Why become a member? ×

Shall I sell my Alembic Mark King standard and if so for how much?

big rob

[size=3][font=Calibri][color=#000000]Hi All,[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3]I am really in two minds over this one. I have had my Alembic Mark King standard from new and purchased it with some inheritance money which I received on my father’s death, I would never have spent that kind of money on a bass normally but I saw it as an opportunity to buy something to remember him by. However as I get older my back is struggling with the weight of the beast and also it’s a bit nerve racking when I take it to gigs as it is perfect and I want it to stay that way.[/size]
[size=3]I now have a Warwick dolphin pro 1 which I use most of the time apart from recording when the Alembic always comes back out. So my question is really if I were to sell it how much should I put it up for? And if I did what should I reinvest in? I would be looking at custom builds and I’m not in to the jazz or fender shapes.[/size]
[size=3]Thanks for your help in advance [/size]

[size=3]Big Rob[/size]

Edited by big rob

Hey Rob. Sounds to me like you would regret selling it - given the circumstances. There are so many sad stories on this forum of people who sold beloved instruments only to bitterly regret it! And in any case, it's very much a buyer's market at the moment.

Keep it, enjoy it, use it for recording and remember your father fondly. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1372071460' post='2121153']
... Just my 2p, of course. :)
[/quote]

Good afternoon, Rob...

Don't listen to Discreet; your bass is worth quite considerably more than 2p.

As for the conundrum of 'Do I, don't I...', You won't be getting another of these any time soon. Unless you're in dire need of the dough (not just 2p..!), hold on to it as long as possible, financially. If the 'market' rises, you'll get a better deal. If the 'market' plunges, you'll obtain only a paltry amount, so not worth the hastle and heart-ache. Keep it, and the memories, is my tuppence worth. ([i]No, you fool, it's worth more than tuppence..! I've already explained that..! Oh dear, you just can't help some folks..![/i] :mellow: )

Stating the obvious, yes, cheaply and to me...

However, on reflection...unless you really need the money (and if this were the case, I'm sure that your father would approve), I'd hang on to the bass. Alembics are not easy to find in the market and this one has special significance. It wouldn't be easy to replace if there's post-sale regret. Use it for recording - there's nothing that sounds like an Alembic (and nothing that sounds better in my opinion). I wouldn't bother gigging it - use your other basses for that. I play Alembics almost exclusively but wouldn't really consider gigging them - too heavy and balance can be an issue. However, for playing at home (sat down) and recording, there's nothing that comes close...again, my opinion but firmly held

Ahh...additional, I've just seen the bass - a standard point body. These really don't balance that well. Same story though, keep it and record with it. Are any of the tracks on the band's site recorded with the Alembic (I'm using cheap buds on my laptop - I'll listen with decent cans later)?

Edited by lozbass

My first reaction is to tell you to keep it...but then again I sold my Alembic and have never regretted it at all. I understand where you are coming from with the emotional link to your father - but remember, if you move it on and purchase another fine instrument the connection remains intact with regard to the new acquisition!

You will take a big hit on the value if you decide to move it on...if you bought it new you will take a BIG hit. Alembic's are undoubtedly of a premium quality....but are also completely over priced imho.

Edited by White Cloud

Hi Rob , I compltely sympathise on the weight issue as I am having back problems myself nowadays , but as others have said already . nothing sounds like an Alembic . I know you probably have a good strap already , but have you tried a [u][i]really[/i][/u] wide padded strap , and by really wide I mean 4 1/2 inches plus ? On heavier basses I find only an exceptionally wide strap makes a worthwhile difference , but if you find the right one it can yield a significant improvement in comfort . It might be worth trying a very wide heavily padded strap as a last throw of the dice , and you would have the strap to use on your Warwick ect if it didn't help with the Alembic .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='big rob' timestamp='1372083072' post='2121327']
Thanks all for the advice, If i did sell i would buy something still in my dads memory. Does anyone know the going rate at the moment for a second hand MK standard?
[/quote]
I would guess around about the £3000 range used in the UK.

Rob, I have a couple of basses that are similarly commemorative. I'm not selling them but then again I made a deal with myself a long time ago that unless I desperately needed the cash, I would not sell a bass that i I liked ever again. Do you need the cash? Are you the sort of person who regularly changes guitars or are you usually in it for the long haul?

If you commissioned that Alembic, chose the woods and options etc etc then I think you may well regret selling it later on. As has been pointed out, it would be expensive to replace in the future should you want it back.

If you really like it still and it's just the weight then I would have to say keep it and use it in the house and for recording. If you are looking for an alternative to the Warwick for gigging, there are many very reasonably priced instruments available these days that after a little fettling can be terrific basses. I suspect that you could easily buy something like that for less than your depreciation loss would be on the Alembic. (Maybe even two!)

The wide strap is a good idea and I believe there is also a strap available that spreads the weight over both shoulders- that might be worth investigating too.

Choose carefully.

All the best.

Ed

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1372071460' post='2121153']
Hey Rob. Sounds to me like you would regret selling it - given the circumstances. There are so many sad stories on this forum of people who sold beloved instruments only to bitterly regret it! And in any case, it's very much a buyer's market at the moment.

Keep it, enjoy it, use it for recording and remember your father fondly. :)
[/quote]

Wise words !!

Hi Rob, I'd not concentrate on the individual instrument as such but rather the sentiment of using the inheritance for your bass playing generally.

If a new bass would help you progress or further yourself, I'm sure your dad would encourage it.

In saying that, just to play devils advocate, if you missed that sound for recording, how would you set about finding another Alembic without spending a mountain of cash?

Alternitvely, sell it to Loz cheap, let him realise he doesn't get on with long scale, and I'll mind it until a later date.

I would be wary of trying to sell an alembic at the moment as there are a few on eBay that have not moved for a considerable time. So you probably won't get a respectable price at the moment if there was any interest. if you don't need the money I'd suggest holding on to it if you can. You could try contacting the uk alembic distributor, uk American guitar centre, for a guide price.

The alembic site is littered with broken hearts who have sold their alembics and regretted it.

Jazzyvee