Why become a member? ×

Switch to the TC Electronic style rig from large Ashdown all Valve rig

CPBass

Hi folks,

Ive found myself having to change my beloved Ashdown rig. :-( its the CTM 300 with the CL610 and is simply devine. Problem is hat i cant afford roadies so i need a portable rig that offers similar services with as little compromise as possible.

I see the TC boys have got the RH 750 which is linkable to lots of cleverly designed cabs.

I was thinking of moving towards a TC RH 750 with a pair of RS 212 cabs. This rig looks like it could deliver quite a kick with the opion of adding even more cabs if required.

Has anyone else found themselves in this situation that can offer advice or suggest other rigs? Due to where im based, gtting around to try these rigs isnt viable.

All ideas, thoughts and input welcome

Cheers

Col

Edited by Voodoosnake

Well sort of... I had an ABM500 1x15 combo and 1x15 cab, and switched to a TC Classic 450 and Barefaced Midget and Compact. No regrets. The Classic is a dumbed-down version of the RH 450 (no memories, no tuner, fixed EQ frequencies). It's plenty loud, so the 750 should be er... 300 louder.

I did look into the RS cabs but decided to go for lighter weight. According to TC you can run up to 3 8-ohm RS cabs from one of their heads (but only 2 'other' cabs).

EDIT: Worth considering a mix of cabs to give yourself more options for different venues / rehearsal / home use.

**stands back to allow RS cab owners to have their say**

Edited by JapanAxe

I've owned at different times a RH450, RS210c (the one with the cubby hole) and still have a RS112. They are all good bits of gear: I found the RH450 a bit complicated for my liking although it sounded good but did colour the sound (not in a bad way, but it has a dark-ish sound). I sold the head to get something more suited to my simple self.

The RS210c was pretty good, but too heavy for me (I have back issues though - it is very light for a 210 really) and replaced it with the RS112 which I still have.

The 112 is very small from the front but actually surprisingly deep - and rear ported so on a shallow stage can be a pain but i really like the sound, it gives plenty of warmth. I'm toying with either getting another RS112 or getting a pair of Purple Chili 1x12 cabs made.

If you are interested in the RS112 let me know - I might let it go for the right price.

Also, there's been a lot of issues with the finish of TC cabs. I think all the ones I've had are 'new finish' but it's still easy to chip as I discovered on the 210. As soon as I got the 1x12 I got a cover and bought some little stick on feet which have saved the finish (only a couple of quid online), I'd recommend doing the same if you get them!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1366666202' post='2055846']
Well sort of... I had an ABM500 1x15 combo and 1x15 cab, and switched to a TC Classic 450 and Barefaced Midget and Compact. No regrets. The Classic is a dumbed-down version of the RH 450 (no memories, no tuner, fixed EQ frequencies). It's plenty loud, so the 750 should be er... 300 louder.
[/quote]

300 What?

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1366704341' post='2056060']
300 What?
[/quote]

300 TCEW's (TC Electronic watts :P)

The TC stuff is good, I just moved on because I fancied a change.. which reminds me I still need to take photos of my amp :lol:

The cabs are good too, not Berg good but still very good.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1366704918' post='2056066']
300 TCEW's (TC Electronic watts :P)

The TC stuff is good, I just moved on because I fancied a change.. which reminds me I still need to take photos of my amp :lol:

The cabs are good too, not Berg good but still very good.
[/quote]

:lol:

I've heard a lot of good reports about the TC stuff. Wouldn't mind trying one sometime.

I currently have the Classic 450, RS210 and a RS212, I came from an Ashdown 410 and MK500 head. Pretty much for the same reason as you, the Ashdown cab was a mare to move on my own, plus I was remodeling the car every time I took it out.

I can carry all the TC gear in one go, all fits snugly in the boot of the car and sounds monstrous. Plenty loud enough for most gigs, if I need more volume or a little spread I go PA. As for colour, I haven't noticed it myself (doesn't mean it isn't there), but for nice deep, mellow, slightly growly blues sound it works a treat.

I also have the benefit of having a few friends with TC gear and we have managed on a couple of occasions to build the 3 cab rig, 210, 212, 112 (you can see it [url="http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/578638_10151277741471792_307079825_n.jpg"]here[/url], I'm 6'3" to get an idea of height), and also a 210, 2x212 rig ([url="http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/3510_10200327161718448_697913392_n.jpg"]here[/url])

I went from a big 'classic era' Trace Elliot rig (not valve, though) to TC Classic 450, through Barefaced Compact and Midget. Superb rig. I like the way the TC colours the sound - it was actually the reason why I bought it when I spent a day at the Bass Mechants a couple of years back trying everything FWIW I tried all the heads there through a TC cab as the chap I spoke to (whose name I have forgotten) said it was the closest thing they had to a Barefaced cab (but in his opinion not as good).

I decided I needed a back up head and bought a Genz Benz Streamliner 600, the plan being to regularly gig with whatever rig I preferred and keep the other as a spare. It is also a superb rig with the BF cabs. Just different. The TC has the tubetone control, which gives a pretty authentic overdriven tube sound that is nicely controllable on the fly to vary your sound, should you need to (I do). The GB has tube preamp and gives the genuine tube-y sound but it is hard to adjust it on the fly as when you adjust one control you have to adjust others to compensate. I also like the TC Spectrocomp or whatever it is called which gives a very useable compression. I find myself using the TC head more nowdays as it is easier to get the sound I like. If I were starting again I would buy the RH450 so I could use the programmable footswitch - I now realise I would find that incredibly useful even though, at the time, I didn't think I would.

But the huge thing is that sounds from heads is so subjective. I get the sound I like from the TC head but a lot of folks hate it. Unless you can try it out in the flesh you never really know - I went out with my credit card fully intending to buy an Orange Bass terror from what I had read on here but it didn't even get shortlisted once I tried them all out.

I've recently converted to an RH450 from a 500w Warwick Tubepath and couldn't be happier. I use it in a couple of covers bands, one doing more classic rock(Sabbath, zeppelin etc) and the other doing a more varied mix like Duran Duran, RHCP and it sounds great. The presets are handy, as are the on-board compressor, tubetone and tuner, which have enabled me to ditch rack tuner and drive/comp pedals. It's great having head, speaker cables, foot switch and instrument cable in one little bag, I have a cab permanently at our rehearsal space so I just grab the bag, one bass and I'm off, no heavy rack or extra lead bags to carry. I'm not fully lightweight yet as still using my Warwick 411 cab, but hopefully the RH450 will soon be paired with a Barefaced S15, for a complete one trip monster rig, cab in one hand, bass in other, TC bag over shoulder. As has been said though, there are a few people here who have owned and disliked the TC so if possible trying one out (preferably alongside some other class D heads) would be beneficial.

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1366719865' post='2056337']
I've recently converted to an RH450 from a 500w Warwick Tubepath and couldn't be happier. I use it in a couple of covers bands, one doing more classic rock(Sabbath, zeppelin etc) and the other doing a more varied mix like Duran Duran, RHCP and it sounds great. The presets are handy, as are the on-board compressor, tubetone and tuner, which have enabled me to ditch rack tuner and drive/comp pedals. It's great having head, speaker cables, foot switch and instrument cable in one little bag, I have a cab permanently at our rehearsal space so I just grab the bag, one bass and I'm off, no heavy rack or extra lead bags to carry. I'm not fully lightweight yet as still using my Warwick 411 cab, but hopefully the RH450 will soon be paired with a Barefaced S15, for a complete one trip monster rig, cab in one hand, bass in other, TC bag over shoulder. As has been said though, there are a few people here who have owned and disliked the TC so if possible trying one out (preferably alongside some other class D heads) would be beneficial.
[/quote]

Now if you get wheels on the back edge of the cab & a clip on the top, you could tilt the cab back, attach the clip to your belt & that's you a full one trip wonder! :yarr:

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1366720132' post='2056345']

Now if you get wheels on the back edge of the cab & a clip on the top, you could tilt the cab back, attach the clip to your belt & that's you a full one trip wonder! :yarr:
[/quote]
I think the S15 has wheels so all I need Is a belt clip!! :D

This has been a great help guys. Many thanks

I'm in the process of drawing up a shortlist taking price, power and portability into consideration. Looks very much like a visit to Bassdirect is on the cards. Mark has a great range up there, just got to keep remembering why I'm doing this and not coming back with a Krampera stack and flaming credit card

At the mo its between the TC RH 750 + 2 cabs (210/212)
or Genz Benz Streamline 6.2 + 2 cabs (210/210)

Any thoughts on the Genz stuff??

Will keep you posted

I use a TC RH750 with a Berg AE212 cab, love 'em both but the AE212 and I suspect most 212's are not that light if you are carrying them upstairs or the like. I wish now that i'd gone for 2 individual 12 cabs as they'd be much easier to move around. I've had barefaced cabs before (midget and compact) and they are truly lightweight!

I moved from an ashdown abm II 500 to an rh450 through a range of different cabs. I really liked the rh450, the build quality and all the features are fantastic but I couldn't settle on a decent sound. I got an excellent deal on a genz benz shuttle 12.0 and haven't looked back. Not as plush as the rh450/750 but it has the capability to dial in a wealth of tones, its light and packs a serious punch. I play in death/black metal bands with two guitars and if I choose to do so, can drown out the rest of the band. I pair it with a schroeder 1212l and a trace elliot 1518c, very portable rig.