Why become a member? ×

Thinking of having a total bass cull!

stingrayPete1977

Pete - we have the same yearning for the Musicman signature tone...I've often tried either A) giving up and just keeping what I've got or B ) looking at fairly exotic but 'same old Leo design' Jazz 5ers.

I come back to the Musicman basses....every time.

Yes, a cutom builder can get very close with similar pups/positions/EQ...but, and this is the big but, only a Musicman sounds like a Musicman. Even the Sandberg basses with the H in the right place sound different....cleaner, more modern, less growl and punch.

It's cool to have variety though, I agree, but everytime I hear a Ray, I hear the tone I wanted from when I was 11/12 years old listening to lots of different genre's yet still have that Musicman tone. Incredibly distinctive.

It's quite easy to mimic a 60s/70s Jazz tone...but I've yet to hear anything sound like a Ray. It is, in my opinion, the best bass tone. Closely followed by a P bass, and then the Jazz.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1371987838' post='2120317']
Pete - we have the same yearning for the Musicman signature tone...I've often tried either A) giving up and just keeping what I've got or B ) looking at fairly exotic but 'same old Leo design' Jazz 5ers.

I come back to the Musicman basses....every time.

Yes, a cutom builder can get very close with similar pups/positions/EQ...but, and this is the big but, only a Musicman sounds like a Musicman. Even the Sandberg basses with the H in the right place sound different....cleaner, more modern, less growl and punch.

It's cool to have variety though, I agree, but everytime I hear a Ray, I hear the tone I wanted from when I was 11/12 years old listening to lots of different genre's yet still have that Musicman tone. Incredibly distinctive.

It's quite easy to mimic a 60s/70s Jazz tone...but I've yet to hear anything sound like a Ray. It is, in my opinion, the best bass tone. Closely followed by a P bass, and then the Jazz.
[/quote]
Well you will like my next post then.......

I give you the new addition to the EBMM collection!
Pre EB gone to the top bloke that is Old Horse Murphy as he wanted a Classic4 because of his duff hand and I wanted a Classic5 because of my duff wrist, bit of a meeting in a carpark bit of ooohing and looking at basses some folding cash (rude to tell to who or how much) and there you have it, everyones a winner.....until I want my pre EB back obviously :lol:

[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/20130623_172731_zps46dbb2fd.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/20130623_172731_zps46dbb2fd.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Leaves the wall looking like this
[url="http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/20130623_171159_zpsda369c66.jpg.html"][/url]

The blue SR5 might go if I fall in love with the Classic and I can then be a bit more adventurous, still like the look of them Jabba5 classics or maybe something totally different but 5 string for sure?

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I'm seriously dissappointed , too . I was expecting this one to run for weeks or even months , eventually climaxing with a homemade video documenting the sad farewell to the pre -EB 'Ray with Elton John singing Candle In The Wind in the background . A carpark seems so ...sworded . What you have done today bass trading equivalent to dogging ! :blink:

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1372011778' post='2120650']
I'm seriously dissappointed , too . I was expecting this one to run for weeks or even months , eventually climaxing with a homemade video documenting the sad farewell to the pre -EB 'Ray with Elton John singing Candle In The Wind in the background . A carpark seems so ...sworded . What you have done today bass trading equivalent to dogging ! :blink:
[/quote]

As one of the guilty parties I can honestly say it was a pleasurable experience whatever word you use to describe it ;)

And what's more, no cameras were involved (well certainly none that I'm aware of!)

Love your classic SR5 - nice trade.

PS before you think about selling that SR5 - I took mine out for a gig on Friday night - I honestly forgot how good that bass is - flicking between series parallel and single coil gives a whole range of v usable tone options. Mine also has Marcus miller fat beams which add another dimension!

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1372012156' post='2120659']

As one of the guilty parties I can honestly say it was a pleasurable experience whatever word you use to describe it ;)

And what's more, no cameras were involved (well certainly none that I'm aware of!)
[/quote]
Bass dogging must go on all over the uk every weekend! Looking forward to practice on thursday :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1372004772' post='2120550']
I give you the new addition to the EBMM collection!
Pre EB gone to the top bloke that is Old Horse Murphy as he wanted a Classic4 because of his duff hand and I wanted a Classic5 because of my duff wrist, bit of a meeting in a carpark bit of ooohing and looking at basses some folding cash (rude to tell to who or how much) and there you have it, everyones a winner.....until I want my pre EB back obviously :lol:

[url="http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/20130623_172731_zps46dbb2fd.jpg.html"][/url]

Leaves the wall looking like this
[url="http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/20130623_171159_zpsda369c66.jpg.html"][/url]

The blue SR5 might go if I fall in love with the Classic and I can then be a bit more adventurous, still like the look of them Jabba5 classics or maybe something totally different but 5 string for sure?
[/quote]

Not a fan of sunbursts but... that one looks tasty. I love the tinted maple fingerboard...
I still cannot believe you sold your preEB! What's the world coming to!!!??? :lol: