Why become a member? ×

Black basses: Cool or boring?

TRBboy

I think black can look classy and understated , and I certainly prefer it to natural wood on most basses , like Wals or F Basses or even Warwicks . Like I said before , it all depends which bass . Black is the utilitarian colour , but it can also look sleek and highly impressive . A black bass makes a statement just as much as any other colour .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1363614348' post='2014735']
Depends on the bass.

BTW most "black" basses aren't.

IMO for a bass to be properly considered black, the only allowable non-black items are: frets, fret markers and strings
[/quote] unlined fretless. No markers. DR black beauties.

Anything else is just not black enough

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1363644863' post='2015354']
Maple neck, unless it's painted or stained = NOT BLACK.
[/quote]

It's a black bass with a maple neck . According to your reasoning no guitar is any colour unless you paint the fingerboard and neck the same colour . To all intents and purposes , if the body of a bass is painted black , that makes it black . That is what the colour refers to . If you see a car driving down the street and its outside paintwork is black but it has a cream trim and cream upholstery , you would still describe the car as black .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1363645927' post='2015373']
Cars are not guitars.

And why is it acceptable for the neck not to be painted the same colour as the body? IMO it looks horrible. Necks should match the body.
[/quote]

Because convention dictates . Cars are nor guitars , but nevertheless , the similarities apply - a guitar does not have to be monochromatic to be its' nominated colour . To my sensibilities and those of most people , you have got it the wrong way round ; when basses are painted all one colour they often look weird , except in notable exceptions .

Edited by Dingus

Maybe I should have been clearer at the start, but I did kind of just mean basses that are painted Black generally, not necessarily basses that are absolute Black (although I can see your point BRX).

After seeing that lovely Status above, maybe I just need some LEDs! :D

So, does everyone think that Black is suitable for pretty much any situation? (Unless you've got a gig that has a very specific image)