Why become a member? ×

Live rig frustration

Guest MoJo

Guest MoJo

I've lost count of how many amplifier/cabinet combinations I've tried yet I'm still to find a rig that I can plug into and get a tone I'm happy with. The result is constant eq'ing with increasing frustration.
Even more annoying is the fact that my near perfect tone can be found in my little Peavey Max 158 practice amp. If I could get that tone loud enough to cut through a live mix, I'd be a happy bunny

Guest MoJo

Yeah, I should have mentioned, we only have a small vocal PA and play off backline. We're a pub covers band. DI'ing into the PA isn't an option unfortunately. Currently playing through a Hughes and Kettner Quantum 600 into a Schroeder 21015 cab

Edited by MoJo

Hello MoJo - I was born & raised near W,ton and always use trips home as an excuse to visit Bass Direct in Warwick. Many of us on here have had similar rig issues resolved by its owner, Mark. He's Dr Tone! I suggest you pay him a visit with your bass & your Peavey & see what he prescribes.

Guest bassman7755

Playing at high volume standing near your amp means that generally you just arn't hearing the "real" sound i.e. what the audience and even other band members are hearing - your too close to hear the low frequencies properly and (unless the center of your uppermost drivers are near ear level) too off-axis to hear much high end. Try to get a listen to your sound out front sometime before you condemn your sound, ideally with someone else playing your gear (I say someone else because I'm convinced that the act of actually playing skews ones perception of the sound). Id also suggest doing this with a fairly flat EQ as a starting point, with most decent modern gear you'l usually find that you need much less EQ adjustment to get a good out front sound than you might think.

Edited by bassman7755

Guest MoJo

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1370088117' post='2096328']
Playing at high volume standing near your amp means that generally you just arn't hearing the "real" sound i.e. what the audience and even other band members are hearing - your too close to hear the low frequencies properly and (unless the center of your uppermost drivers are near ear level) too off-axis to hear much high end. Try to get a listen to your sound out front sometime before you condemn your sound, ideally with someone else playing your gear (I say someone else because I'm convinced that the act of actually playing skews ones perception of the sound). Id also suggest doing this with a fairly flat EQ as a starting point, with most decent modern gear you'l usually find that you need much less EQ adjustment to get a good out front sound than you might think.
[/quote]

Will do

I may be missing some thing on this , but nearly every room you play will affect your tone in a different way , If you are looking for a 'one setting fits all ' solution you won't get it , go wireless or get a long lead and make your way to the back of the pub and do your sound check there . you will have to run back and to for any amp EQ, but it will give you a clue and a much better feel the sound you are producing

what they all said. I can usually find a workable sound from any amp I find in front of me. Very long lead, walk out front on the soundcheck and you will realise it's much nicer than you think.
I was frustrated with an amp I had for ages, then I loaned it to a local festival for the weekend, and out in the audience it sounded bloody lovely. And then I sold it to Marvin.....

Good advice from Bassman7755 - the sound up close to the amp is usually a fair bit different to the one the crowd hears. I`ve had some great on-stage sounds, but when going out front on soundcheck, they`ve been not so good. I`ve now adopted the set the amp and walk 20 feet in front of it while the band are playing to get my sound approach.

It`s funny though, my fave ever sound I`ve had is with my current practice amp, an Ampeg BA108 - maybe miking up practice amps is the new way forward?

Guest MoJo

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1370122848' post='2096794']
Mark, set up your rig, then play a little repeating loop on your B3. Then put your bass down and wander out front for assessment. Then wander back and make adjustments as required.
[/quote]
My GT10 owning guitarist friend suggested exactly the same solution

Edited by MoJo