Why become a member? ×

June/July Mix Competition - THE RESULTS!

Skol303

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1371753983' post='2117816']
My 'target market' is the ever-increasing baby-boom age group, suitably 'acoustically challenged'. They love my mixes.

All the others are dull, lifeless and muddy. So there. :P

Deaf, and proud of it.

[size=5]I said "Deaf, and proud of it"...[/size]

[size=6]No; "Deaf, and..."[/size] Oh sod it... :lol:
[/quote]

Haha! :D ... oh, sorry...

[size=6]HAHA :D[/size]

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1371764595' post='2117992']
Bolt ya cheeky sods! It was clay.

Was actually on an Alesis HD Recorder (as was the guitars & drums).
[/quote]

I hope you didn't pay top dolla for these recordings though. The vocals are particularly scratchy and crackly. The other tracks just have a lot of bleed and hiss. I like when songs are really clean and don't have background or unwanted sounds.

Sorry, no offence intended :) Most of the tracks are fine, but the hiss on the vocals at the end is really tricky to tidy up. Anyone got any tips for noise reduction without changing the tone of the vocals? (Preferably with Logic stock plugins would be great :))

[quote name='moonbass' timestamp='1371765927' post='2118011']
Sorry, no offence intended :) Most of the tracks are fine, but the hiss on the vocals at the end is really tricky to tidy up. Anyone got any tips for noise reduction without changing the tone of the vocals? (Preferably with Logic stock plugins would be great :))
[/quote]

I'm trying to use the denoiser, but I find it's effectiveness hit and miss, but then I don't exactly know what I'm doing :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1371765224' post='2118000']...scratchy and crackly...bleed and hiss...[/quote]

Well, you have ears like a bat. Another advantage of being old (other than the obvious wisdom...) is not having to worry about these things. They don't exist for us...

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1371765224' post='2118000']...when songs are really clean and don't have background or unwanted sounds.
[/quote]

Welcome to the real world. How did that old song go..? "You can't... always get... what you want..." etc. There are some very fine examples of recordings with particularly suitable extraneous sounds. An example..? "The Lord Is In This Place How Dreadful Is This Place" (Fairport Convention...). One can hear coins being thrown down at the end. Beautiful piece, too. Just sayin'

Edited by Dad3353

I'm another one who benefits from a little hearing loss. I even have a pair of hearing aids that rarely get worn. :D
We used what was supposed to be decent gear for recording & I think the singer paid the soundy £80 out of the band funds for his day's "work", but that was before we got given the recordings.
There's a couple of good studios up here if my new band ever gets to that stage.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1371767734' post='2118039']
I'm another one who benefits from a little hearing loss. I even have a pair of hearing aids that rarely get worn. :D
We used what was supposed to be decent gear for recording & I think the singer paid the soundy £80 out of the band funds for his day's "work", but that was before we got given the recordings.
There's a couple of good studios up here if my new band ever gets to that stage.
[/quote]

Well, at £80, they never really were going to be fantastic, let's face it.

I am new to this stuff , and I guess the recordist was too :D , but I think I can learn much more from what needs sorting out on these kind of stems, for my own skills in recording and mixing , by identifying the mistakes of others IYSWIM , not to say I would do much better myself , but the chance to get the feel of what you can and can't do with sounds , and the quality they need to be in the first place is a great experience. it focuses the reality starkly with the expectation.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1371753837' post='2117811']
Cheers Garry , I think I will have to put a few phrases together how I like them then do a copy paste thing , I was hoping to split the actual tom hits from the track, I can ID them , but chopping each one out just seems a total pain , as I will also have to keep them in the right time space .
I will have a look for the auto chop that Si has eluded to , or overdub , but I didn't want to do that .
[/quote]

Sounds like a job for the dynamic split function...

[media]http://youtu.be/I_Z9IO9lMhQ[/media]

[quote name='moonbass' timestamp='1371765927' post='2118011']Anyone got any tips for noise reduction without changing the tone of the vocals?[/quote]

Yup. Try using the 'noise removal' tool in Audacity, which usually works a treat... and it's free!

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Here's how:

1. Open the file in Audacity and try to find a small section of the track where there's only hiss (can literally be a few milliseconds). Select this section.

2. Under 'Tools', open up Noise Removal and click the button marked 'Get Noise Profile'. The tool window will close.

3. Now go back and select all of the track (CTRL+ A).

4. Open up the Noise Removal tool again and this time clock the button marked 'Apply noise filter' (or something like that...). It will then remove the hiss you selected previously from the entire track.

I'm typing this from memory while on a train so some of the details above may be sketchy, but that's the gist of it. I use Audacity a lot for this purpose and it usually works great :)

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1371921324' post='2119660']
i may have missed this in the thread, but am i the only one that seems to have some really nasty spikes in some of the tracks?
[/quote]

What do you mean by that? There are parts of the tracks which seem to get quieter and louder, and the vocal track has clicks/scratches on it, other than that, can't say I have "spikes" in the track.

Getting close to be finished with this. Sorted out the noise on the vocals. Going to clean up the drum tracks now and hopefully improve them, but everything sounds pretty good, I think! I've spent a lot of time on it (probably in the region of 20 hours), but that's probably the same as an hour or 2 from the likes of Skol or Simon or any other professional or serious amateur mixing engineer :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1372011211' post='2120642']I've spent a lot of time on it (probably in the region of 20 hours), but that's probably the same as an hour or 2 from the likes of Skol or Simon or any other professional or serious amateur mixing engineer [/quote]

It gets [i]a lot[/i] quicker the more you do mate, so keep at it!. After a while the basics will become close to second nature, and you can concentrate more on the 'musical' aspect of mixing (rather than just getting to grips with the 'technical' side).

I once heard Andy Barlow from Lamb describe mixing as being "like learning a new language" and it's very true. You start off the with the basics, but once you gain some 'fluency' it really starts to get fun.

Keep on truckin', etc :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1372021628' post='2120817']
It gets [i]a lot[/i] quicker the more you do mate, so keep at it!. After a while the basics will become close to second nature, and you can concentrate more on the 'musical' aspect of mixing (rather than just getting to grips with the 'technical' side).

I once heard Andy Barlow from Lamb describe mixing as being "like learning a new language" and it's very true. You start off the with the basics, but once you gain some 'fluency' it really starts to get fun.

Keep on truckin', etc :)
[/quote]

It already is fun. I've just put the snare into midi and then decided to have 2 snare sounds layered, and it sounds really good now!... I won't tell you which sounds they are though! :P