Why become a member? ×

Just got a MIJ Fender Fretless Jazz bass

Mr Basstastic

New to this forum and just bought a used Fender Fretless MIJ Jazz bass in olympic white. Played bass for a few years then played vintage guitars but have just recently fancied playing fretless bass again. Interested in hearing opinions on the Jap Fender Fretless basses. I must say I have owned various US built Fenders and Musican basses and IMO this is a lovely bass. Only down sides are it feels very heavy and adjusting the truss rod to lower the action was a ridiculous task as you have to loosen the neck!!!
Plays and feels great and for the first time ever I have left the flats on as I always used rounds on fretless but these feel so good I am going to stick with them.

I have a very high opinion of Jap Fender fretless basses - I had one for a while that looked just like yours - sold it to a nice lady who came and collected it from my narrowboat.

I sold it because I didn't have a job for it to do and I have a self imposed rule that won't allow me to keep something I'm not using.

Flats are great aren't they - feel wonderful under your fingers.

Anyway - nice to have you around. I'm the right wing northern gobsh*te who upsets people , you'll soon get used to me !

My main stage bass is a Japanese Fender - a 54 Precision reish in very fetching 'blue flower'. Brilliant bass for me. I can gig it round the worst toilets in the north and not worry too much about it while my precious lifelong friend Mr 73 Precision stays home safe.

They tend to be a lot lighter too - handy for those of us who are long of tooth , grey of follicle and therefore weak of back !!

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1363707334' post='2016257']
My main stage bass is a Japanese Fender - a 54 Precision reish in very fetching 'blue flower'. Brilliant bass for me. I can gig it round the worst toilets in the north and not worry too much about it while my precious lifelong friend Mr 73 Precision stays home safe.

They tend to be a lot lighter too - handy for those of us who are long of tooth , grey of follicle and therefore weak of back !!
[/quote]

Spot on! Dave.

Hey there Mr Basstastic, welcome aboard.
Great basses. I have a hankering for a fretless and was thinking this was the way to go. I have a Jazz Geddy Lee which I love and really like the feel of the earlier Jazz models too. Light as well so good for long gigs!

Enjoy the site

@jrturner77 - thanks for the welcome. im really, really pleased with this MIJ bass. I had a US Tony Franklin fretless which I adored and Im getting the same pleasure from this bass. The tony franklin bass is basically a custom shop bass in all but name and it was outstanding and I measure everything else against it. This is a great bass for not too much money. Delighted!! Will swap for a Tony Franklin though : )

Thanks for the comments guys. Yes they appear to be di marzios. Thats great news. I know in the 60s and early 70s japanese guitars were not that good but to be honest I have never known anything japanese that wasnt of the highest quality. Is there still snobbery over where your bass is made? Are US basses still considered the best generally? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Mr Basstastic' timestamp='1363887474' post='2019000']
Also whats is the difference between CIJ and MIJ?
[/quote]
AFAIK the CIJ instruments were officially meant solely for the Japanese market, but some dealers have imported them to the UK.