Why become a member? ×

Oh well..here goes!

Zampa

Hello everyone..Im Steve and im an alcoholic :unsure:

Ooops, wrong forum!....

Start again...Hello I am Steve, 52..pushing 53...I have been 'playing' the bass for about a year after customising an old Kay bass guitar.

I have had an ordinary 'lead' electric guitar for years, but I could never master it, I have fat fingers...I never fancied being a 'glory boy' anyway..

I recently bought an Ibanez GS300 after one of my students told me I would 'feel' the difference with something better and a little newer..he was right, Im really enjoying myself now..

I have probaby left it far to late to be much kop...but I really enjoy figuring tunes etc out..its a cracking feeling finding 'that missing note

Anyway..thats me..

For now...

[quote name='Zampa' timestamp='1377470871' post='2188009']
I have probaby left it far to late to be much kop...but I really enjoy figuring tunes etc out..its a cracking feeling finding 'that missing note
[/quote]
You ain't too old. I didn't start playing Bass until I hit 56. Now playing in 3 bands, loving it and like you I am a guitarist that saw the error of his ways. Even manage to hold my own in a Jazz/Fusion band so just go for it. As the saying goes "Don't count the days, make every day count".

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1377630672' post='2189716']
Oh, where in Wales are you?

Welcome by the way.

I was once a Welsh ambassador in Sarf Larndon but they let me go home for good behaviour :P
[/quote]

Just the other side of Swansea, towards Carmarthen space chick...a wild and lonely place..

Oh and Im actually from 'sahf London' meself....Pwopa Del Boy country...Peckham

Hiya, Steve.

I'm a recent Ibanez convert myself, having recently discovered the wonder of the Ibanez SR300 with it's razor thin neck and body. You may have fat fingers but I have short ones AND small hands so my super-thin-necked new bass is simply wonderful. All hail Ibanez!

You're never too old to start anything. I read recently of a bloke who took up marathon running at age 72 so by that reckoning, you're still a sprogg. Besides, I'm not all that many years behind you so you're not allowed to argue with me. ;)

Playing bass is excellent, especially if - like me - you've always been torn between rhythm and melody. This wonderful instrument combines both to perfection. And it's just plain fun.

:crigon_04:

Cheers again all...

Well, I have been 'playing' for about a year now and the novelty hasnt worn off yet...as long as I make some progress Im happy..

Im sure I can learn a lot here..

Cat...you are dead right about that neck..as I was pulling it from the box I knew this was the one for me, it made a massive difference to my innability... :)