Why become a member? ×

'General Discussion' has turned into 'Off Topic'

Spoombung

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1370700463' post='2104586']
[b] General Discussion[/b]

[color=#7F7F7F][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]If its bass[b] or music related[/b] and doesn't fit one of the other more specific forums, then put it here.[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

On topic?

I think it has occasionally turned into other sections. Maybe a bit too many of the 'here's my new band vid/CD/website/song' (delete as appropriate) that should be elsewhere. I don't get too excised about it though.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1370800254' post='2105741']
I think it has occasionally turned into other sections. Maybe a bit too many of the 'here's my new band vid/CD/website/song' (delete as appropriate) that should be elsewhere. I don't get too excised about it though.
[/quote]

If BC members could be bothered to go to the recording section and listen to other members' music and watch their videos, then the posting of them in GD might lessen since there would be little need.

But I suppose the majority of members would rather talk about, rather than actually listen, to music.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1370857961' post='2106257']
If BC members could be bothered to go to the recording section and listen to other members' music and watch their videos, then the posting of them in GD might lessen since there would be little need.

But I suppose the majority of members would rather talk about, rather than actually listen, to music.
[/quote]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-PIckHrZ0o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-PIckHrZ0o[/url]

:)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1370857961' post='2106257']

[/quote]

I suspect you are right about the second point. Education of members to look there would be the long term solution, maybe a hyperlink to a thread in the recoding section and stuff in footer (like you do Nigel). I think members would be aggrieved if for sale posts started appearing in the section - although I notice a number of "I'm thinking of selling this bass" type threads.

For the record I listen to the stuff that gets posted and do visit the recording section too. Just seems a little odd that the sections on the site for specific topics by and large are read and posted in, the recording section, argualbly one of the more important bits of the site appears to have a poorer following.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1370867010' post='2106509']
I suspect you are right about the second point. Education of members to look there would be the long term solution, maybe a hyperlink to a thread in the recoding section and stuff in footer (like you do Nigel). I think members would be aggrieved if for sale posts started appearing in the section - although I notice a number of "I'm thinking of selling this bass" type threads.

For the record I listen to the stuff that gets posted and do visit the recording section too. Just seems a little odd that the sections on the site for specific topics by and large are read and posted in, the recording section, argualbly one of the more important bits of the site appears to have a poorer following.
[/quote]

All fair comment, I suppose one reason is that I reckon people assume it's for recording questions. Sadly, listening to, or watching videos, of new music that doesn't have a record label behind it is extremely low on people's priorities, even if it's from a Basschat member. They would probably rather watch a video of someone soloing on a fretless 8-string becuse they feel they'll at least learn something from that.

It's a shame because there's some top class music on here that's gets very little attention if it's in the Recording thread. Gareth Flatlands' band InFictions, urb's Rae Forrest Project, and (forgotten his user name) Hold The Suspect are three that spring to mind immediately. And how could I forget Clarky's band All The Queen's Ravens, Pantherairsoft (shep) Our Helical Mind, and plenty of others.

Edited by xilddx

If you're making music or art of any kind the fight is always against massive public indifference. Bass players are no different as consumers on thus respect. In general they are chronically indisposed to other people's music and peculiarly to the efforts of their fellow bass players as is evidenced in the almost perpetual disinterest in the 'recording' and 'gigs' section.

Ironically there are often numerous threads directly related to an inability to find new/interesting music.

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1370871939' post='2106629']
If you're making music or art of any kind the fight is always against massive public indifference. Bass players are no different as consumers on thus respect. In general they are chronically indisposed to other people's music and peculiarly to the efforts of their fellow bass players as is evidenced in the almost perpetual disinterest in the 'recording' and 'gigs' section.

Ironically there are often numerous threads directly related to an inability to find new/interesting music.
[/quote]
Well said Kev, couldn't agree more

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1370871939' post='2106629']

[/quote]

And just to add to that mate, the comments I've seen on here stating most unsigned original music is f***ing crap.