Why become a member? ×

Classic amp suggestions

Shambo

Over the last decade, a number of used musical instruments and bits of pro audio kit have passed through my hands. I've always used the analogy of buying used basses being like buying used cars. If you buy a new one, the moment you take ownership of it, it depreciates in value, and some makes hold their value better than others.

To avoid this, I’ve always employed the old trick of buying used classic gear that has retained most of its value, or kept depreciation to a minimum whilst I’ve been enjoying it. On the odd lucky occasion I’ve made a small profit and when it does, I congratulate myself on my good taste and business acumen... doesn’t happen often. Sometimes it means spending more than I originally intended, or waiting patiently for the 'gear available' and 'cash in pocket' stars to align, but you can do it safe in the knowledge that if it turns out to be the wrong thing for you, you can move it on for the price you paid for it. For example, you can bank on the value of a newish second hand american standard Precision not fluctuating too wildly over the space of a few years, as opposed to the falling value of the new custom instrument you had made to your perfect specifications.

With this in mind, could the good citizens of Basschat furnish me with their suggestions and rough guide prices for a new ‘classic amplifier’ to replace my outgoing Little Mark II? Good solid second hand bass amps to power my 2x 300W@8ohms Purple Chili cabs. I'm asking because my knowledge of the amp market is sorely lacking and I don't know what to buy next.

Solid state, valve, hybrid, Class D or own gravitational field... it's not important. Warm or cold/gritty or clean sounding isn’t a specific desire either. Nor is the price within reason (up to £1000’ish), but it doesn’t need to be expensive, I might be just as happy with a Peavey as I would a Matamp. I’d like to be able to try something out and if it doesn’t suit, move it on for what I paid for it.

Edited by Shambo

It's hard for me to imagine any modern solid state amp achieving genuine "classic" status, but that's probably more down to my lack of imagination than anything else.

I'd be inclined to take the line of least resistance and go with vintage valve amps (plus a really good valve techie on Speed Dial).

I'm thinking Matamp and Orange, yes, but also WEM and Selmer and Simms-Watt and ...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1378377319' post='2199271']
Hiwatt DR201 + lifting hoist and truss. You might need to double up on cabs, though... :mellow:
[/quote]I felt a shiver of lumbago just looking at a picture of one. What a beast.
[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1378378456' post='2199300']
It's hard for me to imagine any modern solid state amp achieving genuine "classic" status, but that's probably more down to my lack of imagination than anything else.

I'd be inclined to take the line of least resistance and go with vintage valve amps (plus a really good valve techie on Speed Dial).

I'm thinking Matamp and Orange, yes, but also WEM and Selmer and Simms-Watt and ...
[/quote]I agree, but which models should I be looking at?
[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1378378772' post='2199305']
Fender bassman?

Or, as a bottom feeder and a favourite of mine, Peavey Mark III or IV 400 series
[/quote]I've looked at Fender amps before but would need advice on which models are well regarded.
A used Peavey would tick alot of boxes I imagine, does the job asked of it and being hard to kill must help it retain its value.

Thank you for the suggestions so far.

[quote name='Shambo' timestamp='1378383245' post='2199415']
I felt a shiver of lumbago just looking at a picture of one. What a beast.
I agree, but which models should I be looking at?
[/quote]

70's Orange: OR120, GRO100, maybe even a OR80

They were designed as guitar amps but are [b]highly [/b]rated as bass amps. I was after one for a while but a Matamp GT200 came up first. Still on my wishlist.

Should be able to get an OR120 or OR80 for under 1k, but will be more for a GRO100.

[quote name='Shambo' timestamp='1378383245' post='2199415']
I agree, but which models should I be looking at?

[/quote]

Inevitably it depends on what you're going to use it for.

An Orange AD200 or a Matamp GR120 (like mine) will cope with any size of venue small enough to not have full PA support, and will go quite a bit larger than that too. I'm still waiting for that call from the Hammersmith Odeon ...

A Selmer Treble & Bass 50 (TnB50) will blast the back wall out of most pubs if that's what you want.

For small pubs & intimate venues, a 70s WEM Dominator (make sure you get the '25' with the 15" speaker) will show you just how good a 15W open-backed valve combo can sound, and you can always mic it up of course.

All the amps I've mentioned will also be coveted by your guitarist(s) to the point where hand-to-hand combat skills may be required.

Marshall super bass is another one to look at, although I believe early ones are stupid expensive. Mark II seems to be the one most people go for. It also fits nicely into the "fight your guitarist for it" category.

My limited experience with fender bassmans (or bassmen?) indicates that the 100 silverface head from the mid 70s is a good one to go for in terms of cost and real world usability, possibly better than the later 135 ultralinear models. Please correct me if i'm wrong...

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1378566670' post='2201924']
Why would you want to replace a perfectly good LMII - I'd suggest another LMII or maybe a 450.
[/quote]The LMII has served me very well and I'd highly recommend it... but I want to sow my wild amp oats.