Why become a member? ×

My experience with the shop bassgear

pierreganseman

Hi, 1st let me start off by saying I am not working for them, I am not affiliated in ANY way with this shop. The biggest "discount" they have given me was free shipping to germany (as thanks god i don't live in London anymore). I am only a freelance bass player , looking for good shop easy to deal with.

Overall after meeting them at the LBS in 2012, I could not be happier. The basses have been shipped in ultra double time. Very well packed, Barrie even went the extra mile to spend £10 for a better shipping service.

I am a freelance player only, so the bank is not always in good shape lol , Barrie has always tried to meet me halfway if needed.

I have always got answers to email (which is the only way I have delt with them, I have never even seen the shop) within one day. Which is very cool, 'cause it seems these days it's a fashion not to answer emails , or answer 6 month late and say "i hope you are still interested", well no i am not, in the mean time I went to some one who was interested in my money lol (I won't give any name, as this is about bass gear , and not other companies... lol)

All people there are bass players, Barrie went through more basses than me... and he knows his stuff

thumbs up for the guys there!

cheers

bassgear.co.uk

Edited by pierreganseman

Thanks Pierre :)

I think it does make a difference that everyone at BG (both full time and part time) are all active players.

There were two of us in this afternoon when a customer order for a Mesa 4x12 arrived. We dropped everything and immediately got it set up to test to make sure it was all working properly. It sounded immense!

We couldn't resist getting the Yamaha Billy Sheehan off the wall and checking how it sounded - proper rock bass and cab with an Aggie head of good measure.

The two of us were grinning from ear to ear - like kids in a candy store :) :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1371491541' post='2114556']
Thanks Pierre :)

I think it does make a difference that everyone at BG (both full time and part time) are all active players.

There were two of us in this afternoon when a customer order for a Mesa 4x12 arrived. We dropped everything and immediately got it set up to test to make sure it was all working properly. It sounded immense!

We couldn't resist getting the Yamaha Billy Sheehan off the wall and checking how it sounded - proper rock bass and cab with an Aggie head of good measure.

The two of us were grinning from ear to ear - like kids in a candy store :) :)
[/quote]

Sorry to hijack thread but how much is UK shipping Barrie? I'm looking to order some Fodera strings in the next couple of days and just wondered how to expect for p&p.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1371495777' post='2114669']

Sorry to hijack thread but how much is UK shipping Barrie? I'm looking to order some Fodera strings in the next couple of days and just wondered how to expect for p&p.
[/quote]

Flat rate of £3 whether it's one or two packs :)

I'd like to vouch for Bass Gear. I had a week of email communication with Barrie, it felt like to talking to an old friend about bass at most points.

Most importantly, I never felt like Barrie was trying to ram a bass down my throat to buy, it was clear that bass enthusiasm comes first.

I would genuinely love to buy a bass from them sometime. (did that Sterling with the messed up paint work ever come in Barrie?)

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1371541877' post='2115123']
I'd like to vouch for Bass Gear. I had a week of email communication with Barrie, it felt like to talking to an old friend about bass at most points.

Most importantly, I never felt like Barrie was trying to ram a bass down my throat to buy, it was clear that bass enthusiasm comes first.

I would genuinely love to buy a bass from them sometime. (did that Sterling with the messed up paint work ever come in Barrie?)
[/quote]

The Sterling is in and being touched up by the luthier we use. He's a top guy and really knows his stuff.

Unfortunately he damaged his back recently so everything's a little delayed.

Should be back soon though :)

Cool translucent red colour too :) :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1371543279' post='2115144']
I spent 3 hours there A/Bing a Nordy P5 and my Lull, then I had a little play with the Foderas. I shouldn't have done that!

Great place, nice people. Vic makes a mean cuppa.
[/quote]

That Fodera is now up for sale as an ex-demo with some money knocked off the price - just saying. . . :)

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1371632600' post='2116325']
yes, i can only agree. It is VERY nice to not feel like you MUST buy the bass right now , and in my experience They will even give their opinion whether it gets a sale or not.
[/quote]

I really can't bring myself to push a bass at someone that isn't right for them or that I can't recommend myself. In fact just yesterday I was telling someone about trying out a few different things at The Gallery because their range is quite different to what BassGear have in stock.

He's visiting Alex at the weekend and will, hopefully, make up his mind on merit rather than sales spiel :)

BassGear in Twyford should be the first place on anyone's list, no snotty attitudes like some bass shops, just heaps of helpfullness & enthusiasum.

BTW, they are nothing to do with me, I just been down there a few times now. :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1371499387' post='2114763']
Fixed now - Just type Birthday in the coupon code and it will take 10% off all Fodera strings :)

Any problems zap me a PM & I'll sort things out.
[/quote]

I just purchased them without the code in the end. The site wasnt accepting the code when I initially tried and vic didnt mention that the promo was still running when i called yesterday. I'm not bothered, it was only a couple of quid. Talked to Vic and he was a real nice guy. Great and friendly service. If the strings are as good as I've heard, I'll be back on the phone ordering in bulk :)

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1371708254' post='2117127']
I just purchased them without the code in the end. The site wasnt accepting the code when I initially tried and vic didnt mention that the promo was still running when i called yesterday. I'm not bothered, it was only a couple of quid. Talked to Vic and he was a real nice guy. Great and friendly service. If the strings are as good as I've heard, I'll be back on the phone ordering in bulk :)
[/quote]

The onsite code should be working now - I've tested it & it seems OK. People can get the 10% off if they call in and say they've seen the Fodera Birthday promotion.

It wasn't designed to be an 'open' offer so that'll be why Vic didn't mention it automatically. It was only available to people on the mailing list, FaceBook likes and BassChat members.

Happy to either refund the cost or take it off something else in the future :)

You can either PM me here or send an email to the info@bassgear address & we'll sort something out.

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1371709795' post='2117136']
How long has that been there? I had no Idea. Handy for me in Maidenhead. Good news.
[/quote]

I can't remember exactly but I think Phil got the keys in August 2011 and was open from September.

Had been based up in Harrogate but under 20% of sales were coming from an area loosely attributable to 'the north' so he decided to head south. 2013 has been such a good year that he decided to lease the unit next door as well and this doubled the size of the premises last month and added a much better acoustic environment for a dedicated amp & cab demo room :)

Mind you - there was someone in this week buying a new Mesa Powerhouse 4x12 cab and that tested the strength of the entire building let alone the quieter cab demo room, lol.

The Twford location is really good for travel. It's right next to Twyford main line station which is about 40 mins from London & easy access from anywhere on the main Paddington to Bristol / South Wales train lines or, via Reading, from Oxford direction.

Close to both M4 & M40 and not far from M3 for visitors from London, midlands, south west. It's 40 minutes drive from western parts of London.

Heathrow airport is also only 20 minutes away which is useful as we've had a few people fly over to collect things (nearly 50% of sales are overseas).

Of course - Maidenhead is even handier, just 15 mins or so I reckon :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1371716206' post='2117183']

The onsite code should be working now - I've tested it & it seems OK. People can get the 10% off if they call in and say they've seen the Fodera Birthday promotion.

It wasn't designed to be an 'open' offer so that'll be why Vic didn't mention it automatically. It was only available to people on the mailing list, FaceBook likes and BassChat members.

Happy to either refund the cost or take it off something else in the future :)

You can either PM me here or send an email to the info@bassgear address & we'll sort something out.
[/quote]

Honestly, I'm not fussed in the slightest. I was more enquiring just in case anyone reading this fancied taking advantage if it was still running. I'm happy to pay the asking price when dealing with nice staff who offer good service :)

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1371718361' post='2117221']

Honestly, I'm not fussed in the slightest. I was more enquiring just in case anyone reading this fancied taking advantage if it was still running. I'm happy to pay the asking price when dealing with nice staff who offer good service :)
[/quote]

Amen to that.