Why become a member? ×

Fender to finally make the Starcaster bass and reissue the Coronado?

neepheid

Seeing these new basses has made me really long for another semi hollow.
stopped in at PMT in oxford on Monday to have a quick look round but they didn't have one.
They did however have a Hagstrom Viking, gave that a try instead. Only made things worse !
Now I know I have to get a semi hollow.

The Viking was superb and I was so tempted but im guna have to try one of theses first.

Boom! Was in Wunjo today, and tried out a candy red Coronado. And let me tell you I was very well impressed.

Here's my review as it falls out my brain..

It's very solid for a semi. You can see the big block of alder thru the f holes. It has a real weight to it. I thought the finish superb for a bass in this price range. Nice deep gloss. There is a carved piece of wood between the trapeze that anchors the strings (well, it looks like wood, but might be other) and it's a nice touch. Nice binding, nice everything.. Apart from the knobs, they were a bit plastic-y. Which is funny, because I guess all knobs are plastic (well, if they're not metal), but these felt a bit soft, or maybe cheap.

When you strap it on it does not feel like a short-scale. I think with the weight and 4 inline head it's almost like a grown up bass. Again a nice slim neck, very easily playable. I was up and down the neck no bother. Looked good, felt good.

The tone from the pups was quite deep and easy, I thought it sounded good with the neck on its own, the bridge had that constriction that bridge pups have, but not too bad. In the end I just had everything up full and it sounded fine and dandy. It's got a right thump with low, mid and treble. And no hollow boxiness, probably down to the alder block.

I've often been on the look out for a short-scale for playabilty, and I like the semi look. The Coronado delivers this with a feel of a full scale, a grown up sound and none of the flimsy boxiness of other semi's I've played.

So that's that. I've got my order in for a Vintage Cherry Sunburst. :)[size=4] [/size]

All it needs is a set of flats and decent knobs.

Aint life grand!

I went out on a bit of a road trip today. dropped off two basses I had sold then went on to a couple of shops to try out these new basses. Andertons and Navada. first stop was Andertons they had a cherry burst starcaster on display so I sat down and gave it a try. The finish was exemplary and it felt very comfortable to play. It sounded great into the small Ampeg amp in the bass room, but the cherry burst isn't my thing and I wanted to try a Coronado before making any kind of decision so I hung it back on the wall n took a drive down to Navada music.
I soon found there Coronado n picked it up for a go. Again the finish was exceptional. I was surprised at just how big the body of this bass is, I'm used to my mustang! The neck felt slimmer than that of The Starcaster and despite the large body I found my hand landed in just the rite place to play, again it felt really good in the hand, I didn't actually plug it in and try the pickups though as at this point I was approached by a member of there team. A few minuets passed chatting and he went off to grab there starcaster so I could try them together. The Starcaster he had in his hand on his return was the natural maple, I didn't liked this finish at all in the pictures I had seen on the net. But let me tell you, it was one of the best looking bass guitars I have ever seen. Just stunning is all I can say. This time I plugged into an Ashdown rig and started with the starcaster. well I never got round to plugging the Coronado in, half hour later I was still totally enchanted and really feeling this bass. I didn't however part with any cash as I want to try one into my own rig before making a final decision, not doing so is a mistake I have made before.
Sat at home now, having a think. Bin plonking away on my Mustang, I love my Mustang. If I get the Starcaster is it just going to sit there, probably !
Dam Gas.

I've just tried a Starcaster in Newcastle.

Super super impressed. Perfect QC, very pretty binding. Heavier than they look, but I mean that as in it weighs like a normal sized light P bass. Substantial feel.

Very jazz-growl like with both pups, the bridge pup bites and snarls, the neck pup goes from clear warm tones to very very fat bassy tones.

The neck is great, access to fretboard is great, it LOOKS great.

The only thing they should do is upgrade the tuners...but other than that...super cool bass.

This was the cherry burst.

Now I want one.

Edited by Musicman20

• 3 weeks later...

anyone who won't play a starcaster because they're old fashioned is forgetting that starcasters were a VERY highly rated guitar in the 70s when they were made.

I've played two original authentic starcaster guitars - both were, by a slim margin, the nicest playing and most expressive and responsive semi-hollowbody guitars I've ever played.

And I've played a LOT of semi hollows in my life so far.

Personally I think starcaster guitars are far sexier than anything Gibson ever released, and with a nicer neck and more aggressive tone.

Amusingly enough, both of the guitars I played, one of which I nearly bought (intended to but it was gone when I went back to the store the next day) ended up owned by the same guitarist in a band I ended up joining a few years later, completely by coincidence. amazing fluky situation....

so I've always had my heart on a bass version, and now they exist!

Great to read the positive reviews.