Didn't expect to come out out carrying!

Pawn Shop Mustang Bass, white.

Pics to follow when I'm home!

Edited by Telebass

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1363300032' post='2011399']
Went to visit my niece in Brighton.

She lives 250m from GAK.
[/quote]

That`s just too tempting, she`ll bankrupt you unless she moves.........................

I've tried a couple of pawn shop mustangs , in fact I have just tried a red one today . Lovely basses but I struggled to get much bite out of them unless playing with a pick , quite a mellow sound. Great to play though and the build and finish was superb. I really wanted to like it more but my p bass is a better fit for my bands I think as I play mainly fingerstyle and can get it to bite a bit more. Funny thing is I still would fancy a mustang !!

To get the bite, you do a simple electrical mod. The TEB101 humbucker is a 4-wire jobbie. Under the plate is a taped pair, red and white. Solder red to ground and the white to the green wire on the volume pot. This puts the pickup into parallel mode, halving the impedance from 22k (HOT!) to around 11k, not too far off a standard P-bass pickup. Voila, lots of zing and bite, enough for me to go get some TI Jazz Flats to fit it.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1363457872' post='2013028']
To get the bite, you do a simple electrical mod. The TEB101 humbucker is a 4-wire jobbie. Under the plate is a taped pair, red and white. Solder red to ground and the white to the green wire on the volume pot. This puts the pickup into parallel mode, halving the impedance from 22k (HOT!) to around 11k, not too far off a standard P-bass pickup. Voila, lots of zing and bite, enough for me to go get some TI Jazz Flats to fit it.
[/quote]

But wouldnt sticking it into parallel make it around 5.5k? Basically quartering the impedance?

Also, that bass is very tempting for me. So i need some pictures asap

Why would it quarter it? Zs in series add, Zs in parallel, if there are only two, divide by 2. Same as cabinets. 2 8s in parallel = 4 ohms.

I gigged the bass last night. Great! There was the occasional bout of of finger acrobatics while adjusting to the scale, otherwise very impressed!

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1363515409' post='2013437']
Why would it quarter it? Zs in series add, Zs in parallel, if there are only two, divide by 2. Same as cabinets. 2 8s in parallel = 4 ohms.

I gigged the bass last night. Great! There was the occasional bout of of finger acrobatics while adjusting to the scale, otherwise very impressed!
[/quote]

But you mentioned that the total resistance in series is 22k. That means that each coil is 11k, so in parallel, it would be 5.5k Unless you meant that each coil is 22k, in which casse it would be massive hot in series (44k)?

See speaker example above. Two 8-ohm cabs in parallel don't make a 2...

Yes, it cuts the output a lot. But the unvarnished output, as on the Squier Telebass, is so hot that it's better to plug it into an 'active' input, or engage the pad if your amp has one. Otherwise it can be be a very deep, muddy fuzz box! Of course, this mod can be done with switches to give series, parallel, or even true single coil (coil-split).

As this was a massive impulse buy, the credit card gods need to bne appeased. So, just as a heads-up, going up for sale soon will be a really nice bitsa Jazz, the Plexi P, the Telecaster guitar in my sig, a Mackie 16-ch mixer, and a good many bits and bobs, including a Badass II. Keep your eyes open!