Why become a member? ×

July Composition Competition

charic

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1374419429' post='2148493']I am nearly ready to put mine up...[/quote]

Likewise! I'll be uploading mine and Rob's effort tomorrow night... probably quite late (as is tradition).

Very pleased with it so far. It's got some solid guitar playing and a great vocal by Rob. I'm now hoping to do it justice in the final mix. After which I'll finally get round to listening to everyone's entries. Looking forward to that :)

I'm a bit annoyed as having had a really busy month with several weekends away and some busy week day evenings I've not made any progress on my tune - so having finally been able to choose a pic I've not got a finished tune together - I don't really want enter something that's not at its full potential...

On a better note I've put together a video for Skol and I's international rap/d'n'b epic from last month - so will upload that and post elsewhere v soon.

Will listen and vote on this month's entrees in due course - looking forward to hearing them

[quote name='JamesFlashG' timestamp='1374574993' post='2150235']
I am never satisfied with my work / mix its frustrating always feels like i can tweak a bit more or add something else in its hard to know when to stop.
[/quote]

I was like you. Now I just do the quickest possible mix, save it, copy it, then noodle around with the copy. 99% of the time it turns out the quick mix is by far the best. I use this method for tracking as well, just get everything down very quickly and keep the flow going.

I also find it good to just leave mixes alone for a day or so - when you come back to it, it's blindingly obvious what needs to be done - you often miss the wood for the trees when you get involved at the forensic level. Remember that no-one will be listening to it that way! :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1374579559' post='2150347']Now I just do the quickest possible mix... you often miss the wood for the trees when you get involved at the forensic level. Remember that no-one will be listening to it that way! [/quote]

+1 to all that.

I tend to mix as I go along, then once everything is in place I quickly knock together an initial rough mix - which is nearly always 90% of the way there in terms of balancing everything.

The final 10% then involves tweaking little details - rather than making broad strokes. That said it's very easy to get completely obsessed and spend hours/days/weeks (!) with the little details. Generally speaking once any changes I make to the mix cause it to sound worse, not better, I know it's time to stop.

Other than that I stand by the old adage that [i]"mixes are never finished; only abandoned"[/i] :)

Ok heres mine , it is not as I had hoped at all , but it is worth sharing , I had to do the vocal :( , and the daughter lost interest at the singing point , she helped with the ideas though. There are lots of bits I like about it and have learned loads doing it , and as it was all done with this thread in mind it seems daft not to put it in .
I think I will really struggle to get anything in for next month as I am away for 2 and half weeks of it and have some preparation to do beforehand. So, warts and all I give you [url="https://soundcloud.com/lurksalot/shine-on"]my July entry [/url]

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1374606289' post='2150881']
Ok heres mine , it is not as I had hoped at all , but it is worth sharing , I had to do the vocal :( , and the daughter lost interest at the singing point , she helped with the ideas though. There are lots of bits I like about it and have learned loads doing it , and as it was all done with this thread in mind it seems daft not to put it in .
I think I will really struggle to get anything in for next month as I am away for 2 and half weeks of it and have some preparation to do beforehand. So, warts and all I give you [url="https://soundcloud.com/lurksalot/shine-on"]my July entry [/url]
[/quote]
That's fairly mega, it has split my decision so far. Well done mate.

Just finished... phew.

I've been collaborating with Rob (RockfordStone) this month on an alt-rock/nu metal track. Rob's music normally has a really great 'stadium' feel to it, so I wanted to draw on that and aim for something akin to the Deftones in terms of heaviness. Well, sort of.

The idea was to capture the darker side of a big city like New York; the territorial conflicts that take place. Especially in a place like NYC, which has been fought over by different gangs throughout history (yeah, I've seen The Warriors! ;)). Hence the title, 'Empire City'. Have a listen and let us know what you think:

https://soundcloud.com/skollob/empire-city

[i]It's mixed on headphones (as always with me), so feedback on the production itself is gratefully received[/i].

And cheers to everyone who's taken part this month. We've had a good turnout of old hands and new faces, which is great. I'm looking forward to listening through them all!

:drinks:

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1374619530' post='2151113']
Just finished... phew.

I've been collaborating with Rob (RockfordStone) this month on an alt-rock/nu metal track. Rob's music normally has a really great 'stadium' feel to it, so I wanted to draw on that and aim for something akin to the Deftones in terms of heaviness. Well, sort of.

The idea was to capture the darker side of a big city like New York; the territorial conflicts that take place. Especially in a place like NYC, which has been fought over by different gangs throughout history (yeah, I've seen The Warriors! ;)). Hence the title, 'Empire City'. Have a listen and let us know what you think:

[url="https://soundcloud.com/skollob/empire-city"]https://soundcloud.c...lob/empire-city[/url]

[i]It's mixed on headphones (as always with me), so feedback on the production itself is gratefully received[/i].

And cheers to everyone who's taken part this month. We've had a good turnout of old hands and new faces, which is great. I'm looking forward to listening through them all!

[/quote]

Nice, i like It has very 'cool' feel to it the production and mix sounds nice what do you record with?

have just finished mine as well about to upload it :D

Edited by JamesFlashG

This is my attempt then for July first time submitted a piece to this competition hope you enjoy bad feed back just as welcomed as good as I am always looking to improve my writing, mixing skills and playing

[html]https://soundcloud.com/flashg-4/city-lights[/html]

Feel a bit nervous :ph34r:

[quote name='JamesFlashG' timestamp='1374620765' post='2151129']...
[/quote]

Good evening, James...

Now there's false modesty for you..! Nervous..? No need, you're off and running with the best of 'em. Excellent entry, well done. A tad slow to get under way ([i]I'm one to talk; my one never does..![/i] :lol: ). A swimmingly good break beat ([i]or should that be jungle trip-hop; I always confuse them[/i]... :blush: ). The closing chapter has some very interesting syncopation. Bad feedback..? Certainly; it's bound to get far more votes than mine..! :lol: Swine..! Bounder..! Cad..! ([i]There, is that enough 'bad feedback..?[/i]).
Well done, and stop biting your nails. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1374621740' post='2151140']
Good evening, James...

Now there's false modesty for you..! Nervous..? No need, you're off and running with the best of 'em. Excellent entry, well done. A tad slow to get under way ([i]I'm one to talk; my one never does..![/i] :lol: ). A swimmingly good break beat ([i]or should that be jungle trip-hop; I always confuse them[/i]... :blush: ). The closing chapter has some very interesting syncopation. Bad feedback..? Certainly; it's bound to get far more votes than mine..! :lol: Swine..! Bounder..! Cad..! ([i]There, is that enough 'bad feedback..?[/i]).
Well done, and stop biting your nails. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Thanks for your kinds words ^^, negative constructive feed back is good always open to peoples ideas, I wanted to use more live instruments but only got my bass available to record everything else is played is using midi keyboard tried to get it as real sounding as possible using waves plugins, I find they are really good for mixing and mastering.

I dont really know what style it would fall under

Edited by JamesFlashG

Just finished... phew.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/skollob/empire-city"]https://soundcloud.c...lob/empire-city[/url]

[/quote]

Mine is better... :mellow:

:lol:

I think you should take a break and let the dullards (me) win :D

Honestly though, great track! Love that meaty bass sound and the whole vibe of the thing. Without even reading your post, I was immediately thinking of the grungey back-street gangs and the kind of mischief they get up to. It serves it's purpose well! Well done Paul and Rob! :)

[quote name='JamesFlashG' timestamp='1374620765' post='2151129']
This is my attempt then for July first time submitted a piece to this competition hope you enjoy bad feed back just as welcomed as good as I am always looking to improve my writing, mixing skills and playing

[/quote]

This is really good mate! At the start, it sounds very grand, and then when the percussion comes in, you know it's more of a modern kind of grand, and then it comes in properly with the synths and bass drum, and it puts me in the mind of some kind of posh club, where it's not all snobs, but it's not all rave chavs either, if that makes sense? A very New York kind of place. Well done! :)

I'll try to get voting up later.

For now... get cracking on next month slackers!!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/212958-august-composition-competition/page__pid__2151202#entry2151202"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/212958-august-composition-competition/page__pid__2151202#entry2151202[/url]

[quote name='JamesFlashG' timestamp='1374620765' post='2151129']

[/quote]
That's excellent. Well done mate.

Just finished... phew.

https://soundcloud.com/skollob/empire-city

[/quote]
It really works. Well done. It sounds awesome.

I've decided that providing I can get what I have into a slightly more refined state I will enter what I've done so far - it's more at 'demo' stage and will almost certainly be something Paul/Skol and I develop further but seeing as I chose this month's pic I think I should put something up... will post ASAP