Why become a member? ×

Ginger Baker Documentary - I can't wait to see this !

Dingus

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1366309925' post='2050954']
If it's anything like the interview he gave Robert Elms recently I wouldn't bother unless you're into monosyllabic grunts. :(
[/quote]
[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1366310137' post='2050964']
Ginger Baker is one of my drum heroes. So I was very disapointed when I heard him once on Week Ending on Radio 4 and he came across as a bit of a berk tbh.
Would still like to see this docu though.
[/quote]

That reputation for being "difficult " is exactly why I think he is such an interesting subject for this film . That , and the fact that he is amongst the most gifted and exciting drummers to ever pick up a pair of sticks , in my opinion .

Talanted man or not he is one of the grumpiest gits I have ever come across. If you watch the story of Cream, he has the right hump with Jack Bruce and Pete Brown as they have made more money out of Cream than him.

[i]They wrote the songs Ging!!![/i]

I've got some vague recollection that he has got a daughter who is a bass player - I seem to remember Wal making a bass for her .

Ginger would come close to the top my list of musicians I wouldn't want to cross , that's for sure . I would venture that he is a prime example of of someone whose personality and musicality being indivisable - if he wasn't the man he is he wouldn't have such a unique identity on the drums .

Edited by Dingus

Still controversial, after all these years..! That, in itself, is a feat. His style can become somewhat wearing after the first 20 minutes of soloing. I'd be very interested in the documentary, though, to try to fit together some of the various emotions he and his playing provoke.

I saw Cream at the Atlanta Ballroom in Woking,(long gone now)...and cant remember exactly,but Eric or Jack had forgotten something,so Ginger did a massive long drum solo,while waiting for the missing item,..it was brilliant. but the crowd did get bored eventually and started slow hand clapping.
Ginger was standing outside the Ballroom during their break with Eric having a smoke and someone dared to ask for his autograph,he politely told them to "F" off.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1366312552' post='2051012']
...if he wasn't the man he is he wouldn't have such a unique identity on the drums .
[/quote]

Indivisible is right. It's telling that people like his drumming, but not him. It's the 'if only he/she were...' brigade again.
Stamp out bourgeois revisionism!

Reading his autobiography (ghosted by/written with his daughter) on Kindle - a bargain at 99p! (Honestly).

Makes you realise - as if we didn't - how much luck plays a part in things. And yes, he's right IMO to have the hump on the writing front given what he put into songs. White Room wouldn't be the same without his odd time-signature intro.

The lucky man in the right place at the right time was Pete Brown. A millionaire due to a year's supply of crappy sixth-form poetry!!

Love his playing on the masters of reality album.
Here's a song with him telling America how to make a cup of tea.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTuXBoA688Y"]https://www.youtube....h?v=DTuXBoA688Y[/url]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DTuXBoA688Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Stu-khag