Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sadowsky jj V Fender CS custom classic jazz

leroydiamond

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Took my recently purchased [/font][/color][color=#FF0000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][b]fender[/b][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] CS custom [/font][/color][color=#FF0000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][b]classic[/b][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] and my [/font][/color][color=#FF0000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][b]Sadowsky NYC[/b][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] JJ which I have been using regularly for the last 3 years out on a gig last night. There is nothing to choose between the build and finish of both bases--the highest quality!. The fretwork on both is fantastic, really tight neck pockets also. Both have maple boards. [/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Took the custom [/font][/color][color=#FF0000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][b]classic[/b][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] out first. Very comfortable to play, with the action set insanely low and not a hint of fret buzz. The 9.5 inch radius is quite different from the[/font][/color][color=#FF0000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][b]sadowsky[/b][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] but I felt really at home with it. The Eq on the bass was set flat for the most part and this produced a really nice slap sound, with the mids dipped on my Markbass f500. However when I favoured the bridge pickup, I felt the sound lacked bite and was lost in the mix, though favouring the neck pickup produced solid lows though a little muddy.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I then pulled out the [/font][/color][color=#FF0000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][b]sadowsky[/b][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] and immediately dialled in the sweet spot as I know the instrument very well and it immediately sang to me. Real bite in the tone, just honky. I love this bass. However after the gig to my surprise the guys in the band just loved what they heard from the custom [/font][/color][color=#FF0000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][b]classic[/b][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] and preferred it over the [/font][/color][color=#FF0000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][b]sadowsky[/b][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]![/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Obviously I know the [/font][/color][color=#FF0000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][b]sadowsky[/b][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] very well so my plan is to stick with the custom [/font][/color][color=#FF0000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][b]classic[/b][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] for several gigs in order to become more familiar with the preamp and dial in my desired sound. Its a beautiful instrument for sure. Just very interesting that me and the guys disagreed regarding the tone, as this is a first.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Pictures below (the fender is Trans black)[/font][/color]

Edited by leroydiamond

Can we have some pics of both please.

It's always interesting what your band mates say. I do tend to take what they say lightly as I figure most of them were focusing on their own stuff/parts while I was wrestling with my new gear.

[quote name='PTB' timestamp='1375026873' post='2155907']
Can we have some pics of both please.

It's always interesting what your band mates say. I do tend to take what they say lightly as I figure most of them were focusing on their own stuff/parts while I was wrestling with my new gear.
[/quote]

Some pictures added (i am not the best with a camera :unsure: ). We tend to keep a good ear out for our overall sound, particularly on our Saturday night residency where we operate without PA support, and when a new instrument is introduced there has always been general agreement on its performance. ( I disregard any comments from the drummer, as since he has got his double bass drum pedal he can't be bothered listening to the sound of his own kit :D !). I asked the guys to pay particular attention to the bass, and they favoured the Fender, but for me it was the Sadowsky

Edited by leroydiamond

[quote name='PTB' timestamp='1375036194' post='2156021']
Both basses look great & it sounds like a good band you're in. Enjoy the test drives!
[/quote]

Its a covers band which requires a versatile bass. Whatever about it being good or indifferent, I really enjoy playing with the guys (We have been at it for a a good many years). I had some GAS a few weeks back and treated myself to the Custom Classic, Used but in great shape

Edited by leroydiamond

Can you get the Fender tone out of the Sadowsky?

How strong was the band's preference for the Fender?

I've had this and when asked more questions the band can't really say why they like one piece of gear over the other.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1375023792' post='2155865']
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Took my recently purchased [/font][/color][color=#FF0000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][b]fender[/b][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] CS custom [/font][/color][color=#FF0000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][b]classic[/b][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] and my [/font][/color][color=#FF0000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][b]Sadowsky NYC[/b][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] JJ which I have been using regularly for the last 3 years out on a gig last night. There is nothing to choose between the build and finish of both bases--the highest quality!. The fretwork on both is fantastic, really tight neck pockets also. Both have maple boards. [/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Took the custom [/font][/color][color=#FF0000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][b]classic[/b][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] out first. Very comfortable to play, with the action set insanely low and not a hint of fret buzz. The 9.5 inch radius is quite different from the[/font][/color][color=#FF0000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][b]sadowsky[/b][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] but I felt really at home with it. The Eq on the bass was set flat for the most part and this produced a really nice slap sound, with the mids dipped on my Markbass f500. However when I favoured the bridge pickup, I felt the sound lacked bite and was lost in the mix, though favouring the neck pickup produced solid lows though a little muddy.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I then pulled out the [/font][/color][color=#FF0000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][b]sadowsky[/b][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] and immediately dialled in the sweet spot as I know the instrument very well and it immediately sang to me. Real bite in the tone, just honky. I love this bass. However after the gig to my surprise the guys in the band just loved what they heard from the custom [/font][/color][color=#FF0000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][b]classic[/b][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] and preferred it over the [/font][/color][color=#FF0000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][b]sadowsky[/b][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]![/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Obviously I know the [/font][/color][color=#FF0000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][b]sadowsky[/b][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] very well so my plan is to stick with the custom [/font][/color][color=#FF0000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][b]classic[/b][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] for several gigs in order to become more familiar with the preamp and dial in my desired sound. Its a beautiful instrument for sure. Just very interesting that me and the guys disagreed regarding the tone, as this is a first.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Pictures below (the fender is Trans black)[/font][/color]
[/quote]

That's a very nice pair you've got there , and trust me when I tell you that I know a nice pair when I see them .

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1375038217' post='2156051']
Can you get the Fender tone out of the Sadowsky?

How strong was the band's preference for the Fender?

I've had this and when asked more questions the band can't really say why they like one piece of gear over the other.
[/quote]

My intention is not to mimic the Sadowsky tone with the Fender. They sound very different, but with regular use in a gig situation, I hope to find the 'sweet spot' on the Fender. The bands preference for the Fender was considerable, why I am not sure. Lets face it, as they are not bass players, what would they know :) .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1375039234' post='2156070']
That's a very nice pair you've got there , and trust me when I tell you that I know a nice pair when I see them .
[/quote]

Yes my man ( your avatar indicates your expertise in this area). Unfortunately these are the only pair I have to hand at the moment , but hope springs eternal in the human breast

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1375046821' post='2156202']
Probably the fender sounds more like.... well like almost every bass they've heard on records.....
[/quote]

Could be. The Sadowsky sounds like nothing else I have played, even in passive mode. The Fender sounds very different from a typical passive fender jazz bass. More modern tone but It did not reveal its mojo to me. (I have only used it for one gig so I will persevere)

I have persevered with the classic Jazz and after several gigs I have got to grips with the onboard EQ and could not be happier. Setting bass and treble flat, together with cutting/boosting the mid in concert with pickup balance seems to be the way to go with this baby. Really loving it and for now it has relegated the Sadowsky to storage. My only gripe is that although its not a heavy bass (less than 9 pounds, the Sadowsky is just over 7 pounds), some of the shows I play are 3 hours long, so the shoulder is kicking up. Gruv Gear Duostrap on the way, as I love this bass. Hope all you bass buddys have a great Sunday

I don't think other players tune into A bass sound as such.... and even though some bass player friends say they like my sound...
they have quite a conservative sound themselves, so whilst it is nice to get a compliment, I don't think they really know too much
away from the norm..

I think the keys and gtr in my band get pretty good sounds off their kit but I am not tuned in to the little nuances as they are...
and vice-versa.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1375619041' post='2163470']
I don't think other players tune into A bass sound as such.... and even though some bass player friends say they like my sound...
they have quite a conservative sound themselves, so whilst it is nice to get a compliment, I don't think they really know too much
away from the norm..

I think the keys and gtr in my band get pretty good sounds off their kit but I am not tuned in to the little nuances as they are...
and vice-versa.
[/quote]

Yea I agree, though i like to get feedback form the other guys. They are very experienced musicians and we pretty much always reach a consensus when somebody brings in some new kit. That's why I was interested in the difference of opinion re. the Sadowsky v CS classic jazz. Of course the last word on bass gear will be with the bass player, but it seems that after several gigs with the classic jazz that their initial opinion re its superiority over the Sadowsky has some merit.

Interesting comparison :)

I've heard previously someone who personally loved the sound he was hearing onstage from his Sadowsky but his sound man said his vintage Fender sounded much nicer out front.

In that particular case it was possibly that the Sad was brighter and cutting through more on stage but maybe too bright and 'modern' when taken as part of the overall band mix.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1375636589' post='2163733']

I've heard previously someone who personally loved the sound he was hearing onstage from his Sadowsky but his sound man said his vintage Fender sounded much nicer out front.

In that particular case it was possibly that the Sad was brighter and cutting through more on stage but maybe too bright and 'modern' when taken as part of the overall band mix.
[/quote]
Or it could be that the engineer is used to mixing bands with Fender basses and found that he had to think about what he was doing with the bass for a change, which of course would have meant that he wouldn’t have had sufficient time to concentrate his efforts on getting [b]the[/b] perfect kick drum sound…!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1375636589' post='2163733']

[/quote]

Gigged the Sadowsky last night and it really is a case of ' six of one, half dozen of the other' regarding the Sadowsky v Custom Classic IMO. Different basses that function well but in different ways. I have a pre CBS jazz and it is by far and away the most outstanding bass I have ever had in my hands (even the guys in the band agree)

I can virtually garauntee if I trusted my preferred sound with most of my muso mates...they would not even know where
it came from..
They just don't listen to what I listen to....
I can think of only one guy around here who would get/use that sound. That is not to say that everyone else has a bad sound..not at all,
but they go with pretty straight sounds.. and I want something different and spikey...

A band endorsement is nice.... but before you put too much store in it, know what they think a good sound is.

Firstly in terms of instrument preference, for me the playability and feel is personal thing and these criteria are essential. A guitar that has a good tone but is a pig to play isn't viable. In my situation the guys i play with are quite experienced as musicians and one as a studio engineer so I will always be interested in their opinions, as they are in mine.So I guess when I invite comment from them regarding my tone, invariably it it will impact on my perceptions, but not to a degree where it would over ride my own personal choice.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1375709078' post='2164534']
Firstly in terms of instrument preference, for me the playability and feel is personal thing and these criteria are essential. A guitar that has a good tone but is a pig to play isn't viable. In my situation the guys i play with are quite experienced as musicians and one as a studio engineer so I will always be interested in their opinions, as they are in mine.So I guess when I invite comment from them regarding my tone, invariably it it will impact on my perceptions, but not to a degree where it would over ride my own personal choice.
[/quote]
This makes a lot of sense!