Why become a member? ×

We got both kinds of music - country & western

molan

So let's get some kind of context here:

I was bought up on 70's prog & rock & moved to London at the height of the first wave of punk.

Went out with a girl who was a major soul freak who converted me into a bit of a soul boy for a while which slowly metamorphosed into serious jazz funker.

So my general musical tastes were continually moving around from rock to punk to soul to funk, maybe some world stuff on the side and never really drifting into 'real' jazz or classical.

If there was any sort of common theme to all this it was a total hatred of anything country & the slightest whine of a pedal steel would ahve me running for the hills.

Then I was lucky enough to get a bit of a career break and decided to ride a Harley across the USA. I rode through the southern states on a big old Electra Glide that just happened to have a radio on board. Lots of nice open road in states without a helmet law gave me hours to tune around the radio but all I could find was country. None of that vaguely hip stuff that's around following 'Oh Brother' just modern day chart material.

It just kinda fitted the 'moment' of riding through the real heartland of the south but I thought I'd tire of it once I was home. Downloaded a selection of the top 40 that I heard so many times during the 4-5 weeks on the road & got completely hooked!

So here I am in the kitchen listening to downloads on my laptop of the latest Dierks Bently album soon to be followed by Martina McBride. I even try to watch out for the annual Country Music Awards shows - and not just to laugh at the silly hats. . . .

So - am I losing my marbles as I approach my 50th year or is there anyone else out there with a sneaking admiration of Rascal Flatts :)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='206740' date='May 26 2008, 07:19 PM']I've grown up with a dad who loves Boxcar Willy, Wille Nelson and Jim Reeves so yep I'm a closet fan....

Although as I've developed I've gone more hardcore Blues..... :)[/quote]

I went through a blues spell although I hardly ever seem to listen to any these days - maybe the odd bit of RL Burnside but that's about it.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='206743' date='May 26 2008, 07:25 PM']I think its great.

Give me some C&W over (modern) R&B any day.

And I'm 26, so its not just an age thing.

I really need to check out some more contemporary Country. Unfortunately, living in the UK, you need to actively search for it - and I'm pretty lazy.[/quote]

I used to regularly listen to Roughstock Country Countdown which played the latest top 40 but the streaming audio seems to have been removed from the site about a year ago.

Must be some other good country chart radio stations out there though

I too was brought up with parents who loved country & western.

So I too have a liking for a lot of C&W (no closet for me). One of my favourites as a youngster was Merle Haggard's version of Hank Williams' "Lovesick Blues".

And Don Williams has written some beautiful stuff throughout his lifetime, and none more poignant for me than "You're My Best Friend" which my dad had played at my mum's funeral. The lyrics just sums up their relationship perfectly.

There's the same blinkered view of C&W by many which compares to the "Jazz Club" view of jazz in general.

Modern country is part of a fabulous scene in Nashville. IMO where you get a good music scene it feeds into itself and the results can be amazing (think Motown)
There is some really good songwriting going on in the genre and some really great playing.
One of my personal favourites is Alison Krauss a beautiful voice and a seriously good fiddle player, most of her output is of the highest quality. And she has Dan Tyminski and Jerry Douglas in her live band. Can't be bad.

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='206962' date='May 26 2008, 11:44 PM']Modern country is part of a fabulous scene in Nashville. IMO where you get a good music scene it feeds into itself and the results can be amazing (think Motown)
There is some really good songwriting going on in the genre and some really great playing.
One of my personal favourites is Alison Krauss a beautiful voice and a seriously good fiddle player, most of her output is of the highest quality. And she has Dan Tyminski and Jerry Donaghue in her live band. Can't be bad.[/quote]

I bought a guitar from Jerry D once - his signature Strat serial #0001. Hand built in the US Custom shop, beautiful guitar but a good friend fell in love with it and "forced" me to sell it to him, lol.

[quote name='molan' post='206973' date='May 26 2008, 11:57 PM']I bought a guitar from Jerry D once - his signature Strat serial #0001. Hand built in the US Custom shop, beautiful guitar but a good friend fell in love with it and "forced" me to sell it to him, lol.[/quote]
my mistake I meant jerry douglas

I love the more "modern" alt country and the crossover between alt rock and country. The Jayhawkes, Steve Earle, John Hiatt....great stuff. Then I must admit that I secretly admire the fantastic production of "Big Hat" country....I can't stand the music but the players are really good and the sound is normally awesome.

Music the way god intended! Yeee-haaa!

Edited by carlosfandango

[quote name='jakesbass' post='206962' date='May 26 2008, 11:44 PM']One of my personal favourites is Alison Krauss a beautiful voice and a seriously good fiddle player, most of her output is of the highest quality. And she has Dan Tyminski and Jerry Douglas in her live band. Can't be bad.[/quote]

Big AKUS fan here (my God, she's looking hot these days too!). Jerry Douglas is astonishing, but for a while he's was a little too omnipresent. Not his fault, of course...

I used to have a bit of a dislike for C & W for years, but I got into the modern country thing when CMT Europe was on cable TV. Managed to see Trisha Yearwood, Suzy Boggus & Mary-Chapin Carpenter when they toured the UK in the mid 90's.

I would have to say that the quality of the gigs was excellent (Carpenter being particularly outstanding). Great singers, great songs & the musicians were top notch. I always thought the female acts had the edge over their male counterparts (would agree with an earlier poster that Alison Krauss has a fantastic voice).

Cheers,
iamthewalrus