Why become a member? ×

Limelight slab 66

Bassman Steve

The bass actually looks half decent !
I quite like it :) even though I an not really a fan of "relic" instruments.
I think that the prices are close to being too much (in my opinion) for an unknown / newish builder though.
They are a lot cheaper than fender CS & Nash guitars though

Edited by Chris Horton

You called?!

Are you sitting down?

I don't like it. The relic job is extreme to the point of comical - I mean, look at the state of the machine head plates - is that mould?! The back of the neck looks nasty too.
If it nails the sound, I would request a clean one to be built for me. Presumably, without the 'ageing', at a cheaper price. :P

edit: two of the other basses for sale on that website used to be mine (and I want one of them back!)- can you guess which ones?

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1370612956' post='2103469']
You called?!

Are you sitting down?

I don't like it. The relic job is extreme to the point of comical - I mean, look at the state of the machine head plates - is that mould?! The back of the neck looks nasty too.
If it nails the sound, I would request a clean one to be built for me. Presumably, without the 'ageing', at a cheaper price. :P

edit: two of the other basses for sale on that website used to be mine (and I want one of them back!)- can you guess which ones?
[/quote]

Must admit I agree re the relicing Ben - I`d prefer a nice shiny new one, then get my own wear. Have a possible bonus coming in from work, and clean shiny Slab 66 may be a way of disposing of it..................

Edit - just looked at the site again, and I`d settle for a knackered one as well :D

Edited by Lozz196

I once mentioned that one of his basses was perfect except too heavily reliced. To my surprise I received an email expressing his thanks that I liked his work and it included an offer to build me a very similar bass reliced (or not) to my taste for a VERY good price. Top man, very good basses and to this day I'm thinking about taking him up on his offer.

The point is, he'll build you a slab without the relic, or in with less relic, or in bubblegum pink cadillac paint if that's what you want.

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1370636356' post='2103908']
I once mentioned that one of his basses was perfect except too heavily reliced. To my surprise I received an email expressing his thanks that I liked his work and it included an offer to build me a very similar bass reliced (or not) to my taste for a VERY good price. Top man, very good basses and to this day I'm thinking about taking him up on his offer.

The point is, he'll build you a slab without the relic, or in with less relic, or in bubblegum pink cadillac paint if that's what you want.
[/quote]

Thanks Jack, very nice to know.

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1370636356' post='2103908']

[/quote]

Agreed. I've dealt with him many times before and have nothing but praise for him. I [i]nearly[/i] once bought one of the other Limelight relics but decided against it as I couldn't get down there to play one first and I had no idea of what I would be getting. Just a bit too risky at that price to buy without seeing or playing first.

Good to know a 'clean' example can be built too. But the real question is, does it nail 'that' sound?

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1370951134' post='2107774']

Good to know a 'clean' example can be built too. But the real question is, does it nail 'that' sound?
[/quote]

I've been checking out the Limelight stuff too, and agree they look nice, esp'y the less heavily reliced ones...but re the Slab - what is [i]that sound[/i]...? Are we simply talking Entwistle's sound, or do they sound different to other P's of that era? I've never heard one - either original or a repro - and am curious.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1370602712' post='2103247']
[url="http://www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/"]http://www.classican...lguitars.co.uk/[/url]
[/quote]

Eeek! There is a fake version of a well-known "hand-made" US bass guitar on that site!!! :o :(

Seriously, could we further anger Mr Hall with that link? Guilt by association or something?? :huh:

Edit - Sorry, just spotted Nige's post above :blush: Still, it's a nice one isn't it? ;)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='mickster' timestamp='1370952401' post='2107795']
I've been checking out the Limelight stuff too, and agree they look nice, esp'y the less heavily reliced ones...but re the Slab - what is [i]that sound[/i]...? Are we simply talking Entwistle's sound, or do they sound different to other P's of that era? I've never heard one - either original or a repro - and am curious.
[/quote]

Hmmm, bit of a hot potato this. Some swear the slabs had a slightly different tone to the usual Precision - a bit growlier. Some think they didn;t sound different at all. I've never played one so have to rely on old recordings but I'm definitely one who believes they have that little something 'extra'.

Quotes from John Entwistle, Slab lover:

“There is something different about the sound of these Precisions…I’ve tracked it down to the pickups and tone circuit — the sound is much raunchier and gutsy and has a hint of distortion when the volume is flat out.”
[indent]
“The slab Precisions were like white, squared-off Telecasters, with a split pickup, a maple neck, black scratch plate and what looked like blue veins coming through the white paintwork. I don’t know what they used on them but those basses had a sound of their own, really raunchy with more of a growl than a regular Precision.”[/indent]
Again, what causes this different sound is a mystery - JE traced it to the pickups and circuitry, whereas others put it down to the extra mass of the body, or even the neck. It's an endearing mystery.