Why become a member? ×

Vivid Amps, new bass and guitar amp company in the US

TomRichards

Hello everyone!

I wanted to get your opinions on my newest amp, the Vivid Amps VTouch 2180 amp from a new company here in the US, Vivid Amps.

This amp is derived from a patented amp they build under their motorcycle audio company Biketronics. I played it extensively at Summer NAMM and I was blown away with how clean and pure the signal and sound was. It translated the tone knobs on my passive bass AND really passed my Hartke VXL preamp sound in an amazingly great way.

I am someone who has set his amps flat his whole career (35 years) and EQ's with my bass or a pedal preamp, so this was perfect for me.

It can be bridged with a set of bridging cables, which Vivid is manufacturing for me and sending me as well.

So, I get 180W at 4 Ohm out of two channels, or 400W bridged into 4 or 8 Ohm. For me, plenty of power for all gigs.

This thing really is tiny, you can fit it in the pocket of a gig bag.

I would love your thoughts.

Tom

Shockwave, I have made my associations very clear In all my posts here. And many of the bass players in the UK know who I am, since I have been playing for over 35 years and toured quite a bit in the 80s and 90s. Never my intent to deceive. In this case I am curious what people think. It is an interesting amp, but the lack of on board EQ seems to bother many bass players. I am also interested in the discussion surrounding its power output.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1375334638' post='2159835']
To me the lack of EQ, or a visible gain stage makes it a power amp, simple as that.
[/quote]

You might just have hit the nail on it's head. So it could make it a good amp for those wanting to use their own preamp. I like my EQ section, so I'll stick with my Markbass.

This is for Shockwave and anyone else who may be interested.

Please note that I am in fact now endorsed by Vivid Amps, but was not when I first posted. That endorsement was finalized actually yesterday. I posted in the introductions all may affiliations and credentials for future use by the people here.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/213603-so-that-everyone-here-is-clear-on-me-my-credentials-and-endorsements/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/213603-so-that-everyone-here-is-clear-on-me-my-credentials-and-endorsements/[/url]

if they are the inputs on the front (two jack one headphone jack) it's not as small as you would think. It's only 1 lb lighter than my amp - so not that lightweight... and how many times have you had those micro type buttons fail on you in other applications? It might sound nice but looks like an ugly underpowered little box to me.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1375426402' post='2160976']
if they are the inputs on the front (two jack one headphone jack) it's not as small as you would think. It's only 1 lb lighter than my amp - so not that lightweight... and how many times have you had those micro type buttons fail on you in other applications? It might sound nice but looks like an ugly underpowered little box to me.
[/quote]

Those are not micro buttons, but touch sensitive spots on the top. And the 1/8 inch jack is an input, for your iPod or MP3 player or any other source you want to run through it that uses an 1/8" input. I have a special guitar cable that is 1/4" to 1/8 that splits the mono signal to both channels, so it's kinda cool for me.

Yes, this amp is definitely not everyones cup of tea. But I think it merits a look, as most power amps are really built for only line level inputs and do not have pre-amps optimized for instrument input directly. And, I think the button layout and functionality is different and cool.

I once had a Tech21 Bass Power Engine bass cab that I paired with a SANSAMP preamp and it was killer! They were the only ones in my memory to actually design a pre-amp - powered cab (ne power amp) match for working together specifically. I sold that rig several years ago to fund a vintage bass purchase, but in hindsight probably should not have.

I love raw sound. I want my metal necks to sound like metal necks, my Brubakers to sound like my Brubakers, my Backlunds and Retronix to sound like....

This is really a great concept. I need to post some video/audio. It is really a cool amp. I used the cables they provided me to bridge the amp 400W into 8ohms yesterday, and it was louder then my Hartke LH500 and cleaner, crisper.

As Charlie Sheen would say, "Winning!"

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1375453894' post='2161652']
Yes, this amp is definitely not everyones cup of tea. But I think it merits a look,[/quote]

In your opinion, as someone with a commercial interest in promoting this brand?

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1375456068' post='2161699']
If you are promoting gear, then shouldn't this be posted in Affiliates?
[/quote]

I'm not a "commercial user" nor do I get any monetary compensation from Vivid. There are a lot of posters here who have endorsements, which usually means just free or discounted gear in exchange for us using the gear on stage and making sure that we only use their items in public. I'm pretty sure that if John Paul Jones posted here about a Manson bass no one here would even blink. (Granted, he is more famous then me.)

My post was just asking for your opinions. Nothing more. I know that there are varying opinions on many bass amps products, and I truly am curious to see others opinions when it comes to small, lightweight amps. Does it introduce the people here to the amp? Yes. Did I ever say buy it, or that its the greatest amp ever? No. I actually said that it isn't everyone's cup of tea. Meaning, I know that many would prefer an amp with preamp and adjustable EQ. Just, like I said, interested. And my endorsements have always been clearly in my signature line. However, as you see, I posted clearly my affiltations on the introductions page.

Anyone here is free to make their own decisions and opinions while keeping my affiliations in mind. And again, there is a huge difference between being an endorser of a product and having a commercial interest.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1375455206' post='2161678']
In your opinion, as someone with a commercial interest in promoting this brand?
[/quote]

No. My opinion as someone with 35 years of professional bass playing behind me who uses mostly Hartke amps and cabs and has been looking for a small, lightweight amp of this caliber for years.

Hey, we all know that Hartke heads are NOT small, compact and lightweight. My LH500, my current workhorse, And it weighs 25 lbs in its Gator soft rack case with cables. While not the heaviest, it sure is a lot to lug. Add to that the either 30 lb HyDrive 112 or the 70 lb HyDrive 4X10 and, well, that is a lot to lug. And, a lot of amps do NOT sound good paired with my Hartke cabs, at least to me, so I am selective for sure.

Also, I have a Cerwin Vega Dan Armstrong Hot Cab, 210G, with an open back, that I have never found a good amp to drive it with. [url="http://www.danarmstrong.org/hotcabs3.html"]http://www.danarmstrong.org/hotcabs3.html[/url] This one, so far, actually works very well with it, and produces great sound. And this cab weighs only 21 lbs.

I hope this clears it up for you.

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1375453894' post='2161652']
Those are not micro buttons, but touch sensitive spots on the top. And the 1/8 inch jack is an input, for your iPod or MP3 player or any other source you want to run through it that uses an 1/8" input. I have a special guitar cable that is 1/4" to 1/8 that splits the mono signal to both channels, so it's kinda cool for me.

Yes, this amp is definitely not everyones cup of tea. But I think it merits a look, as most power amps are really built for only line level inputs and do not have pre-amps optimized for instrument input directly. And, I think the button layout and functionality is different and cool.

I once had a Tech21 Bass Power Engine bass cab that I paired with a SANSAMP preamp and it was killer! They were the only ones in my memory to actually design a pre-amp - powered cab (ne power amp) match for working together specifically. I sold that rig several years ago to fund a vintage bass purchase, but in hindsight probably should not have.

I love raw sound. I want my metal necks to sound like metal necks, my Brubakers to sound like my Brubakers, my Backlunds and Retronix to sound like....

This is really a great concept. I need to post some video/audio. It is really a cool amp. I used the cables they provided me to bridge the amp 400W into 8ohms yesterday, and it was louder then my Hartke LH500 and cleaner, crisper.

As Charlie Sheen would say, "Winning!"
[/quote] touch sensitive spots/micro buttons - whatever you call them, I would question (perhaps unfoundedly) their long term durability. My comment bout the jack sizes was more their size relative to the whole box.... ie it's not actually that small - if it were the size of a fag packet then it would be interesting - as it is it looks quite sizeable. Don't get me wrong - it's an good idea for a fella sticking theiese in motorbikes to look to see how they would work with bass or guitar but I don't think it's a great design in terms of functionality and I have no idea in terms of audio engeneering how they have designed it - but based on the website there's little information. I'm guessing it's a class D amp modual of some kind, with some built in power optimisation to get the most out of it...

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1375460669' post='2161796']
touch sensitive spots/micro buttons - whatever you call them, I would question (perhaps unfoundedly) their long term durability. My comment bout the jack sizes was more their size relative to the whole box.... ie it's not actually that small - if it were the size of a fag packet then it would be interesting - as it is it looks quite sizeable. Don't get me wrong - it's an good idea for a fella sticking theiese in motorbikes to look to see how they would work with bass or guitar but I don't think it's a great design in terms of functionality and I have no idea in terms of audio engeneering how they have designed it - but based on the website there's little information. I'm guessing it's a class D amp modual of some kind, with some built in power optimisation to get the most out of it...
[/quote]

You are basically correct, and one of the things I'm working with them on is getting some technical specs on the website and providing some more useful information. The discussions here and on other forums are helping them to see what they need to publish, given that they are not primarily in the guitar or bass business.

I am too curious at how the button areas will fair and function over the long term, but I think since they are not actual moving parts they should do well over time. It would be hard to do much damage.

They could probably make this amp 1/3 its size if they just used one input and one output, just me looking at it. That would be tiny. But then, you run into other problems, like its ability to stay put on top of a cab, or not be easily pulled by the cable. Sometimes you can only go so small given you need other ability, like to have enough surface and foot room to actually have it stay put.

Either way, thanks for your input. I will pay careful attention to the buttons and if anything pops up, I'll post it.

I'll put some video up this weekend.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1375460669' post='2161796']
with some built in power optimisation to get the most out of it...
[/quote]

According to the spec posted on another forum, the amp goes down to 4hz or something, so pretty far from optimised, what with 4 octaves of wasted power below audible. High passing is pretty key to amps working well.

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1375459267' post='2161767']
No. My opinion as someone with 35 years of professional bass playing behind me who uses mostly Hartke amps and cabs and has been looking for a small, lightweight amp of this caliber for years.

Hey, we all know that Hartke heads are NOT small, compact and lightweight. My LH500, my current workhorse, And it weighs 25 lbs in its Gator soft rack case with cables. While not the heaviest, it sure is a lot to lug. Add to that the either 30 lb HyDrive 112 or the 70 lb HyDrive 4X10 and, well, that is a lot to lug. And, a lot of amps do NOT sound good paired with my Hartke cabs, at least to me, so I am selective for sure.

Also, I have a Cerwin Vega Dan Armstrong Hot Cab, 210G, with an open back, that I have never found a good amp to drive it with. [url="http://www.danarmstrong.org/hotcabs3.html"]http://www.danarmstr...g/hotcabs3.html[/url] This one, so far, actually works very well with it, and produces great sound. And this cab weighs only 21 lbs.

I hope this clears it up for you.
[/quote]
Your endorsement undermines the credibility of everything you say on the brand you are endorsing. Whether you play other equipment or not and how long you've been playing for is meaningless.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1375462321' post='2161851']

According to the spec posted on another forum, the amp goes down to 4hz or something, so pretty far from optimised, what with 4 octaves of wasted power below audible. High passing is pretty key to amps working well.
[/quote] ouch! Like why - now I have no idea at all but would guess if this is car/bike stereo technology (hence the twin input and output) that it would be optimised to roll of most the bass - I mean if you're on a bike I can't imagine you get many low end woofers.... My guess its a typo and roll off at 40 Hz (or around) with the focus on the mids giving a nice hifi clean tone with little low end - a bit like a low fi version of the hi fi monitor I started a thread about last month.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1375471503' post='2162024']
Your endorsement undermines the credibility of everything you say on the brand you are endorsing. Whether you play other equipment or not and how long you've been playing for is meaningless.
[/quote]

Interesting and its your opinion. What you say also would mean that a "noob" you would give as much cred to as say Jess Oliver himself.

So, then, absolutely no professional player with an endorsement can comment on anything they use with any credibility? Guess Victor Wooten's opinion on Fodera, or Billy Sheehan's opinions on Hartke, or any of the Warwick bass team carry any cred whatsoever?

And my professional service and time and experience have NOTHING to do with my opinion? Rubbish.

So, if I say that Markbass, Aguilar or Epifani suck, does my opinion count then? After all, I don't endorse them whatever. Oh wait, I'm sure you will say its because I endorse someone else's product that I'm saying that. (For the record, those companies and Carvin all make some really great, small package 500W amps that are fantastic.)

The other interesting thing is that I, like most other bass players who endorse a product (with the exception of Nikki Sixx) do not play nor endorse any product which we haven't used or tested and really like. Putting my name behind a product is putting my reputation with it. I have turned down endorsements with several major amp and bass companies because I have a little integrity.

I'm not sure what I've said here that would need "credibility" anyway. I asked for YOUR opinions. I didn't say it was the best, the greatest, blows away every amp on the market, is better then all the name brands and can slice bread and clean cars by itself. I asked your opinion of an amp I now am using and yes endorse. Who knows, maybe an insight here may lead to a better product, or inspire a new model that everyone may be interested in.

I like it, and its my preference.

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1375475640' post='2162110']
Interesting and its your opinion. [size=4][/quote][/size]
No, it's my advice. I know how forums work and I'm doing you a favour.

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1375475640' post='2162110']
What you say also would mean that a "noob" you would give as much cred to as say Jess Oliver himself.

So, then, absolutely no professional player with an endorsement can comment on anything they use with any credibility? Guess Victor Wooten's opinion on Fodera, or Billy Sheehan's opinions on Hartke, or any of the Warwick bass team carry any cred whatsoever?

And my professional service and time and experience have NOTHING to do with my opinion? Rubbish.

So, if I say that Markbass, Aguilar or Epifani suck, does my opinion count then? After all, I don't endorse them whatever. Oh wait, I'm sure you will say its because I endorse someone else's product that I'm saying that. (For the record, those companies and Carvin all make some really great, small package 500W amps that are fantastic.)

The other interesting thing is that I, like most other bass players who endorse a product (with the exception of Nikki Sixx) do not play nor endorse any product which we haven't used or tested and really like. Putting my name behind a product is putting my reputation with it. I have turned down endorsements with several major amp and bass companies because I have a little integrity.

I'm not sure what I've said here that would need "credibility" anyway. I asked for YOUR opinions. I didn't say it was the best, the greatest, blows away every amp on the market, is better then all the name brands and can slice bread and clean cars by itself. I asked your opinion of an amp I now am using and yes endorse. Who knows, maybe an insight here may lead to a better product, or inspire a new model that everyone may be interested in.

I like it, and its my preference.
[/quote]
Indeed. But you're saying that after I've made you aware of the context it might be interpreted in. But, as you suggest, it's your choice.

This is all offered without me pulling the hard line and making you aware that this is MY forum and you are a guest here. In that broader context, you could also be seen to be exploiting the good will I am extending you by allowing this thread to continue. But I have chosen not to see things in that way while I see you still still have an opportunity to become more aware. I'm nice like that sometimes.