Why become a member? ×

Cheap 1977 Precision

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1977-vintage-american-precision-fully-loaded-bass-guitar-excellent-condition-/360655848081?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item53f8c38291"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1977-vintage-american-precision-fully-loaded-bass-guitar-excellent-condition-/360655848081?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item53f8c38291[/url] I'm after one myself but this isn't the one for me...

Hi, I suppose its just the first impression I got. I don't like the colour anyway but with the white jazz pickup, the colour scheme is definitely not for me. It looks a bit too shiny, so maybe its had a paint job? Somehow with it having no inlay markers it looks a bit bland. Might have been fretless? I'm not sure what to make of that either? It may sound and play great though and if its genuine, its very cheap...

I know a bit but no expert.
1. Almost guarentee that is a re-fin
2. Not sure about neck/fretboard from those pics but highly dubious it came out of the factory like that. IF it came out of the Fender factory.
3. Pickguard should have a label underneath with the same serial number as headstock.
4. Jazz pup and extra rotary are definitely after market additions.
I would be wanting photos of neck off, pickguard off and close up of pots as I really not sure how much, if any, of a Fender 70's P is left.
Someone who knows a lot more than me will comment before long I would guess.
Karl.

The problem with that bass is that either the seller hasn't a clue, having been fed a pile of crap by whoever he bought it from, or he's full of crap himself, the Jazz rout was done with a chisel, it's a horrible refin, and not exactly the best year in Fender's inventory. Worth a risk at £500

The colour is certainly not original. The jazz pickup is not original. The lack of markers on the fretboard is highly suspicious - the seller's suggestion that it may have been fretless originally doesn't ring true to me.

Pictures of the pots will undoubtedly show that they're not original - they can't be because of the added pickup. And for the same reason the pickguard cannot be original as 70s Fenders only had two knob guards.

At best you might have a few bits of a 70s P but it's not worth very much IMO

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1368474984' post='2077577']
The amount of fakes is devaluing the brand, even experts struggle with the precisions without doing a full strip down.
Could be a re-hash, they were £150a pop second hand basses in the 80's
[/quote]

Some of the fakes were a lot better than the originals in this era!

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1368565498' post='2078740']
If you look at how the saddle screw lengths are set too, if it were a fretless it could have had a terrible fret job making intonation difficult to set up properly.
[/quote]

Good point!

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1368602783' post='2078960']
The colour is certainly not original. The jazz pickup is not original. The lack of markers on the fretboard is highly suspicious - the seller's suggestion that it may have been fretless originally doesn't ring true to me.

Pictures of the pots will undoubtedly show that they're not original - they can't be because of the added pickup. And for the same reason the pickguard cannot be original as 70s Fenders only had two knob guards.

[/quote]

It's the fact that the seller seems to think it's original that's most worrying though! Quite possible that none of it is Fender

Agree, most of the fakes were better in this era, the fact that a neck from a 70's precision bass can still be fretted and played should arouse suspicion immediately, they were never designed to last, they were modular, just buy a new neck, but the value is in originality and far too many confuse a botched up parts job with a collectors instrument these days.
It is very easy to rip off novice first time collectors with hash ups who then realise that they have been had.
To be valued and collective it has to be as made and often in its case, exceptions exist with rare basses as you have to take what there is.
But this is not it, it may have parts of old basses, it may have none, but some mug will buy it.

On the other side, some people are making fortunes out of reheated shed finds.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1368474984' post='2077577']
The amount of fakes is devaluing the brand, even experts struggle with the precisions without doing a full strip down.
Could be a re-hash, they were £150a pop second hand basses in the 80's
[/quote]
Devaluing the brand? In what way?

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1368602783' post='2078960']

[/quote]

Good grief, I was pretty much right then. Not like me! :P

To me it looks like a late 70s p bass that has been modded and arsed about with. Body, scratchplate, bridge, knobs (the p bass two), pickups etc all look like the real deal but refinned and J pickup added. Lord knows about the story of the neck though. I seem to recall this being sold a year or so ago in the Peterborough area.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1368609338' post='2079060']
Agree, most of the fakes were better in this era, the fact that a neck from a 70's precision bass can still be fretted and played should arouse suspicion immediately, they were never designed to last, they were modular, just buy a new neck, but the value is in originality and far too many confuse a botched up parts job with a collectors instrument these days.
[/quote]
Never designed to last?

40 years on and still going strong suggests there were. :)