Why become a member? ×

mid to high quality passive single pup bass

2wheeler

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1365113884' post='2035670']
Some sort of precision, I'd hold out for a second hand post 2010 fender or a Lakland Skyline. £900 would buy you a fair bit of P-bass :)
[/quote]

+1 on this . Some kind of a Precision Bass fits the bill . Post- 2008 Fender American Standards or Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub ( 44-64) or Duck Dunn model ( the latter has a skinnier neck profile , if that is what you prefer ) . There are usually good examples of all these in the For Sale section here on Basschat .

Edited by Dingus

Good questions. Despite the temptations of versatility, I seem to get on better with really simple instruments. 4 strings, one pickup, a tone control and everything else is either in your hands or just not there. That seems to work best for me.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1365114869' post='2035693']
Go on then will it be like Qi if it say "why" nee naw nee naw! Why passive why only one pickup? How many strings? 5 being the correct answer btw : lol:
[/quote]

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1365113884' post='2035670']
Some sort of precision, I'd hold out for a second hand post 2010 fender or a Lakland Skyline. £900 would buy you a fair bit of P-bass :)
[/quote]

Yep, my thoughts too.

[quote name='2wheeler' timestamp='1365152467' post='2035904']
Good questions. Despite the temptations of versatility, I seem to get on better with really simple instruments. 4 strings, one pickup, a tone control and everything else is either in your hands or just not there. That seems to work best for me.
[/quote]
A two eq stingray is worth trying, you never know you might love it! Single pickup and simple controls, classic bass that has been used in every style of music, in budget too :)

If you fancy something a bit different and would consider a custom made bass, ACG would build you a mean passive 4 string from their Graft range within that budget - check 'em out >> [url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk"]www.acguitars.co.uk[/url]
You'd have a fair few options too, a choice of shapes, type of pickup etc.
If you want something more trad, I'd look to G&L or perhaps Lakland.

Eude

Edited by eude

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1365149042' post='2035863']
G&L SB1 well worth a look.

I love Fender P basses but these days always seem to opt for my SB1 when gigging.

It's passive but the pup is extremely hot.
[/quote]

+1 for the SB-1 (which I believe is available even though it hasn't reappeared on the website yet), but if you want a slightly more trad sounding G&L then you could try an LB-100 - [url="http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/basses/LB-100/index.asp"]http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/basses/LB-100/index.asp[/url]

Don't rule out the SB-2 - it may have 2 pickups but the controls couldn't be simpler - 2 volumes. I think the idea is that you predominantly favour one pickup and dial in various degrees of the other kinda like a tone control.

Why settle for something mass produced...contact Jon Letts (Lettsbasses) and speak to him. He will be able to build you something special for that price to your own spec.

If you really want to go down the mass produced road then the answer is simple....Lakland skyline Bob Glaub. Best pound for pound P bass on the market.