Why become a member? ×

5 string/6 string. what is the point?

timmo

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1367090397' post='2061255']
The Fender Bass VI was introduced about 1961 but the Danelectro 6-string Bass - with which the Fender was intended to compete - had been around since the mid-fifties.

I'm guessing neither become the norm for bass parts because they didn't thump like a Precision (or some other 4-stringers). When it did get used it tended to be either for tic-tac bass or for more twangy guitar-styled work in, for example, surf bands or Glen Campbell's solo on Wichita Lineman.
[/quote]

I think you're right - it really isn't a bass, in the traditional sense, at all. In the same way Stanley Clark's piccolo basses aren't (and they're 4 strings). The 4 string bass guitar was clearly intended to be an update for the upright 4 string (although 5 string versions of them are around!) - and much as with upright, the instrument took a supporting role in much music in which it was used - although there were exceptions where double bass players in jazz bands took a more prominent role. For electric bass, it wasn't until the mid 60s that this happened (Jamerson/soul music), and probably not until the 70s that virtuoso bass guitarists appeared.

5 string really started in the late 70s/early 80s, often to get the low notes on disco/R and B/dance music of the time - bass parts which were far removed from the thump along role of the bass in pop music in the late 50s to the mid 60s.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1367074863' post='2061011']
Perhaps as a reminder that almost all of the time four strings (and very possibly fewer strings) is enough.
[/quote]

Most of the music I play with my classic rock covers band could be accommodated by a bass with just an E and an A string. I once took my Atlansia Solitaire (one string) bass to a rehearsal to see just how many of the songs in our set songs were playable on it. The answer was quite a lot, although I did have to work quite a bit harder to play them!

It actually depends on what you need/want/feel comfortable with. I have 4 basses - 2 5s and 2 4s, one fretted and one fretless of each. And I use them all - just for different stuff.

I found that many "conservative" 4-stringers are horribly biased against ERBs - I have no idea why. Does it kill them, does it threaten them or what? I think a 4-string bass is a beautiful thing but when you need to go below E without sacrificing the higher register you and hate detuning (and I mean totally hate), like I do - what's the solution? A fiver, of course. And since I make use of the sub-E range quite frequently, it's my Alembic Essence 5 that gets the most playing time. On the other hand, songs that don't need those low notes are more comfortable to play on a 4 string - and that's where my Fender Geddy Lee Jazz comes in handy. As for my fretlesses - it's basically the same thing, however I bought the 4 (an '84 Ibanez Roadstar) mostly because I'm very much into the 80s stuff atm. But it also gets to be played quite frequently - actually, more than my Malinek fretless 5.