Why become a member? ×

British bass guitars

The Dark Lord

Some British Bass Guitars:

Burns Sonic from the early 60s (heavily modified)
[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/DSC01541-2.jpg[/IMG]

A brace od Overwater Originals
[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/DSC01865.jpg[/IMG]

A trio of Gus G3s
[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/DSC02163.jpg[/IMG]

Sei Flamboyant Offset
[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/SeiFront.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1374237542' post='2146741']
I paid a visit to our very own 6feet7 and couldn't resist a go... I'm still buzzing a little bit. What an astonishing instrument!
[/quote]

I'm not surprised. They are very addictive...

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1374097122' post='2145326']
I'm beginning to feel that I should buy British stuff.

I have an Ashdown head and a Barefaced cab - both of which I am really pleased with. What are my options for actual bass guitars?

I can think of:[list]
[*]Status
[*]Shuker
[*]GB ?
[/list]
I guess there must be more?
[/quote]
Why do you feel that you should be buying British?

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1374245281' post='2146873']
[/quote]

That's a good question. There is an argument that, if there is a national drive to buy everything from your own country, then that doesn't encourage home based manufacturers to be innovative and competitive. There was a drive in the UK in the 1960s, complete with a Bruce Forsyth song .... which, ironically, failed to chart.

You could argue the "I'm Backing Britain" campaign in the 1960s was partly responsible for sustaining our "rust bucket" industrial base - which didn't modernise and disappeared. I think that may have been partly true, but there were many other more significant factors.

I feel, if there is a product from the UK, which is of equivalent quality to one from abroad, then I should at least think about purchasing it.

Ashdown make some good stuff. I love my MiBass (ironically made in China) but it is from a UK company at least. If they buy in the product from abroad, badge it as theirs and export it 'round the globe, then that does our country some good. And it's a cracking bass amp.

I feel in the mood to buy a new bass - so I'm thinking along those lines. It's very difficult to identify many companies who are not "toolshed outfits" though. Good on them for doing it for themselves, but I'm after something made by an established manufacturing company I suppose. Rare in the UK bass market.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1374245281' post='2146873']
[/quote]

You shouldn't buy British just because it's British, but when you realise that with Simon Farmer, Chris May and Martin Petersen (to name just my favourites) this country has some of the best bass guitar makers in the world, isn't that incentive enough?

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1374248311' post='2146900']
That's a good question. There is an argument that, if there is a national drive to buy everything from your own country, then that doesn't encourage home based manufacturers to be innovative and competitive. There was a drive in the UK in the 1960s, complete with a Bruce Forsyth song .... which, ironically, failed to chart.

You could argue the "I'm Backing Britain" campaign in the 1960s was partly responsible for sustaining our "rust bucket" industrial base - which didn't modernise and disappeared. I think that may have been partly true, but there were many other more significant factors.

I feel, if there is a product from the UK, which is of equivalent quality to one from abroad, then I should at least think about purchasing it.

Ashdown make some good stuff. I love my MiBass (ironically made in China) but it is from a UK company at least. If they buy in the product from abroad, badge it as theirs and export it 'round the globe, then that does our country some good. And it's a cracking bass amp.

I feel in the mood to buy a new bass - so I'm thinking along those lines. It's very difficult to identify many companies who are not "toolshed outfits" though. Good on them for doing it for themselves, but I'm after something made by an established manufacturing company I suppose. Rare in the UK bass market.
[/quote]
Thanks, that was a good answer. Absolutely nothing wrong with your rationale in any way. Good luck!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1374253627' post='2146963']
You shouldn't buy British just because it's British, but when you realise that with Simon Farmer, Chris May and Martin Petersen (to name just my favourites) this country has some of the best bass guitar makers in the world, isn't that incentive enough?
[/quote]
Sure thing. I have always personally recognized this...just wondered what the OP's perspective was.

[/quote]

That made me curious as to why you weren't (or didn't sound) keen on the Chinese-made Overwaters.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1374262231' post='2147065']
That made me curious as to why you weren't (or didn't sound) keen on the Chinese-made Overwaters.
[/quote]

Actually. I'm not averse to Chinese-made Overwaters really. This has turned out to be an interesting thread for me in that regard. I think I have to settle on the fact that British company is goog enough.

I've never seen or heard an Overwater before - until I had a peek at some pics after starting this thread.

I shall look further.

[/quote]

What do you mean by this? Are you after a bass made by a company that is more than just a "one man band"? Apart from Overwater and Crimson (who are currently in the process of expanding) I can't think of any others on my list that fit this. However just because all the work is done by a single person doesn't make them any less professional. Plenty of the bass makers that I listed do it as a full time job, and IMO when a single person makes your instrument generally the attention to detail and overall quality of construction and personalisation is that much higher. Remember that when you order a Fender CS Masterbuild that individual attention to detail is what you are paying for over a standard factory produced instrument.

Edited by BigRedX

I was going to mention Hayman basses, first cousin to Shergold, but they aren't new... but a tidy link to a chap on the Shergold discussion forum who goes by the user name of Grubersagerhaben. He makes guitars from scratch - makes his pickups, tools the other bits, so no doubts you are buying British here. Largely Shergold replicas, especially double necks, but his workmanship and attention to detail is stunning. I had a play on one of the doublenecks he made and it was top class.

http://www.grubersaberhagen.co.uk

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1374303312' post='2147293']
Actually. I'm not averse to Chinese-made Overwaters really. This has turned out to be an interesting thread for me in that regard. I think I have to settle on the fact that British company is goog enough.

I've never seen or heard an Overwater before - until I had a peek at some pics after starting this thread.

I shall look further.
[/quote]

I have two, and love them. A little heavier than the norm but sound and play superbly. Our very own Walman has some sound samples on Soundcloud of the classic J (the passive one - my main gigging bass now): [url="https://soundcloud.com/aka_walman/sets/overwater-by-tanglewood"]https://soundcloud.com/aka_walman/sets/overwater-by-tanglewood[/url]

I'm drawn to them because they're British but being made in China puts them into my price bracket and not £2000 out of it. I'm hoping this investment helps keep Overwater alive, crafting hand-made basses.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1374304755' post='2147309']
What do you mean by this? Are you after a bass made by a company that is more than just a "one man band"? Apart from Overwater and Crimson (who are currently in the process of expanding) I can't think of any others on my list that fit this. However just because all the work is done by a single person doesn't make them any less professional. Plenty of the bass makers that I listed do it as a full time job, and IMO when a single person makes your instrument generally the attention to detail and overall quality of construction and personalisation is that much higher. Remember that when you order a Fender CS Masterbuild that individual attention to detail is what you are paying for over a standard factory produced instrument.
[/quote]

There is a lingering worry in my mind about delays. I have seen some interesting reports on here from the customers of one-man-band builders who have been delayed by months ...... and some times even [i]years[/i] with poor communication coming back form the builders.

That aside, there have been some interesting things that have come up on this thread.

You may have seen before that I really don't like people making basses based (sometimes wholesale) on other people's designs. There is even the odd person who will go as far as sticking a Fender logo on them. I can't get my head around that.

I really quite like the look of the Gus basses that you champion. I listened to their sound samples on their website - and a the G3 looks a possibility. It may be a little "out there" design-wise, which fits your image in your band well. I mean, how showy can you be standing next to a bloke with only his pants on?

Not 100% sure it would fit with my "did you spill my pint?" persona while playing. A full matt black one might be different though.

There appears to be a conscious decision not to mention prices anywhere. That means a substantial amount of wedge being required I guess?

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1374137831' post='2145613']
The new Gordon Smith Gryphons are great basses, really good pickups.
[/quote]

+1 to that.
Here's what i think of mine: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/210940-gordon-smith-gryphon/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/210940-gordon-smith-gryphon/[/url]

No wait either, there's a gorgeous blue one, at MBL.