Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Transport

Telebass

That will be me.

Although I have a driving licence, if I'm realistic with myself, I am an appalling driver and Britain's roads are a safer place without me behind the wheel. Also I really can't bring myself to throw money away on my own personal motor vehicle, IMO they are all very poor value for money.

For out of town gigs (where at least the drums will be provided) the whole band squeezes into one car with our instruments, amps (if required) and drum breakables. For local gigs and rehearsals where I'll be using my full rig, I'll get a taxi. Last year the amount I spent on taxis to do this was still less than the running costs of having my own car (insurance, tax petrol etc.) and that's before I even take the actual cost of buying a car into account.

I would consider owning an equal share of a band vehicle that was big enough to seat the whole band plus at least 2 others and fit all the gear, but owning a personal car? Forget it.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1366536831' post='2053565']
Last year the amount I spent on taxis to do this was still less than the running costs of having my own car (insurance, tax petrol etc.) and that's before I even take the actual cost of buying a car into account.

I would consider owning an equal share of a band vehicle that was big enough to seat the whole band plus at least 2 others and fit all the gear, but owning a personal car? Forget it.
[/quote]

a very sensible and well considered approach unfortunately for me it's the complete opposite driving my car to gigs is the cheaper/easier option, especially if i give a band member a lift (we usually split the parking ect.) however it depends from gig to gig. If i know the house amp is decent (the underbelly in hoxton has a nice little trace combo) then i'll jump on the tube but generally if i'm taking my rig then i'll take my car means i don't have to deal with the fun of night buses on the way home :)