Why become a member? ×

"Price or trade value" is a bit annoying in ads => unwanted trade offers. * POLL *

Clarky

I appreciate all the hard work thats gone into setting up the new FS pages but the imposed "Price or trade value" statement at the top of each ad is getting my goat. Although I explicitly state in ads if trade is not an option and its sale-only, I have routinely got PMs saying "trades, mate?" or such like so that I have to politely reply and tell the person concerned that it does say sale-only in the ad. I saw another BC'ers ad this morning (voxpop's 6-string Shuker) where someone has had to go to the trouble of pointing out that its a sale-only item after another BC'er asked for trades. From the offerors' part, I guess this is leading to disappointment too if they have seen the bass/amp/whatever of their dreams and have got their hopes up as the ad automatically says the word "trade" at the top.

Is there no way of just removing the "or trade" part. Then the BC'er concerned can say in the text of the ad if trade is an option and what they might be looking for?

Oh and here's a poll for good measure!

Edited by Clarky

Nah, you're always going to get people trying their luck whatever you do. At the risk of stating the obvious (always worthwhile IMO), the point of '...or trade value' is so that those looking [i]only[/i] to trade have to indicate what they think their item is worth.

Well one guy has PM'd me three times now about my 63 Precision offering trades. Each time I have had to politely say its sale-only. I am unfailingly polite but ..... well you get my point. I realise thats one individual who cannot seem to understand plain (polite) English but it was all prompted by the "or trade" statement on the FS ad

I've found that people will try for a trade regardless of whether the seller's put 'no trades' in the ad or not. Hell, I've tried it a few times! Mainly because I really want the item and havent got enough money at the time. It's always worth a try, right?

Vis a vis that dude that keeps bothering you with trade offers, by now I'd have told him to 'go away' and then after he'd done that 'go away' again.

Truckstop

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1371298712' post='2112267']

I can imagine it could be annoying when trying to sell something, but is it really so hard to just say no to any unwanted offers?
[/quote]
Answer: no but it becomes a pain on repeated unwanted offers (see my post above about the persistent offeror). Also the setup in its current guise misleads people that trade is an option, raising false hopes on the part of interested parties

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] As is typical of votes - you need another option: "I have had sale offers when I have said trade-only and its a bit irritating" :-)[/size][/font][/color]

I've had a few folks wanting to buy my XL-2A when I'm really just interested in certain trades.

Now that I made it clear in the description, that seems to have helped. Hope I'm not speaking too soon.

CB

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1371298712' post='2112267']
I voted "doesn't bother me", but that's probably only because I only seem to buy stuff.[/quote]

Hmm... you know, I got the distinct impression this was a poll for people who routinely sell stuff...
It's obviously Clarky's fault for not making it clear enough. ;)

The Sale\Trade field is actually needed to allow the 'under £50 free advert' facility, both from a technical and procedural perspective.

Have you tried putting [size=5] NO TRADES [/size] at the top of the ad?

If people ignore something prominent like that, then I'd guess they aren't looking at the Sale\Trade Value field anyway.

Oh and I apologise for swearing. I was very drunk last night (had to go to a drinks party where I knew noone bar the neighbours) and came in to find my thread being described as redundant. Being drunk and being criticised don't go we'll together!

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1371377231' post='2113023']
Example 672: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/210158-cutlass-stingray-black-1984/page__view__findpost__p__2112988"]http://basschat.co.u...ost__p__2112988[/url]

See bubinga5's comment
[/quote]

I'm confused too - but that's not the systems fault.

Seems simply that the board software doesn't have the granularity to allow you to select "for sale", "for trade" or "for either sale or trade" when you're creating your ad. So it presents a generalised trade/sale price field, which can be a little confusing - so it's best if the seller then adds some free-form text saying "for sale only" etc.

Additionally, the board software doesn't appear to be multi-currency aware so expects you to be talking in £ sterling. In this case the advertiser would have been better entering £1975 into this field and adding his €2500 figure in the following text.

CB

Edited by cloudburst

I just don't think the seller is very clear with the various prices.

All the seller needs to do it state, in their advert, what they're looking for. See these randomly picked examples from todays updated threads:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/209220-ftfs-fender-jazz-bass-ri75-japan-from-1985with-us-pickups/
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/210165-for-sale-status-kingbass-level-42-30th-anniversary-limited-edition/
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/209525-rim-marseer-custom-6-feeler/

The reason we have to ask for a sale OR trade value is so that the software can see if the item qualifies for payment or not. Otherwise people might list things as for 'trade' for example but receive offers of cash, and vice versa. We could have used the term 'value of item' alternatively but then you'd stil have to state in the text weather it's for trade or for sale.