Why become a member? ×

Constructing Bass guitars and working with wood, How to get started?

JamesFlashG

I am very interested in the building processes of bass guitars and would love to try and get involved in it, how ever I have 0 experience or knowledge of the process and have no experience working with wood. One day I would love to be able to build my own basses and customize my gear :D

So how does complete newbie get started off in this field? I understand it will takes years of experience before anything of note will be produced but everybody has to start somewhere :D

Thanks for your comments in advance
James

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Make-Your-Own-Electric-Guitar/dp/0953104907/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374745994&sr=8-1&keywords=melvyn+hiscox"]This book[/url] by Melvyn Hiscock is what did it for me. It goes into some depth but is rather more about guitars than basses. My projects have not really been able to get off the ground, but that is due to my itinerant lifestyle more than any lack of info.

Basschat's own Builds forum is a good place too.

A great starting point is to build your own bass from parts. There are often bodies, necks and hardware for sale on here - try buying the bits and building something - it will give you an appreciation of what's involved. Then you can progress onto making your own bodies and necks. It all sounds so simple ........ B)

To get started, you might want to start customizing/altering existing basses. You can swap necks, play with different pickups, learn how to set up a bass etc. Making a guitar /bass from scratch that plays well is very difficult and takes a lot of skill and practice. I have been working with wood for a living for the last 25 years and dabble with making guitars. Its very rewarding and I have learnt a hell of a lot about guitar set ups during the builds. Get a tool kit together, buy some timber and start working with it. Its quite good to see if you can copy an existing bass/guitar to start with, rather than trying to design your own. Good luck, don't give up at the first balls up........Jas

I figured tampering with an old bass might be a good idea first - I have an old Ibanez SR 305 that I never use and was looking to sell but maybe could try turn it into some sort of new project. It does have a nice thin neck that plays well for so maybe a new body and some pickups / bridge etc to bring it to life a bit more sounds like a good idea. Is it that simple though? I thought the bridge position on the body is very important and had to match the scale length of the neck? so if i get a new body the bridge position will not be the same as on the previous body will this affect intonation?

[quote name='JamesFlashG' timestamp='1374749941' post='2152699']
I figured tampering with an old bass might be a good idea first - I have an old Ibanez SR 305 that I never use and was looking to sell but maybe could try turn it into some sort of new project. It does have a nice thin neck that plays well for so maybe a new body and some pickups / bridge etc to bring it to life a bit more sounds like a good idea. Is it that simple though? I thought the bridge position on the body is very important and had to match the scale length of the neck? so if i get a new body the bridge position will not be the same as on the previous body will this affect intonation?
[/quote]

This is where the fun starts, you get to move the bridge to fit the scale length. Or if you are lucky it will be close enough to just have to move the saddles.
Or you can rout out the neck pocket to match the old scale length, whatever you like. No rules :)

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1374750660' post='2152710']
This is where the fun starts, you get to move the bridge to fit the scale length. Or if you are lucky it will be close enough to just have to move the saddles.
Or you can rout out the neck pocket to match the old scale length, whatever you like. No rules :)
[/quote]

Ok i see so i will basically need to measure what it currently is 34" scale or what ever it turns out to be and just make sure it matches that, sounds easy enough but i bet there are some difficulties. when you say 'neck pocket' do you mean part of the body that the neck sits in where its bolted to the body?

You could go on a Jon Shuker Course which as well as you getting a Bass to your own design, gives you a really good insight into how everything "fits" together. I did the Shuker course then worked elsewhere as an intern with a Luthier for over 3 years. I would also say even after years of making Basses, many Luthiers are still working on minimum wage ( when you take into account the number of hours go into making a bespoke instrument) so to do it you must love it and not think it's an easy way of making money! There are some Luthier courses at the London Colleges and of course reading the eBay ads of Mark E Phillips should give you a good insight too! There's a lengthy thread in the eBay lounge on him...

I still consider myself an absolute novice- but i'm 9/10ths of the way finishing my first bespoke bass built from scratch to my design.

I had zero woodwork experience and only really a passing knowledge of bass construction when i got started. my advice is just to dive in. there are a few critical dimensions and a lot of it seems to be understanding what you like about a bass you've played and replicating that.

I'm from a design background so i did a CAD drawing of the bass to fine tune the look and make sure scale lengths and nut widths and spacings were spot on- which made things easier. a detailed drawing is probably a good place to begin.

Just got for it! i figure even if there first one sounds crap, i have learnt so much i'm sure the next one will be good!

that reminds me, i must start a thread in 'builds' :)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='JamesFlashG' timestamp='1374754875' post='2152800']
Ok i see so i will basically need to measure what it currently is 34" scale or what ever it turns out to be and just make sure it matches that, sounds easy enough but i bet there are some difficulties. when you say 'neck pocket' do you mean part of the body that the neck sits in where its bolted to the body?
[/quote]

Yes, the neck pocket is the bit that the neck sits in. Measuring is a case of measuring from the nut to the 12th fret. And then ensuring your saddles are sat on the line you draw at the exact same distance from the 12th fret, with the neck securely in the pocket where it will be. You will still need to adjust the saddles for perfect intonation after that. i like to leave them in the middle of the bridge for this very reason.
Sounds easy (first 3 times I did it i had to move the bridge back a bit the next day) it's a learning curve, don't start doing this stuff with an instrument you have any emotional invesment in.
:)

When I started to dabble in woodbutchery, I found this book a great help: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1561581259

As all woodworking centres on the correct use of edged weapons (be they saws chisels, routers, planers or spindle moulders), I found that understanding how the blade works with the wood really opened things up.

Add a couple of basic books on joinery & routing to the library & start playing. Skips can provide a good free source of wood to play around with, as can the offcuts bin at your local timber merchant.

Beware though, GAS is just as prevalent in woodworking as it is in music. :D

Pete.

Do bear in mind that many luthiers use templates,for necks and even for their non-standard body shapes. Takes out a lot of the guesswork, especially with fretting fingerboards, positioning bridges etc.

I reckon I could probably make a body or wings, but a neck/fretboard? No way José! Again, I bet the pros have a template for guiding a router when cutting a channel for a truss rod...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1374760680' post='2152889']
Do bear in mind that many luthiers use templates,for necks and even for their non-standard body shapes. Takes out a lot of the guesswork, especially with fretting fingerboards, positioning bridges etc.

I reckon I could probably make a body or wings, but a neck/fretboard? No way José! Again, I bet the pros have a template for guiding a router when cutting a channel for a truss rod...
[/quote]

So do most of the sensible amateurs, go have a look at tdpri and their telecaster challenges, most of those guys are just hobbyists. But they do amazing work....

[url="http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tdpri-build-challenge-archives/"]http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tdpri-build-challenge-archives/[/url]

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1374760680' post='2152889']

[/quote]

very true. i saw loads of templates and jigs on a recent visit to Overwater. The have one for necks where you just stick the blank in and route the entire shape of the neck and headstock virtually in one go. they have a router about the same size as my living room too with its own power generator. epic!

Stew-mac is your friend, it's worth getting their catalogue even if you never buy from them, and they have a wealth of resources and info [url="http://www.stewmac.com/"]http://www.stewmac.com/[/url].

The bigger issue is do you have any hand skills? Not in woodworking but in any type of making which requires the use of your hands? And no matter how distant. If you're used to using your hands then specific skills are easy to pick up, if you're not then a basic woodworking course might be an idea just to get your hands working and you used to controlling them. Landing a hammer on your fingers (or taking one off with a scroll saw) will have a deleterious effect on your bass playing!

Steve

I have decided to play with an old bass first and see what happens.

So I have taken a neck of an Ibanez bass i don't play - the pick ups and body on it are horrid but the neck is not so bad, quite slim and easy to play feels good but frets are starting to wear down a little in places though, made me consider taking the frets of but i'm not sure about that. I am going to buy a body + pick ups & bridge etc and see what happens, going to look a bit funny with an Ibanez head stock though :P Its a 5 string neck and I like the idea of having a good sounding B string so it could work out really well.... or not haha will have to see.

I have a 6 string bass that has soap bar Bartolini pick ups but there something about the tone i don't like, its hard to explain.

Edited by JamesFlashG