Why become a member? ×

Bass Direct's got another RARE Precision, pricey though!

Grand Wazoo

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1365355049' post='2038453']
To me it kind of misses the point of P-basses. Just like posh Teles.
[/quote]

Yeah, seeing an ultra-posh Tele always feels a bit like looking at a 60's Land Rover with a spoiler slapped on the back.

• 2 weeks later...

I find F holes on a P bass just odd... or f holes generally. A P bass should be built like a tank not some semi hollow thing... just too fragile - I like the idea of the warwick infinity too... just not the f holes

Great comments, everyone: I see the value in all of them.
I myself especially agree with EssentialTension's (both in his positive and his negative comments).
Be that as it may, I won't be drinking beer for a while (I prefer wine, anyhow, and what a wonderful off-topic this can be)!
That is to say that this wonderful bass has a new home in Italy (40th birthday gift to myself).
And, yes, it is a dream (IMHO, the sound does match the looks: they are both incredible)!
It's been said that we're all different (and I couldn't agree more, thank goodness): to me, this is THE electric bass.
Doesn't mean it's perfect or there's nothing I would change. However, even so, this is THE electric bass. Period.
Thank you Mark Stickley for being so helpful and courteous! ... and thank you Dennis Galuszka for ... you know ... building this beauty!
Ciao, all.
Pier
PS. Please don't classify this post of mine under "bragging" but, rather, under "happy and in a mood to share this" :-)

[quote name='PierBea' timestamp='1368659711' post='2080041']
I myself especially agree with EssentialTension's (both in his positive and his negative comments).
Be that as it may, I won't be drinking beer for a while (I prefer wine, anyhow, and what a wonderful off-topic this can be)!
That is to say that this wonderful bass has a new home in Italy (40th birthday gift to myself).
And, yes, it is a dream (IMHO, the sound does match the looks: they are both incredible)!
It's been said that we're all different (and I couldn't agree more, thank goodness): to me, this is THE electric bass.
Doesn't mean it's perfect or there's nothing I would change. However, even so, this is THE electric bass. Period.
Thank you Mark Stickley for being so helpful and courteous! ... and thank you Dennis Galuszka for ... you know ... building this beauty!
Ciao, all.
Pier
PS. Please don't classify this post of mine under "bragging" but, rather, under "happy and in a mood to share this" :-)
[/quote]

Good for you Pier. :)

One mans meat is another mans poison as they say. If it's [i]the[/i] bass for you, and you've managed to not only find it, but buy it, then thats [i]all[/i] that matters. Many musicians spend their whole life looking for [i]that [/i]special instrument, and never find it, you have, and you have [i]every[/i] right to celebrate it!!

I'm delighted for you, because i know how it feels to land your very own holy grail.

Rick.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1366990592' post='2060042']
A Precision bass is not a one trick pony - compare and contrast JJ Burnell versus James Jamerson.

One trick pony? No.
[/quote]

Hold on...

JJ Burnell

James Jamerson

Could the JJ stand for James Jamerson?

Is James Jamerson really James Jamerson Burnell?

Is JJ Burnell really James Jamerson Burnell?

Have I uncovered a great conspiracy?

Nope, but it was fun while it lasted :D

Ciao, all.
Pier
[/quote]

Complimenti per la tua compera, fui io quello che scrisse il primo post su questo basso, quindi dovresti ringraziare anche me. Mark Stickley e' molto professionale, io ho comprato molto da lui, e visito il suo negozio almeno ogni 3 - 4 mesi all anno, da Londra lui e' un po' fuori mano, circa 170km, ma ne vale la pena. Facci vedere una foto quando ti arriva, se non ti e' gia' arrivato.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1368694752' post='2080189']
Hold on...

JJ Burnell

James Jamerson

Could the JJ stand for James Jamerson?

Is James Jamerson really James Jamerson Burnell?

Is JJ Burnell really James Jamerson Burnell?

Have I uncovered a great conspiracy?

Nope, but it was fun while it lasted :D
[/quote]

You could have something there. Apparently they've NEVER been seen in the same room together.

Ciao, all.
Pier
[/quote]
Very good. I've changed my mind about the pickup; it doesn't need to single coil at all.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1368694281' post='2080183']
Many musicians spend their whole life looking for [i]that [/i]special instrument, and never find it, you have, and you have [i]every[/i] right to celebrate it!!
I'm delighted for you, because i know how it feels to land your very own holy grail.
Rick.
[/quote]
Thanks for your kind words, Rick.
Agreed: the quest for the [i]holy grail[/i] is everlasting.
At this moment, I feel I found mine. In the future, who knows?
I bet you know that, as well...
:-)

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1368695033' post='2080193']
As you will see from my signature, I have one of the A/E Precision basses which is semi hollow (mine is a fretless). It actually works brilliantly and I thought that bass looks gorgeous - you're a lucky man Pier.
[/quote]
Thank you, as well, Steve: I do feel very lucky (in more ways than this).
I had a bit of a preconception concerning the whole idea of a semi-hollow P, myself. In the end, however, I thought "why not?"
And I agree: it does work brilliantly!

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1368696760' post='2080214']
Complimenti per la tua compera, fui io quello che scrisse il primo post su questo basso, quindi dovresti ringraziare anche me. Mark Stickley e' molto professionale, io ho comprato molto da lui, e visito il suo negozio almeno ogni 3 - 4 mesi all anno, da Londra lui e' un po' fuori mano, circa 170km, ma ne vale la pena. Facci vedere una foto quando ti arriva, se non ti e' gia' arrivato.
[/quote]
Hai perfettamente ragione.
Da italiano malpensante, avevo dato per scontato che l'iniziatore della conversazione fosse stato il negozio stesso.
Grazie mille, soprattutto a te: molto probabilmente, non l'avrei trovato senza la tua segnalazione!

[quote name='mickster' timestamp='1368704229' post='2080338']
Good for you, Pier - a gorgeous bass :) Now go play the hell out of it !! :D
[/quote]
Will do, sir: you bet!

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1368718640' post='2080675']
Very good. I've changed my mind about the pickup; it doesn't need to single coil at all.
[/quote]
Funny you should mention.
When I first saw it, I was in fact glad it had a split coil.
The bridge, now, that's a different story...
:-)

Thank you all for your great feedback and kind words.
This is a very fortunate and happy time in my life and I felt like sharing some good thoughts and feelings: and it worked!

I'll post a few pictures of the bass in its new home.
I'm not equipped (neither gear-wise nor chops-wise) to post sound samples, so please don't ask or I'll be embarrassed.

Best, all. Ciao!
Pier

PierBea - congratulations! It's a real stunner. I usually prefer maple fingerborards on Fenders (and Fender-like basses) but this one is perfect just like it is. I'd lose the pickguard but otwerwise everything is just beautiful.

And I'll defend the BadAss - these are really great bridges!

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1368859611' post='2082265']
Im not a Fender man by any stretch of whatever you want to stretch, but that is rather lovely.
**goes off to stretch something***
[/quote]
Thanks, sprocketflup.
I am, instead, a Fender man. In the sense that, to me, Fenders are the "base" of electric basses.
Simplifying things a lot, I divide bass sounds/tones into two large families: those with a deep/round sound and those with a bright/punchy sound. To me, the Fender Precision is smack in the middle of the first family (with the double bass at its extreme end) and the Fender Jazz of the second (not sure what's at it's extreme end: Stingray, perhaps?).
It would be great to hear what you guys think about this thought (worthy of a thread of its own, do you think?)...

[quote name='Bass-Driver' timestamp='1368866298' post='2082338']
PierBea - congratulations! It's a real stunner. I usually prefer maple fingerborards on Fenders (and Fender-like basses) but this one is perfect just like it is. I'd lose the pickguard but otwerwise everything is just beautiful.
And I'll defend the BadAss - these are really great bridges!
[/quote]
Thanks, Bass-Driver.
I also have a 1989 MIJ P with a maple fingerboard. It was my first bass (bought it new at the time) and I love it. Its neck is really fast (faster than I, I'm sure)! At this time, instead, I prefer rosewood: it just gives me the visual impression (I'm sure there's not much more than that) of a deeper tone.
I agree about the pickguard and, one of these days, I'll take it out to see whether the screw-holes bother me.
The bridge is great, in and of itself. The bass has great sustain and I'm sure it contributes its part to that effect. What I was referring to, was EssentialTension's idea of a piezo in the bridge, with which I agree in full (I think it would be a great feature, as it works great in my Frudua Real Bass, where I use the piezo almos exclusively).

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1368867205' post='2082357']
Very nice Pier, good luck with that.
[/quote]
Thanks, man... You too...

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1365158950' post='2036025']
Personally I'd like a thumbrest, Ebony or Rosewood, would rather have no pickguard or screw holes & no BadAss B) but that's just me ;) quite nice though :D
[/quote]
Precisely correct.