Why become a member? ×

Getting the Passion Back

fragility

No, I'm not trying to locate a missing copy of the Mel Gibson movie. I've just come to these boards for the first time in a long time, but it has really helped me reconnect with bass this morning. My job essentially went completely mental and I have been managing like 30mins max bass per week for the last 18 months. This has meant that when I do play, I'm even more crap than I ever was and it just isn't enough time to fuel a desire to play.

I am determined to change this. My job's not going to get any better any time soon, but I need to start making some time for something I enjoy. While that's not bass right now, last night's drunken rock out has reminded me how much I used to love it. So, my plan, in embryonic form right now, is to start waking out some small bits of playing time, use my time stood at the station every day to catch up on these boards and try and refuel my passion.

Anyone got any other tips?

Welcome back :)

Can you keep a cheap bass at the office to play on your lunch breaks? Create a playlist of songs where they really make you WANT to play bass. Technically speaking you don't need a bass in your hands to practice either :)

Classic time management technique for these 'Important but not Urgent' tasks is to stick time in your diary and stick to it. Of course having a diary first will help and telling anyone who needs to know that this is your bass time.

Tell work you have an appointment every Thursday at 7pm that you have to get home for and that should take care of you getting out of the office and into the habbit.

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1369643920' post='2091060']
I had a life changing year in 2009 and I always try to remember the following;

There isn't a tombstone in this land with "they wished they spent more time at work"

Welcome back
[/quote]

+1 but in 2002!

if you have interwebs access at work then during your lunchbreak maybe check out some youtube tutorial vids like [b]devinebass[/b] or [b]MarloweDK[/b]

even if you havent got a bass to hand to practise on just watching over and over them carefully and analysing rather than just casual browsing can help you pick things apart in your head ready to tackle them with a better insight

if it helps try perhaps imagining that its not a computer screen and that they are giving a personal bass lesson to your best friend and that you are sat in the same room watching :D

Edited by steve-bbb

I read this wrong...this isn't about getting the passion back...as in it went somewhere and we lost it, it is about finding time for something you want to do.
You'll just have to put it on your list of chores to do, like everything else

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1369646554' post='2091101']
Get the gas, then you have to make time;)
[/quote]

+1 on this. Sometimes the novelty of a new toy can get you back into the swing of it then its just a case of keeping it going. Until very recently I was feeling a bit jaded playing in my band and was putting more and more energy into my side project band where I just sing lead vocals and don't play an instrument at all but having just bought my 1st 6 string after years of playing 5 strings I'm now absolutely loving the bass again! Joining this forum has also fired me up too (the missus is none too impressed with the amount of time I spend on here now but you can't win em all) so just being in touch with other players in this way helps you to have bass on the brain.
Bottom line is if you have the motivation you'll soon find / make the time!