Why become a member? ×

Wow.....

Bilbo

The first 13 minutes may be a tough listen for some folk but then it gets much prettier. I loved this era of DiMeola (I saw this band at the Hammersmith Odeon - with the future Mrs. Baggins)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SHVmjFDkx0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SHVmjFDkx0[/url]

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1370982126' post='2108346']
(I saw this band at the Hammersmith Odeon - with the future Mrs. Baggins[/quote]

Wow indeed, if she's willing tp put herself through that level of trauma for you, then NEVER let her go, she's clearly a keeper! :D

Edited by Subbeh

Ahh you see! There is nothing I don't adore about the solo guitar at the beginning, but when he starts doing the ol guitar-bongo schtick and the ensemble stuff, that's when I start thinking 'oh Al, you old tart, you', and I quickly get bored because for me it has none of the beauty of the sublime solo guitar, and Pat Metheny does it so much better.

But thank you so much for posting it, Bilbo, in recent memory NOTHING has inspired me to want to play so much!! :wub:

Bless up!

(That's a very charming phrase I just learned off a 16 year old rapper from the Acton 'hood I've been rehearsing with tonight)

Edited by xilddx

As much as I love Al Di Meola's electric fusion stuff, I always find him at his most compelling given a spare arrangement and an acoustic guitar! Though the electric stuff at the end of the show is sublime. I will be sitting down to watch this when I have the time!

Sorry, I have to post this again :) Pedro Sierra, a Flamenco. It's the authentic origin of what Al is doing.

And Bilbo, I just plugged my electro classical into some mental reverb and flatpicked the f*ck out of it, haven't had so much fun in ages :D Cheers!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRRaakNfRrQ[/media]

Edited by xilddx

i have it on pretty good authority that he's not a nice person to work with or be around
spent his first set complaining that he didn't have a stage fan
was found a fan during the break and then proceeded to complain that the
fan was too loud asking the audience after every song if they could hear it and pointing
his talkback mic at it saying "clearly the engineer can't"

but agreed incredible player all round shame really

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1371070056' post='2109544']
i have it on pretty good authority that he's not a nice person to work with or be around
fan was too loud asking the audience after every song if they could hear it and pointing

[/quote]

He was a bit patronising to Tony Levin once, probably not deliberately. Tried to tell him the notes to a difficult fast run on a recording session, but Tony just said play me the run, Al did, Tony heard it, copied it exactly and got a perfect first take.

If you've got your head up your arse learning highly advanced music most of your life, your social skills are probably going to suffer.

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1370982126' post='2108346']
The first 13 minutes may be a tough listen for some folk but then it gets much prettier. I loved this era of DiMeola (I saw this band at the Hammersmith Odeon - with the future Mrs. Baggins)
[/quote]
I saw him at Hammersmith a couple of times. Once sharing the bill with the Milton Nascimento Group. That was a bit special.

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1371070056' post='2109544']

[/quote]

Hardly a shock that a guy playing something that self indulgent and pulling those faces would act a dick.

I watched it and thought 'The man can play no doubt but he looks a right knob'

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1371073753' post='2109615']
I'm just waiting for someone to say that he's not a good role model.

That's the usual garbage that's aimed at musicians, actors or footballers.

Cue the yawn icon. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Nah, I don't have a problem with him being a dick (if he is) most pro musicians are as Nige said and he is hardly the type of person impressionable teenagers would listen to.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1371073988' post='2109616']
Nah, I don't have a problem with him being a dick (if he is) most pro musicians are as Nige said and he is hardly the type of person impressionable teenagers would listen to.
[/quote]
Who mentioned teenagers? :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1371074551' post='2109627']
If you are over 19 and you are trying to emulate people on the TV or whatever then it's not their fault, it's your's.
[/quote]
Unless of course the person you're watching on TV is a nice person or not. :rolleyes:

I wish that i'd known all this before i paid out a couple of quid to see Al all those years ago. I have decided now only to go and see really nice people who regularly give a percentage of their fee to charity, are kind to animals, don't swear, are not patronising to the audience and give money to starving people worldwide.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1371075578' post='2109647']
I wish that i'd known all this before i paid out a couple of quid to see Al all those years ago. I have decided now only to go and see really nice people who regularly give a percentage of their fee to charity, are kind to animals, don't swear, are not patronising to the audience and give money to starving people worldwide.
[/quote]
I recently saw a Facebook post from Pat Travers talking about being introduced to Al DiMeola, saying what a 'down to earth' nice guy he was, all be it a nice guy who drank and smoked a lot and whose language would make a marine blush! Now Travers is always said to be a decent chap by those who have met him and he liked DiMeola, so who knows what he's really like...

Either way, still a stunning guitar player!

Edited by peteb