Why become a member? ×

'General Discussion' has turned into 'Off Topic'

Spoombung

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1370872306' post='2106634']
I'm wondering if the two words 'signed' and 'unsigned' still mean anything. Perhaps they still do on Basschat!
[/quote]

They don't really anymore, but saying you are signed allows those who need such endorsements to feel it is ok to like a band, it lends credibility, some people need their feelings to be validated.

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1370872306' post='2106634']
I'm wondering if the two words 'signed' and 'unsigned' still mean anything. Perhaps they still do on Basschat!
[/quote]

Not overly. Perhaps because I'm a salaried type, I've always had the pleasure of just viewing it as "music" - perhaps because I'll never need to earn my crust from it.

If it's good, I'll like it. Nothing more. Did spy my iphone was full of demos from random stoner rock bands, just putting out their own stuff to their own standards - and some of it is brilliant, but never going to see! :)

I've never really given any thought to the signed / unsigned thing. Maybe I incorrectly assumed that most bands on BC would fall into the latter category - profuse apologies if I'm way off target. It's not something I look for, I just press 'play' and hope I'm going to like what I hear.

Too true about the number of posts lamenting the music available - amybe we should provide these individuals with some well chose links to the BC recordings section :)

I don't have much of an excuse for 'missing' anything, as I use the 'View New Content' page as my default page in BC. This way I get to see all, whatever the forum. I'm sure I'm not alone, but others will have their own surfing habits.
As to the popularity of the tracks/videos posted here, I really don't use any different 'filter' just because it's BC. There's a lot that, although respecting the person posting, I wouldn't keep for more than a few seconds on the radio, or listen to in the car. My tastes (for what they're worth...) are rarely satisfied in those sections (with some note-worthy exceptions, of course...), probably because I'm an old hippy, and miss the Dead too much..! This is not so much a reflection on BC as on myself; I have equal dissatisfaction with the stuff I see on the box, or the radio (although R4 does not usually even try to prod music at me...).
Should there be more reactivity from fellow musicians..? For me, not. I find the view slightly akin to navel-gazing, really. It's a part of our lives, certainly, but not that important for many of us. To those that are more keenly motivated: respect, and more power to their elbow, but to expect 'musicians' to be more tolerant and open is, to me, something of a pipe dream. A pity..? Perhaps, but at least, when the praise comes (and often it does...) at least it's sincere.

Happy to plug the Recording section as a whole on Twitter - as opposed to [s]spamming[/s] continually reminding our followers about the Comp Comp and the Mix Comp :D
Let me know if that can help.
What I make a point of avoiding on BC's Twitter account is promote every single release or band gig by members. That would fill up our followers' feeds, irritate them, and also open us to criticism of the "you plugged his gig a lot but didn't plug mine enough" kind.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1370700463' post='2104586']
[b] General Discussion[/b]

[color=#7F7F7F][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]If its bass[b] or music related[/b] and doesn't fit one of the other more specific forums, then put it here.[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

See also:

[b] [url="http://basschat.co.uk/forum/9-off-topic/"]Off Topic[/url][/b]
[color=#777777][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
For talking crap really - or anything not bass related at least. Avoid religion, politics and anything sexist please.[/size][/font][/color]

I save all my posts about religion, politics and sexism for "General Discussion"

[quote name='Jah Wibble' timestamp='1371042316' post='2109006']
I was wondering if anyone had a markbass 12.1h traveler they might be selling?
[/quote]

Don't do it, man! That MB cab is really terrible.
Buy my StreamMax 12.2h instead. It has [b]point one more![/b]
"We're not being coy when we say ours go to 12.2 ..."

BTW, PM only. 7 quid is really a lot when selling a £2,000 amp. Greedy besterds.

;)

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1371055912' post='2109266']

Don't do it, man! That MB cab is really terrible.
Buy my StreamMax 12.2h instead. It has [b]point one more![/b]
"We're not being coy when we say ours go to 12.2 ..."

BTW, PM only. 7 quid is really a lot when selling a £2,000 amp. Greedy besterds.

;)

best,
bert
[/quote]
Ha!
Nice one bert, thanks, but I've got a cmd 121h I'm lookin to pair it with.

[quote name='Jah Wibble' timestamp='1371066334' post='2109478']
Nice one bert, thanks, but I've got a cmd 121h I'm lookin to pair it with.
[/quote]

Rats, and I was just done scissoring out the front, and was about to ask the kids to colour it.
Well, it's your loss! :D

b,
b

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1371035528' post='2108838']
When you start worrying about the overlap between GG and OT, it's time to switch off your computer and go outside for a while.
[/quote]

"outside"??? Is that still there?