Why become a member? ×

Paul Simonons Precision? I hope this ones real!!!

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EX-CLASH-FENDER-PRECISION-ELECTRIC-BASS-GUITAR-1978-USA-PAUL-SIMONON-PUNK-MOJO-/300919406562?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item461031bfe2"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EX-CLASH-FENDER-PRECISION-ELECTRIC-BASS-GUITAR-1978-USA-PAUL-SIMONON-PUNK-MOJO-/300919406562?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item461031bfe2[/url] Any thoughts?

Well, the provenance is interesting. :huh:

[quote]
THE BASS CAME TO ME VIA PETE HOWARD THE LAST DRUMMER OF THE CLASH WHO WAS OWED MONEY AND WAS INSTRUCTED BY THE CLASH'S MANAGEMENT TO GO TO THE BANDS EQUIPMENT STORE AND TAKE MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS TO SELL BY WAY OF PAYMENT. HE TOOK DRUM EQUIPMENT, SOME OF MICK JONES'S GUITARS AND OF COURSE THIS BASS ONE OF 4 USED BY PAUL SIMONON THROUGHOUT THE LIFE OF THE BAND
[/quote]

Assuming it's real, there would seem to be some attached legal issues which the prudent buyer might be advised to check out.

That said, it looks like a '78P; people might be put off by the questionable history and the charmingly amateurish sales spiel, the latter lacking only the assertion 'plays superb like butter'. Possible bargain irrespective of connections?

Or will the rich numpties pile in, waving million dollar bills?

Edited by skankdelvar

Looks gorgeous, shame it's got the wrong pickups in it at the moment(DiMarzio's all the way!) Got to be worth aba £1000 £1500 regardless of previous owner, be interested to see what it goes for... just put a hefty bid on it myself like, however kosher the backstory... :ph34r:

My Precision is supposed to be ex Paul Simmonen (absolutely no provenence whatsoever and was priced accordingly to be fair) I brought it from a London shop near Oxford Circus some years back that was selling a couple of ex Joe Strummer guitars and was told my bass came from the same souce as the guitars.

Mine is a bog standard 78/79 White on Black with a maple board and at a little over 10 1/2 lbs was probably not a stage favourite if it was ever was Mr Simmonen's bass

Hmmmm, not sure about this one, having already seen the ad.

Paul Simenon apparently trashed his fave one in the infamous London Calling pic, but still has all the pieces. He had another at the time that he finished the tour with but said it was too light so didn`t have the sound of his fave. He has another with his name scratched into it which he has to this day. All this info being from a Fender Youtube clip as below. Only thing I can think of is, if legit, the one for sale is the "light one" he didn`t like that much.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cZzYSgFAlY[/media]

Edited by Lozz196

In spite of my avatar, I can't claim any special knowledge! But it looks like a legit 78P to me. I guess the Clash connection is impossible to prove one way or the other.

The bridge isn't original, and the pickup looks to have been changed. So it's not going to be worth much more than £1000 IMO.

edit - actually, looking at the later pictures, the bridge does look original. I think it's just an odd angle on the first pic.

Edited by simon1964

Baloney to talk up the price. ?

However if the story is true, the title to the instrument may mean it is stolen goods.
Instructed to take by a manager.
Unless the bass was the property of this manager, it was not his to sell.
Thats the law.

My opinion, just one of the many hundreds of Clash basses with accompanying stories.

Edited by spacey

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1371167998' post='2110901']
the latter lacking only the assertion 'plays superb like butter'.
[/quote]

Or the more irritating version from across the pond "plays like BUTTAH"...

At close to 13 pounds, that p is not a bass, it's a punishment...