Why become a member? ×

Voltage differences from EU

Bass Lady

I am fairly sure this is a "stupid" question and one I already know the answer to but I just want to make doubly sure I am not being dim.

If I were to purchase a cab from Europe there should be no voltage issues as there is no power running to it.

Is this correct?

Congrats. You will be going from three hundred watts output to a 500 watts. I reckon you will be a very happy player when you stack them together. Just make sure you use proper speaker cable when connecting the combo to the cab (Not a guitar cable). I feel jealous already

Edited by leroydiamond

If you add a speaker to your setup, the power comes from the output of your power amp, not from the
wall plug. Therefore, if in general you match the ohms/watts you are fine.

In your case, the CMD 121 and the cab are a very good match, so no problems here.

[quote name='Bass Lady' timestamp='1365174954' post='2036395']
Thank You :drinks:

I'm getting a MarkBass NY 121 cab to go with my lovely MarkBass Mini CMD 121P combo so I "don't" have to think about the OHMs and Watts etc. Waaaay over my head. :secret:
[/quote]

Though, since the UK use the same mains voltage as the the rest of the EU, even if you buy some mains powered equipment it will work without any problems. You just need a UK mains lead.

Edited by ~tl

Be warned, however, that Europeans often use a different measurement system ('metric'...) which could give deceptive dimensions. 30 cm is not quite the same as 30 ", for instance. Just a 'head's up'; you may have already been aware. :mellow:

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1365382131' post='2038908']
fixed

best,
bert
[/quote]
Is it fixed? No! It's on it's way to Paul's Bass Matters this weekend.
[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1365367874' post='2038723']
Also watch out for Tech21 gear which has separate 230V and 240V versions for use in Europe and the UK respectively. I found out the practical way; by blowing up a brand new RBI :mellow:
[/quote]
I didn't know that. I have one of those BH250 amps(won't be taking it to England) ;-)

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1365367874' post='2038723']
Also watch out for Tech21 gear which has separate 230V and 240V versions for use in Europe and the UK respectively. I found out the practical way; by blowing up a brand new RBI :mellow:
[/quote]

The standard in both the UK and continental Europe is 230V ±10% - i.e. 207 to 253V so there shouldn't have been a problem.

Yes, except that the UK mains voltage is still nominally 240V.

When the EU standardised the mains voltage to 230 +/- 10% (as dincz rightly pointed out), it meant that 240V +10% would be outside the EU specification, i.e 262V.

But the UK had to implement the EU directive to harmonise mains voltages so it changed the specification to 240V -10% +6%.

So, a bit like the metrication of 19-inch racks to 482.6mm.

The bottom line, as dincz pointed out, is that any equipment having trouble operating between mainland Europe and UK mains supplies hasn't been designed properly.

[quote name='Bloc Riff Nut' timestamp='1365400723' post='2038936']
Is it fixed? No!
[/quote]

Sorry for not being clearer.
I just meant I had fixed your 'transformer' text. I did that just in case anyone could get confused. Point being you needed a step down to 110V, not a step up to 230V.

best,
bert

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1365413918' post='2039077']
Yes, except that the UK mains voltage is still nominally 240V.

When the EU standardised the mains voltage to 230 +/- 10% (as dincz rightly pointed out), it meant that 240V +10% would be outside the EU specification, i.e 262V.

But the UK had to implement the EU directive to harmonise mains voltages so it changed the specification to 240V -10% +6%.

So, a bit like the metrication of 19-inch racks to 482.6mm.

The bottom line, as dincz pointed out, is that any equipment having trouble operating between mainland Europe and UK mains supplies hasn't been designed properly.
[/quote]
Nominal UK voltage has been 230V for quite sometime.

Although in practice the voltage we receive at the socket hasn't changed at all. :rolleyes: