Why become a member? ×

does anyone gig sitting?

iconic

Saw Mari Boine and band last week. Fabulous gig. Guitarist and drummer played sitting down, bassist, trumpet player and Ms Boine stood. Last month, I went to see Lau at the Union Chapel - all 3 sit to play (guitar/vox, violin, accordion). Given the choice, I'd opt for sitting, but it depends a lot on the genre and general vibe of the gig (and available stage space).

EDIT: it occurs to me that at both the gigs I mentioned, the audience were seated too - I wonder it it's less appropriate to play sitting if your audience is standing??? Just a thought. Though the Proms would suggest that this shouldn't be taken as a general rule.

Edited by Earbrass

There's a wonderful piece from OGWT in the 70's showing Bill Withers doing [i]Lovely Day [/i]with his band. They're all sitting down in the studio, on stools and in chairs, while the bass player is lounging back in a sofa, playing while apparently half asleep.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1370603040' post='2103255']
....There's a wonderful piece from OGWT in the 70's showing Bill Withers doing [i]Lovely Day [/i]with his band. They're all sitting down in the studio, on stools and in chairs, while the bass player is lounging back in a sofa, playing while apparently half asleep....
[/quote]

That's so they can't hurt themselves when they doze off.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1370580963' post='2102960']
might be worth setting your strap length to the same height as when you're playing sitting down, (ie don't have the bass down by your knees!)
[/quote]

I do just this. I'm on my feet all day at work, often lugging stuff about. I've plenty of stamina for standing gigs, but sit at home. Consequently, my strap is so adjusted.

I've gig seated for acoustic gigs, as do the guitarists and the singer. I'd have to stand if using the upright.
Otherwise I only sit due to injury/convalescence.

[quote name='the_skezz' timestamp='1370558589' post='2102860']
To be honest, unless it's extremely laid-back, easy listening music or else an acoustic gig, I wouldn't bother watching a band whose members are sitting down - I like groups who try and engage the audience a bit, and it's harder to do that and draw attention to yourselves sitting down than it is standing up. Makes them look like they can't be arsed more often than not too, like they're just going through the numbers rather than making an effort.
[/quote]

Jack Bruce [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPDZ2M51XDw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPDZ2M51XDw[/url]

[size=4]Jeff Healey [/size][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_xvESvZF5s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_xvESvZF5s[/url]

Not sure how good they are though, Jack seems to have a good guitar player and drummer though.

Guy Pratt sat down for most of his masterclass at LBGS. I was sat at the back and did not catch one glimpse of him.

I much prefer to see performers standing up, unless in very small intimate surroundings. (Steve Lawson at Tower of Song springs to mind).

And I much prefer playing standing up. I'll learn things sitting down, then stand up to practice them. I like to move around a little bit and I'm trying to improve on that.

I play standing up as much as possible but have a Kinsman stool on stage when I'm going to be playing for more than about 30 minutes. Had a bad bike crash in 2001 and the soft tissue damage resulting from that causes me significant pain if I stand up for too long.