit/grind/distortion. With quality cab/s you can crank the volume all you like - it stays clean & fat, and just gets louder & louder until the police arrive!

Currently using it with a Barefaced Compact, and I'm REALLY happy. You're welcome to try it if you're anywhere near me.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1378734452' post='2203862']
There's plenty folk on here with TC rigs that are very happy with the volume. Watts do not = volume.
[/quote]

Agree, I had a Classic 450 which is meant to be one of these "pushed up watts" amps. Never got the master volume on more than 4 when gigging with a punk band (Pistols, Clash, Ramones etc).

Hello,

Like you, I had my heart set on a bass terror and 112 then another 112 later on.

In the end I just bought a genz Benz streamliner from bass direct for 499. It sounds just as sweet as the orange and is much more versatile to boot.

Right now I am considering cabs. One to start then add another later when money is saved.

Maybe 112's but maybe 210's too, depending what sounds best and ends up giving me volume for small gigs in a rock band.