Why become a member? ×

The Police

xilddx

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1366583005' post='2054594']
What pisses me off is that they were "The Police" and then it became "Sting and the Police", which make think he's an arrogant self opinionated twat.
[/quote]

Having read peoples responses to this it looks like I got this wrong, so apologies to both Sting, and (completely separately) "The Police", and to anyone I may have upset here.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1366718714' post='2056316']
Having read peoples responses to this it looks like I got this wrong, so apologies to both Sting, and (completely separately) "The Police", and to anyone I may have upset here.
[/quote]

Sting's mum should be included in this, I reckon.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1366718847' post='2056320']
Sting's mum should be included in this, I reckon.
[/quote]

Think he lost his Mum to cancer around 87.. lost mine last year to the same bloody thing.
Anyway, he's a British treasure whether we like it or not.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1366720051' post='2056342']
He's a genius that speeds up. He would drive me MENTLE.
[/quote]

Heh, I know what you mean, but I think that's part of what I found exciting about them at the time.
Don't listen to them much now tbh. I can't get beyond Sting's lyrics.

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1366618330' post='2054800']
but somehow summers style is not my cup of tea + I never heard him do a solo that I liked.
[/quote]

The short lead break in "Driven to tears" is probably a case in point. I'm not sure if it's genius or someone falling over whilst wearing a plugged in guitar.... :D

Some of Sting's solo stuff is so memorable- Fields of Gold, Seven Days etc but it's his stuff with The Police which really stands out for me. Edgier, more exciting, less polished perhaps. Maybe Copeland is the thing that gives it that edge for me, that danger.
Whenever I see Taylor Hawkins drum I think of Copeland mixed with Dave Grohl which really equals some serious energy and commitment to a part or song.

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1366535890' post='2053547']
. But, the thing that I feel uncomfortable about is the [i]"white guys playing music with a reggae feel"[/i] thing I'm afraid. Especially in the early days.....

Just my opinion :D
[/quote]

it did The Clash no harm