Why become a member? ×

Will this do/be loud enough?

Jimryan

Morning all, sorry it's been a while,

As some are aware, I'm currently using a TC BH250 and running through a ghetto home-made cab. A cab which I've had a few problems with recently. Now that it's rebate time, I thought its a good idea to invest in a decent cab/s.

I'm eyeing up the TC BC212, just tried it in the shop and love it. My question is, on it's own, are they loud enough? Or do they really need the additional cab (which I'd opt for the 210). In the shop it sounds loud enough, but I'm putting that purely on it was at head height and the mids are much clearer. Whilst playing I put it up to half volume and walked away and it was loud, but it was stacked in the shop. I'm thinking it might be quieter at floor level.

It might help to mention that I'm playing in a bass led funk/soul band, heavy drummer, loud keyboard, even louder guitarist and with two saxophones.

I really want the TC cabs to match the head, but is one enough?

Cheers

James

I used my BH250 for the first time the other night at a gig level volume. Loud drums, two guitars. I was using it with two cabs and it sounded great. It did work ok with one but had much more oomph with both cabs.

My cabs are Mark Bass 2 x 10"s so apologies if this post is of no use to you at all :) I've no experience of the TC cabs.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1365765483' post='2044086']
I'm guessing that with the line up you play with, you will need two cabs.
[/quote]

Agree. With that line-up, plus a 250 watt amp which will prob only deliver 180 or so watts at 8ohms, I`d reckon 2 cabs. I think with this, I`d start off with just the one 212, after all, if it works it works, but if another cab is needed, get another 212. Purely as, for rehearsals just take the one cab, at gigs, use both, no need for re-eqing.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1365764707' post='2044070']
Morning all, sorry it's been a while,

As some are aware, I'm currently using a TC BH250 and running through a ghetto home-made cab. A cab which I've had a few problems with recently. Now that it's rebate time, I thought its a good idea to invest in a decent cab/s.

I'm eyeing up the TC BC212, just tried it in the shop and love it. My question is, on it's own, are they loud enough? Or do they really need the additional cab (which I'd opt for the 210). In the shop it sounds loud enough, but I'm putting that purely on it was at head height and the mids are much clearer. Whilst playing I put it up to half volume and walked away and it was loud, but it was stacked in the shop. I'm thinking it might be quieter at floor level.

It might help to mention that I'm playing in a bass led funk/soul band, heavy drummer, loud keyboard, even louder guitarist and with two saxophones.

I really want the TC cabs to match the head, but is one enough?

Cheers

James
[/quote]

I used to own a BC212 which I used with a TC 450 Classic. When I swapped the TC amp for a Ashdown ABM 500 the BC212 just couldn't keep up and resulted in distortion (I was playing with a loud rock drummer and a louder guitarist). The BC212 is only a 250 watt cab and is not really capable of huge amounts of volume unless you use it paired with another cab. For the price of two BC cabs you could buy a RS410 which is much more capable.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1365764707' post='2044070']
....I really want the TC cabs to match the head, but is one enough?....
[/quote]

I've had 2 TC amps and loved them, but I don't know TC cabs.

TC say that you can run their 210's and 212's together so I would start from there.

IME, more speakers running at half chat will always sound better than fewer running flat out. Also more speakers will give you a better tone at louder volume levels.

I reckon I'll start with one, and see how it goes. I like the idea of two.

We are loud, but we Taylor our volume to the venue. We play a lot of pubs, but get the occasional wedding and function (would defo need two there).

The 410 was something I considered, but I'd rather opt for the two separate cabs, that way if its a small venue, I'm not taking as much.

Cheers for the input though guys, keep it coming.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1365783107' post='2044544']
Can you afford to go Barefaced?

Fraction of the size/weight, one will be loud enough for absolutely anything but probably twice the cost of a BC212.

It's unlikely you'll want for anything else. Ever.
[/quote]

I've heard nothing but good news about barefaced, but there's no way I'd be able to afford one just yet and I've been promising myself for a while now and love the idea of a TC rig.

Still really need to try barefaced stuff though.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1365770756' post='2044225']

IME, more speakers running at half chat will always sound better than fewer running flat out. Also more speakers will give you a better tone at louder volume levels.
[/quote]

This exactly . Nothing sounds worse than a bass rig straining like it's going to explode at any moment . A lot depends on overall volume levels , but a loud drummer usually means more cabs and more power .

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1365770756' post='2044225']
[/quote]

Sorry, too generalising to be true. More speakers does not mean more able to handle input power, excursion is more important. Regarding tone at higher spls, it absolutely depends on the drivers and cab design.

Edited by 4 Strings