Why become a member? ×

5 string/6 string. what is the point?

timmo

Some players like to get down below the bottom E, so a fiver fits there. Others like to get up into guitar territory or play chords, so a sixer fits there. Some others don't want the low B but like the idea of chords and notes above a G, so a fiver tuned EADGC fits there.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1366395101' post='2052108']
Some players like to get down below the bottom E, so a fiver fits there. Others like to get up into guitar territory or play chords, so a sixer fits there. Some others don't want the low B but like the idea of chords and notes above a G, so a fiver tuned EADGC fits there.
[/quote]
I don't do any of those thing very often but I do play across the board making things easier and also can play songs in different keys much easier if playing with different bands playing the same songs but in different keys.

A lot of modern music is best suited to very low bass notes, down to B or sometimes lower. A 5 string makes this possible without losing the upper range.

Personally I don't do a hell of a lot of tapping so I don't necessarily 'need' a 6 string, but it helps me to be able to play a wider range of notes without my left hand whizzing up and down the fretboard so I always feel more comfortable using one.

Five and six sting basses allow you to play lower and higher notes than a standard 4 string bass. They also give access to more notes with less left hand movement through playing across the neck rather than along it.

Five and six basses have been around longer than you think...

Fender first made the Bass VI (tuned like a guitar but an octave lower) in 1961 and the Bass V (normally tuned E-C) in 1965.

The modern 5-string bass (tuned B-G) dates from the late 70s. I bought my first 5-string in 1989 and my oldest 5-string bass was made in 1983.

Ahh ok.Thanks for the replies.Not something a beginner should worry themselves about then.I haven`t really noticed them until a few months ago.But when you take up a new hobby, you tend to notice things more.Like i always listen to the bassline closer than i used to when listening to music

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1366396896' post='2052145']
Ahh ok.Thanks for the replies.Not something a beginner should worry themselves about then.I haven`t really noticed them until a few months ago.But when you take up a new hobby, you tend to notice things more.Like i always listen to the bassline closer than i used to when listening to music
[/quote]
Lots of people start on a five these days, probably easier if its something you want to do anyway.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1366396919' post='2052147']
Good post BRX but you forget to say if they are better or not :D
[/quote]

For me, as someone who also plays guitar, they feel more comfortable, but that might also have something to do with the fact that I've hardly played any 4-string basses for the last 24 years.

So as to what's best, that's up to each player to decide. I've recently been going through all my 4-string basses trying to decide if any are worth keeping, and for me the answer is "no".

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1366396896' post='2052145']
[/quote]

I jumped straight from 4 to 6 strings after 2 years of playing, so don't rule it out if it interests you :) I did accidentally play the wrong string a lot while I was still getting to grips with it though :lol: To this day, I probably play a 4 and a 6 string about the same amount of time each, so you don't have to abandon one for the other.

Oh, and yeah bass playing has totally changed the way I listen to music too! I feel the groove and nod in different places than, say, a guitarist would!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1366399185' post='2052199']
I play 4's, quite fancy trying a 5 - will it make me a better player?
[/quote]
It has me 100% certain about it but its not for all, I won't be going back and since I broke my wrist and am struggling even with five a six looks more interesting than ever, we could put sir duke back in the set!

I am ruling out a 5 or 6 string at the present time, as i have blown all my meagre savings on buying a 4 string.Maybe in the future.Another thing that i have learned, it is very rare to find a one bass person, so i still have to add to my collection.I had the presence of mind to buy a 3 rack stand, so i have room for 2 more

Edited by timmo