Why become a member? ×

Dizzyness

Count Bassy

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='375799' date='Jan 10 2009, 12:03 AM']There's a gorgeous story about Ted Nugent firing up his colossal touring rig in the studio, hitting [i]one[/i] apocalyptically loud chord, passing out and falling backwards to the ground. As he lay there unconscious, the feedback was bouncing his (semi-acoustic) guitar around on his chest.

The engineers found this hugely amusing and left him in there for some time before grudgingly pulling the mains power.[/quote]

Ted Nugent: friend of animals everywhere...suicidal animals that is.

Good price on ER20s in this ebay store: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Elacin-er20-musicians-high-fi-earplugs-case-er-20_W0QQitemZ220336109936QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Access_RL?hash=item220336109936&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318"]here[/url]

The Nuge is deaf in one ear from that, or possibly from the guns. Surprised we haven't managed to destroy anyone yet, with Chappell of Rest's 5150 full stack in a livingroom sized venue. Our drummer complained he couldn't hear his cymbals over it.

I get this all the time and put it down to my awsomeness.

I really am great and get all dizzy and tingly just talking about myself.

In all seriousness, if you find youself getting dizzy or anything then turn the f*** down. You're clearly f***ing nuts if you're listening to something that makes you dizzy. Spend the £7 on ear plugs instead of finding yourself lying on the floor claiming that you were the one that invented the banana and other stupid sh*te.

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='210329' date='May 31 2008, 10:55 PM']Like most guitarists, our likes it loud, even when practising in our dining room. Everything else then gets loder to compansate, so our practises get pretty loud.

Thing is that at times when it the volume peaks, or it may be particular notes, I feel myself going dizzly for a couple of seconds, like I've stood up to quickly.

Obviously ear plugs is an answer that I'll be looking into, but in the meantime I'm curious if anyone else suffers this.

For information I have a grommet in one ear (not the plastacine dog), which might not help the situation.

Clive[/quote]

It's not just stress is it? All that adrenalin pumping can make you very light headed.

I've had this a few times, but only from the PA - never backline or cymbals.
I've found it happens when one ear gets a loud blast, liek if you walk past the PA stack. It just throws my centre of gravity out for a second or two.

+1 to all the comments about earplugs. We all use them now.
+1000 to the fact that you shouldn't be rehearsing at that volume.

my bet is its due 2 a protection system the ear has in place. The ear compresses if it feels it could be damaged. This inturn could momentarily throw your balance. The reason different frequencies for different people is simply some people are more sensitive to certain frequencies.

I'm certain I have a problem in both ears.

They feel like they're blocked - like when water's in them post-shower - all the time. There's no gunk in there , used drops and had them syringed. The result is I can hear my own voice too loudly and I've started speaking so quietly to compensate that folk can't hear me. I had a lot of problems scuba diving a few years ago - think it stems from that.

I know I should go see the quack but I'm a bit scared he'll tell me to stop playing. I'm not the trusting bloke when it comes to medical types anyway. When I bust my knee climbing mountains the doc said 'don't climb any more mountains then'. Brilliant.

Its really common for bands to practise with the volume too loud. One of the best things one of the sound engineers we worked with did was make us go through and set all out volumes. He started out by standing out front and getting the drummer to play the song, then the bass came in and we set the volume for that. Then the rhythm guitar joined in and the volume was set. Then the lead guitar and then vocals. It was amazing how all over the place was the volume levels were and how much clearer and quiter the final result was. After that, it really helped with everything from communicating when writing, expressing certain parts as instruments were not competing with each other, our health and mood was better as we were not shouting or having headaches and everything just sounded so much better. Its really worth trying this and getting your levels set.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='377620' date='Jan 12 2009, 01:06 PM']I'm certain I have a problem in both ears.

They feel like they're blocked - like when water's in them post-shower - all the time. There's no gunk in there , used drops and had them syringed. The result is I can hear my own voice too loudly and I've started speaking so quietly to compensate that folk can't hear me. I had a lot of problems scuba diving a few years ago - think it stems from that.[/quote]
Sounds like a problem with the Eustachian tubes. Is it like when you have a really snotty cold and get totally bunged up?

• 1 year later...