Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Given Up

waynepunkdude

I went through a phase of buying the latest kit and every effect going in the search for 'my sound' when I was in my early 30's.

I'd probably have carried on if it hadn't been for a non-musical friend of mine who, having watched me gigging for many years, turned round one night after a gig and said "you used to sound so much better when you sounded like you."

Once I got over the denials that many of us use to justify our expenditure to ourselves, I had to admit... she was dead right.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1363765779' post='2017090']
Most of my favourite bass players only ever played one bass for all/most of their career (Jamerson. Martyn Casey, Simenon, Danny Thompson on DB). Message there
[/quote]

heh, but did anyone ever give you that message Clarky? ;)

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1363765751' post='2017088']
Most of my favourite bass players only ever played one bass (Jamerson. Martyn Casey, Simenon, Danny Thompson on DB). Message there
[/quote]

Good point Clarky, my faves, Foxton, Burnell, McKagan, they`ve had the same sound for years, and have played the same type of bass/same bass for years.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1363747527' post='2017025']
This is where having no money actually comes in handy, you really do have to make the most of what you have. I'm not saying I never get GAS but it's a limp thing with no teeth.
[/quote]
Truth. My recent stint as dolescum made me think pretty carefully about 1. if I [i]really[/i] needed any new stuff; 2. how to get the best out of what I actually had available.

I think we obsess about sound when we're bored with the notes we play. imo very few players a have a sound so distinctive it justifies all the effort, and few bands have room for a bass with so distinctive a sound in the first place.

And on stage if you want to hear yourself you have top have a crappy middy sound more than likely, and the actual sound is in the hands of the guy on the PA and who knows what that sounds like.

As long as the sound you hear yourself make isn't so awful it ruins your feel, I say forget it. it's a P sound or a J sound or a Ricky sound. It's a valve sound or a clean sound. That's it.

I just want to play the best notes and the best rhythm for the song, and that's enough to be worrying about. :)

Okay, slight counter point here;

As a bloke, I feel it is my duty to collect, tweak and twiddle with stuff....In all facets of life: Bikes, music and so on - kinda like curiosity.

So, while I am really happy for people to find their karma. My curious nature ask questions of my kit and the way I play. I am always looking for tips on how to play and get new sounds or do funky stuff. I am always changing my eq and trying a new sound, this leads to trying new basses, amps and accessories therein. But that's how we advance; by listening to, researching and watching others, getting influenced and being influential ourselves without really noticing.

Once I have found what I am looking for, I am sure it will stay (pretty sure I am there right now!). As a guitar player, I stuck with the same setup for ~20 years with very little change, but I went through an awful lot of gear finding out where my sound and feel was.

The problem is, I haven't just been chasing 'that' sound, which God knows is expensive and time-consuming enough (and nearly always pointless, imho) it's also that what I think 'that' sound is, changes over time; so I get close, then think... er - that's not it. [size=4]So now I'm not so bothered about it. Do what's best for the song and what's best for the band - as we know it's all in the fingers anyway. [/size] :D

Edited by discreet

I realised the fact that the problem is within me about a year ago and my GAS suddenly decreased to 30-40% of the previous state. I know I never be a good player, but it doesn't really matter to me. I paid a sh**tload of quid to get my gear but in the end it DID MADE ME HAPPY for quite a while, so I don't complain.
As for the sound, I'm quite sure that one mod I'm about to do with my Tele Bass (adding a hi-output single PU near the bridge) is actually everything I need to be satisfied with the sound. Then, of course, I'll start buying ridiculous analogue effects just for sport, but, hey... B)
We live only once (as long as we aren't Buddhists). ;)

Edited by Immo